painting hardware?!

thenumber24

hey guys,

i recently started building drum kits for myself and close friends who needed them (i basically build them for cost, just doing it for fun) but I'm wondering how the best way in my price range to color hardware is going to be (hardware being rims, lugs, tension rods).

do you all think spray paint would work? or do i need a different approach? i thought about possibly getting a small airbrush gun and getting some auto paints to use on the hardware, but i don't know.

i would just like to say that what you're up to is a really cool thing!!

unfortunately i dont have a clue how to help you.... sorry, guy

hey guys,

i recently started building drum kits for myself and close friends who needed them (i basically build them for cost, just doing it for fun) but I'm wondering how the best way in my price range to color hardware is going to be (hardware being rims, lugs, tension rods).

do you all think spray paint would work? or do i need a different approach? i thought about possibly getting a small airbrush gun and getting some auto paints to use on the hardware, but i don't know.

Spray paint won't last. It chips too easily. If you want to do it right, find a powder coater in your area and have it powder coated....

Spray paint won't last. It chips too easily. If you want to do it right, find a powder coater in your area and have it powder coated....

Yep spray paint isn't going to work and for the tension screws if you get anything on the threads they won't thread into the lugs. The other factor you have to consider is prep, I'm not 100% sure with the powder coat but I'd bet you'd have to strip the chrome finish off first.

i figured i was gonna have to strip the chrome finish off, wasn't sure how i was gonna do this. the problem with powder coating is it's insanely expensive from what i understand (i'm in the process of getting a quote, but until then i'm still brainstorming ideas because i'm pretty sure it'll be too expensive)

. i knew the spray paint would chip, but i'm not sure how else to do it within my budget. i figured i would just tape up the screw part of the tension rods to prevent them from getting paint on them.

possibly an auto paint with an air compressor powered spray gun? i dunno something like this maybe...

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac..._/N-25f5?counter=0&itemIdentifier=210210_0_0_

i'm at a loss, honestly, but the colored hardware is basically essential for most of the kits i'm wanting to do.

Probably have to sand blast the hardware before any type of re-finish.

auto paint is still going to chip easier than powder coat.

Why is coloring the hardware "essential" for these kits?

I did this for a friend too! I made him a floor tom out of an old pearl shell (Crap). Put new hardware, lugs, hoops, and everything on it.
Looks awesome!
I spray painted the hardware. But I removed all chrome from it and put 4 coats of clear on it!
He was extremely happy with the results, and I am too! He said the paint has only chipped on the top hoop once, but its only about half a centimeter in length.
What do you guys think??

Attachments

• customtomcaleb.jpg
    customtomcaleb.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 140
painting the hardware is basically a necessity because the kits im going to be building are for a younger group of drummers, and in my experience they tend to like colorful hardware and they stray from the classic and vintage color schemes/looks.

bobdadrumma, you're a badass for that, thanks a bunch! very helpful if i decide to take that route. i did, however, find this website

http://www.egodrumsupply.com/

they will ship you your hardware in whatever color you like and it's about the same price as hardware from other places i've been shopping around. the only problem is i'm not sure if it's a valid site, since the forum for the site hasn't had any real activity on it for like a year and a half. does anyone know if ego is still up and running and taking orders? any experience with ego?

i still may opt for the straight up spray paint option, following the tutorial bobdadrumma linked and putting several clear coats on it. trial and error is the only way to fully know what's gonna work best for me.

to the best of my knowledge ego is real, i have heard it mentioned and have heard of people buying from it on drumshed forum all the time. unfortunately, drumshed is down right now so you'll have to take my word for it ;) best of luck my friend!

Maaate, it's been way too long - we'll need to catch up again soon to talk about the drums I need ;)

Seriously, do not use automotive or other spray paint. These paints are not designed to withstand the sort of impacts created by rim shots and everyday wear and tear from setting up and breaking down kits. It'll start with small crack, which then start to flake off more and more. Multiple layers of clear coat will only delay the inevitable for a little while.

Powdercoating is expensive, but if you do a bulk run you might get more reasonable prices. And the kits you make will continue to look great (pls post some pix).

Back