Having A Comfortable Rehearsal Space - Important ??

Jim Mattingly

Ever since back in the beginning stages of starting out playing I remembered the old garage band days, or everyone packed into a 10x10 room, someones parents coming out and saying keep the noise down or time to stop practicing because it's getting late. I told myself that "ONE DAY" I am going to have my own killer practice space. Well that dream finally became a reality about 7-8 years ago. Having literally been raised in Washington, D.C. (home of the brains, yeah right) then moving out to the country in Western, MI., I was taken aback by all the land and space we now had. So, I built a 30x40 barn that is totally dedicated not only to my music, but pretty much music period. I have turned this barn into a rehearsal space, recording studio not only for my band but other bands who are banging on my door to use this barn. I have made this an overly comfortable spot which makes it that much more fun to come and practice. I totally believe the more comfortable you are at a practice space, the more productive your rehearsals will be. We literally have no limitations here, we can play as loud as we want and as late as we want. I also host about 2-3 musicians jams every year. I have had as many as 20 musicians out for a jam and we will play until the wee hours of the morning never having any problems with noise issues or complaints from anyone..As you will see from the pics this spot is better and has more room than some of the venues we play at, a little spoiling. I also own all the PA equipment and never have to worry about equipment, have my own bass rig, all the mic stands and mics needed, music stands, full lighting system hooked up to make practicing as real as possible when we want.

So, how important is it to you to have a comfortable practice/rehearsal spot, and does it or do you think it makes a difference in your bands productivity at rehearsal ??

Attachments

• BandJackieMisc 023.jpg
    BandJackieMisc 023.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 496
  • PA100241.JPG
    PA100241.JPG
    363.3 KB · Views: 469
  • PA210004.JPG
    PA210004.JPG
    433.3 KB · Views: 466
I used to think it didn't matter, until I saw your spread. Very nice!!

Of course it's important to have a place that's not only comfy aesthetically, but sounds good and is a good place to relax. It all contributes to productivity, and maybe helps ideas flow more freely when players are at ease and feeling good about the place they're in.

The places I rehearse in vary widely. For some bands, it's their garage, and that's perfect for those bands. in other instances, spaces range from a medium-sized room with a stage to a fairly large room that will accommodate a p.a., lighting and video. I'm good in any of them, as long as things aren't cramped.

Bermuda

Totally awesome!!

Mate, I live in an inner suburban single front house. Cannot tell you how envious a space that size makes me. That sorta thing is a dream. We're confined to a 'pay by the hour' rehearsal space or someones front room for an impromtu jam session. :)

Great stuff.

Cannot tell you how envious a space that size makes me. That sorta thing is a dream.

Exactly my thoughts. I live in a flat without much soundproofing. No practice pads at night unless at very low volume!

Jim, that's brilliant. Good on ya for making it happen. Beautiful scenery too.

I agree with you. A comfortable, good-sounding practice space with good vibes (in my case, pleasant management of the rehearsal rooms) makes a huge difference to quality of musical life.

Last edited:
Got to agree with that. I remember a thread on another forum about how terrible some people's practice spaces were and i remember people saying about how they had places that were so cold in winter that there was frost on the inside of the window! Dunno about you but i think that if it's going to be -2° F or whatever outside than it's going to be practically impossible to play if you've not got a decently warm practice space because otherwise your hands are either going to be numb or you're going to have to wear gloves or something. The space looks nice. I think some people on here don't have houses that are 1200 square feet lol. Certainly bigger than my flat anyway...

Last edited:
I thought my little practice/recording studio was nice until I saw that.

Wow, Jim, that is amazing.

And yes, I think you need a place you're comfortable.

My jam room is about 15-30 min from my home (in Boston,
so traffic makes a big difference). I like to have a really chill room.

I like to be able to lay down on the couch and nap for
a half hour or so if I'm tired, as opposed to going home and
not feeling like paying gas/tolls later.

I like to have a cold beer from the fridge if I feel like getting into
some serious late night drum-foolery.

I put up posters and tapestries because bland walls make me sad,
candles so I don't smell stale cigs from the other rooms when I'm
breathing deep while playing.

As I stated recently in another thread, I let my atmosphere affect
my playing way too much though, haha.

Meant to post the pics of the lounge area, can't see the large screen TV for watching the game/relaxing/videos etc...Nothing better than being able to relax before, during and after rehearsal. It took many years and working my ass off to get this stuff but it is my sanity assylum and I do treasure it and am very thankful everyday I wake up, definitely count my blessings. I never thought I would ever have anything like this from where I grew up, it was in the cards I guess...

Attachments

• barn 001.jpg
    barn 001.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 470
  • barn 002.jpg
    barn 002.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 414
The lounge area is a nice idea. And the buffet table with plates for food makes it even better!

I imagine your facility is very popular for local musicians.

As long as you have the suburban/out-of-town spread, a setup like that is great, and I agree with the idea of making it a good place to hang out - that's how good ideas happen that lead to great songs, when people aren't worried about the neighbors, bumping into each other, or not being able to feel their guitar strings.

I'm planning on moving up the road a piece to a larger spit of land that has just enough room to build an outbuilding studio/rehearsal room. The finished product will be somewhere in the 600-800 square foot range and I'm going to pour a bit of money into sound reduction, so as not to draw the ire of my new neighbors. But I have lived in the city ten feet from my next-door neighbors, and in an apartment, and can testify - that's not an ideal rehearsal space at all...

The lounge area is a nice idea. And the buffet table with plates for food makes it even better!

I imagine your facility is very popular for local musicians.

Yeah, if we are having a marathon session I will usually make up a pot of venison chili, grill some burgers and dogs or at least have something to get in your stomach and relax with during breaks. I have had about four different bands over for recording and just a ton of musicians coming over to just relax and jam, no pressure just for fun jams. Quite relaxing to just let loose with no structure, no set lists etc...

Back