Equipment evolution

stevo

I was thinking about all the great music I grew up with, and even music that goes back to the 40's.
So it made me think of all the always evolving and new names that have come out in the last 30 years.
But the fact that a lot of these drummers were doing what they do, on equipment that, now would be laughed at? I'm thinking what if some young kid from England was telling all of us he was looking at a Speed King pedal, and that he wanted to do doubles, or tripples on this pedal, how many people here would have told him to save up for a different, upgrade pedal?
So I guess my point is, even with all this ever improving equipment out there, it's amazing what they used because that was just all they had?

For sure.

Consider the fact that drummers used to wrap calf skin around a hoop. Now we just wander down to the shop and they're ready made, all set to go.

I think that good technique and a bit of hard work can take you a lot further than fancy equipment.

I was thinking about all the great music I grew up with, and even music that goes back to the 40's.
So it made me think of all the always evolving and new names that have come out in the last 30 years.
But the fact that a lot of these drummers were doing what they do, on equipment that, now would be laughed at? I'm thinking what if some young kid from England was telling all of us he was looking at a Speed King pedal, and that he wanted to do doubles, or triples on this pedal, how many people here would have told him to save up for a different, upgrade pedal?
So I guess my point is, even with all this ever improving equipment out there, it's amazing what they used because that was just all they had?
I remember my first real pedal, it WAS a Speed King!! It was an awesome pedal back in the day!! They still sell it so, there are those who still like it. I went through a BOATLOAD of pedals (and cash spent) before I realized what pedal geometry would work best for me. I settled on a DW 500 Accelerator and pedals with that type of action and I've been happy ever since.

It's scary to think how much more I would $UCK if the technology had not come along to make things easier.

I remember my first real pedal, it WAS a Speed King!! It was an awesome pedal back in the day!! They still sell it so, there are those who still like it. I went through a BOATLOAD of pedals (and cash spent) before I realized what pedal geometry would work best for me. I settled on a DW 500 Accelerator and pedals with that type of action and I've been happy ever since.

i'm glad i bought a 5002 pedal as my first pedal 'cos then i didn't need to go through a load of pedals :p I agree though i think it doesn't matter what you use because at the end of the day it's about how much practice you are willing to put in as a person that will determine how good you are.

I think that good technique and a bit of hard work can take you a lot further than fancy equipment.

Yes, I agree.. but having good equipment can definately aid. I would rather use a spoon to eat cereal than a fork.

Yes, I agree.. but having good equipment can definately aid. I would rather use a spoon to eat cereal than a fork.

But, you COULD still use a fork. Yeah, that's my big contribution. Deal with it.

Oh, hey, have you guys checked out the new 7000 series spoon from DW? I find it much easier to eat my cereal using heel down technique now...

Sorry to drop in like this. Please tell me if I should be posting this question in another thread.

I've been playing a long time and have played some outdoor festivals over the years. I have never played an outdoor event in Wisconsin, in mid October.

Does anyone have experience and real life tips on things to be aware of, when playing outside in 50 degree weather? I'm comfortable with the aspect of sound and monitors, specific to outdoor gigs, but other than checking the tuning of the drums after they've acclimated, are there any other gotcha's? I'm a little concerned about aggressively playing my cymbals, when it's that cold. Anything else?

Thanks!

You may want to re-post this under "new thread" to get a wider audiance, because where you posted will only be seen by people looking at the original post.
But to answer you question, playing outside will be fine. Your cybals will be fine. As for any time, don't go out of your way to really smash on the cymbals, but,if your tuning is good... have fun.

Well a pocket hand warmer (like outdoorsman use) is a wise idea. Fifty's is pretty cool for the fingers to be loose.

Back