Drumming for Popular Artists

It just came to mind about the drummers of these popular acts nowadays, how do you think they get the chance to do stuff like this (I have no idea)?

Network, network, network.

It is rare an popular artist hold an open to the public audition, although on occasion it does happens. Usually someone in the band, or the management, compiles a list of people they either know, or have been recommended to them by people they trust, and those are the ones who get told when and where the auditions are being held.

Around Los Angeles, you often see name musicians playing small local gigs in-between tours. I used to think it was how they blew off steam, because they can play different things than they do on the name artists tour. But recently, I realized, no, it's how they network. You do a small show with a name bassist or name guitarists, or whatever, and that's how (maybe) your name gets thrown into the hat for the next major thing.

Of the people I know who have gotten some larger tours, it's because they spent years and years doing smaller tours and sessions, building a name, until they got into a position for a major audition.

You never really know though.

Back in the 70's, when Mick Feetwood was looking for a new guitarist for Fleetwood Mac, Mick was visiting a recording studio, and someone said, hey, let me play this track we recorded the other day, and Mick said, "who is that guitarist? I want him for the band" And that's how Lindsey Buckingham joined Fleetwood Mac and which lead to selling some 100 million records over the next 15 years.

Wow thats amazing, the network thing and the Fleetwood Mac story.

Well thanks for the answer to my question, I always thought it would be cool to do something like that.

That's the thing, if you are a really good player, word gets around without you even trying. One of the benefits of honing your craft, local buzz.

I have to say, as musicians go, only about 1 in every 10 I see is any good it seems. I wonder what it's like in real music hotspots.

It's definitely who you know. My uncle has played for some huge names, as well as guys we know at the shop. When we talk to kids like Brendan Buckley and Richie Bravo and Willie Stewart, and Julio Inglesias's drummer, (I'm embarrassed to have forgotten his name), they all tell us the same stuff. Many times, it happens through contacts made in schools, or a professor contacting alumni...

One of the guys at work played at the Latin Grammy's because he most closely met the physical and ethnic description, (good looking, Hispanic, short hair, etc.) He said everyone there could play, some better than him, but they needed a look. I'm sure that goes a long way for many acts.

Thes who you know and if your the right person for the job (eg. how you look (as ?uesto said), your attitude etc.) that seems to be the decisive factors.

There are a few such drummers for popular artists on the drummerworld.com front page.

I could list a few and the artists they performed with if you want to know more:

Dennis Chambers (performed with Santana)
Carter Beauford (also Santana, Belá Fleck)
Aaron Spears (Alicia Keys, Usher)
Vinnie Colaiuta (Herbie Hancock, Sting, Frank Zappa)
Omar Hakim (Sting, Madonna, Maria Carey, Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie)

Great post!!! As hard as it is to hear for those of us who want to get out on a tour, knowing someone is the best way to get placed in those situations. Most bands fill slots based on recommendations and being out and about is how more people can hear you. Also, I'm learning that putting up some great quality video of your playing on YouTube will also assist with this process.

In my couple of trips to LA over the past month or so, I went to a jam at Cafe Cordial and the players there were great! I got to sit in and if I lived there, I would go every Tues. because these cats are definitely playing some high level gigs.

Great info DrumEatDrum

Network, network, network.

It is rare an popular artist hold an open to the public audition, although on occasion it does happens. Usually someone in the band, or the management, compiles a list of people they either know, or have been recommended to them by people they trust, and those are the ones who get told when and where the auditions are being held.

Around Los Angeles, you often see name musicians playing small local gigs in-between tours. I used to think it was how they blew off steam, because they can play different things than they do on the name artists tour. But recently, I realized, no, it's how they network. You do a small show with a name bassist or name guitarists, or whatever, and that's how (maybe) your name gets thrown into the hat for the next major thing.

Of the people I know who have gotten some larger tours, it's because they spent years and years doing smaller tours and sessions, building a name, until they got into a position for a major audition.

You never really know though.

Back in the 70's, when Mick Feetwood was looking for a new guitarist for Fleetwood Mac, Mick was visiting a recording studio, and someone said, hey, let me play this track we recorded the other day, and Mick said, "who is that guitarist? I want him for the band" And that's how Lindsey Buckingham joined Fleetwood Mac and which lead to selling some 100 million records over the next 15 years.

Back