What to wear at gigs

Saw a guy play naked once... quite literally.

Most of the gigs I've played have been in a suit, but I've played more jazz ensemble/recital gigs then anything else.

Usually wear jeans or shorts, maybe a band t-shirt or a t-shirt, shirt with buttons somtimes (can take it off if you get hot and sweaty), wear a pair of converse (they help me play because they are high but not too high).
Casual really.

T-Shirt, jeans, and Chucks for rock
White button down, black dress pants, black dress shoes for jazz
Usually if im at the right angle to the crowd when im playing jazz i'll take my right shoe off, the dress shoes are too stiff ;)

Obviously I don't play shirtless ... usually it's just black pants and black top. That's what it will be tonight, the temp will be in the mid 30s C (over 90°F).

Rock Clothing you want?

Hot Rock
6717 Hollywood Blvd
Hollywood, CA 90028

Rock on! There is no better.

Please tell me you're under 30 and in reasonably good shape........or a really hot chick.

LOL don't worry I'm 19 and not overweight

Try a fan. Nothing makes me laugh more than a band whose members feel that have to take their shirts off. Back before there existed air conditioning bands wore suits the entire gig. The shirtless thing IMO is a cry for attention and nothing else. It is not cool.

^ To that, some places don't have fans and I can't really afford my own at the moment, also I just don't like watching bands with a bunch of fans on them it looks kind of weird (in my own opinion as well). I don't see a problem with the shirt off as long as pants stay on it doesn't bother me much at all.

Saw a guy play naked once... quite literally.

Most of the gigs I've played have been in a suit, but I've played more jazz ensemble/recital gigs then anything else.

Note to self: Be sure and bring own drum throne when sharing kits with naked guy.

I look damn good with no shirt, yes I love the attention and don't care what the flabby haters think.

I f I didn't want the attention, I prob wouldn't gig in front of an audience??? I would stay home in my airconditioned living room and shovel down cheeseburgers like gruntersdad. I'll pass on the shirt if it's a cheesy bright red Gretcsh shirt that looks like a tent.

Last edited:
I think for classier ensembles, jazz, weddings, wear pants, a nice shirt.

For a blues rock at a smoky bar, I'll wear gym shorts if I want, but the guys up front are in pants all the time.

Usually I'll wear jeans and a t-shirt, I think I've worn Star Wars shirts for the past 6 or 7 shows.

Yeah on stage that looks like crap. Just self-indulgent junk.

Pain is the most effective educator in human existence. Through my self-indulgent pain, I learned an incredible amount about our human existence. You are correct about the self-indulgence! I got tattooed for me!

...but I can pull some mad trim if I flaunt it right! :p

(On most gigs, I wear black slacks, a black dress shirt, and a white tie.)

Why would anyone get so upset over what someone else wears onstage?

I don't see anyone getting "upset" ...

It does come across as somewhat disingenuous to say I live in wherever so I will dress/undress anyway I want because of that.

It might be better to say, my peer group and audience accept how I dress/undress so that's why I do it ... or you could just say "I could care less what anyone thinks" and be done with it.

But hey I live in the heat and humidity capital of the Delta, so don't give me the it's too hot where I live jive!

I look damn good with no shirt, yes I love the attention and don't care what the flabby haters think.

I f I didn't want the attention, I prob wouldn't gig in front of an audience??? I would stay home in my airconditioned living room and shovel down cheeseburgers like gruntersdad. I'll pass on the shirt if it's a cheesy bright red Gretcsh shirt that looks like a tent.

Freakin' ZING!!! That one's gonna leave a mark...

"I'll take "Gruntersdad's" response for $500 Alex"...

I Live in south Louisiana where it's hot AND humid!
I mostly wear a polo type shirt (black) and jeans or a button up. I find I can play just about any gig dressed like this, if I need to be dressier I wear Dockers and a Black dress shirt. A tie does wonders as well...

Back