Storage Wars

mikyok

Platinum Member
Having a few problems with the lock up over the past couple of months.

Bit of background, it's been a crappy winter in England this year and Spring has only just rose its ugly head. As a result we've had:

* A water pipe burst next to our room which soaked all the carpets but incredibly didn't damage any equipment.
* A leak in the roof, water damaged my 20" Giant Beat and left me with a soggy cymbal bag. (Thankfully bit of elbow grease rescued the cymbal)

We're lucky in that the owner is quick in getting everything fixed, rent is cheap and it's very convenient transport wise but it's the second time we've had a leak in 12 months and we don't want to stress every time it rains.

Does anyone use the big storage places, how are they security wise? We're not fussed about practicing, I have a pad at home and I'm going to invest in some aerodrums.

A major concern related to storage facilities is the lack of proper heating and cooling. Humidity levels typically run high in units.

Other than temp concerns, having everything on pallets is essential in case this type thing happens.
Here in AZ, the heat is a real issue for any units not climate controlled. I'd NEVER put my kit in one of those as what you'd get after a while wouldn't be a drum set.

Other than temp concerns, having everything on pallets is essential in case this type thing happens.
Here in AZ, the heat is a real issue for any units not climate controlled. I'd NEVER put my kit in one of those as what you'd get after a while wouldn't be a drum set.

Heat will never be an issue in England! We're the only country in the world that isn't prepared for few days of cold weather or the few days of warm weather at the other end! Believe me neither are extreme which is the most annoying bit when you see how other places cope.

It's damp I'm more concerned about. The kits are all on a big shelf in the room.

Worse case scenario I have a box room that only has the tumble dryer in it.

Heat will never be an issue in England! We're the only country in the world that isn't prepared for few days of cold weather or the few days of warm weather at the other end! Believe me neither are extreme which is the most annoying bit when you see how other places cope.

It's damp I'm more concerned about. The kits are all on a big shelf in the room.

Worse case scenario I have a box room that only has the tumble dryer in it.
Storage units with concrete floors will be chronically damp, due to concrete being porous. Concrete absorbs moisture from the ground and radiates it back into the air continually.

A major concern related to storage facilities is the lack of proper heating and cooling. Humidity levels typically run high in units.

Heating is more of the problem, we don't practice at all.

The only heating is gas heaters which you have to buy the gas for. Shouldn't be a problem but our bassist is the only guy who goes there and he is a monumental scrooge. (Typical bassist!)

Needs dehumidifiers and then heat to dry the place out properly.

Storage units with concrete floors will be chronically damp, due to concrete being porous. Concrete absorbs moisture from the ground and expels it back into the air continually.

The big storage places are sounding like a no no!

Could be time for a difficult conversation with the wife........:)

The big storage places are sounding like a no no!

Could be time for a difficult conversation with the wife........:)
Are you renting a detached residence? If so, and if you have plans on remaining, a small storage shed built from scratch would make for an excellent resolve.

Hard-core foam insulation along with proper ventilation and a source of heat, and your equipment would be preserved in style.

Are you renting a detached residence? If so, and if you have plans on remaining, a small storage shed built from scratch would make for an excellent resolve.

Hard-core foam insulation along with proper ventilation and a source of heat, and your equipment would be preserved in style.

Yep it's a detached building, industrial probably but never been exactly sure. We're on the ground floor which makes load in and load out a dream. It's in between two motorways (freeway) as well so you can see why we're reluctant to move.

Oddly enough I have a garage at the bottom of my garden which was built in the 50s from what appears to be surplus WW2 bunker material. Roof is asbestos which is the only problem but this thing has been built to last. No leaks at all and dry as bone inside. Wouldn't take much to insulate it and I have a power cable I can run down from the house. It's a thought!

Yep it's a detached building, industrial probably but never been exactly sure. We're on the ground floor which makes load in and load out a dream. It's in between two motorways (freeway) as well so you can see why we're reluctant to move.

Oddly enough I have a garage at the bottom of my garden which was built in the 50s from what appears to be surplus WW2 bunker material. Roof is asbestos which is the only problem but this thing has been built to last. No leaks at all and dry as bone inside. Wouldn't take much to insulate it and I have a power cable I can run down from the house. It's a thought!
Sounds like a gem in the rough. The asbestos roof isn't a worry providing you leave it be and don't upset it, and solid hard-core foam insulation would provide you with a reliable R-value while acting as a vapor barrier. No need to sheath the inside. Definitely a very affordable option.

Concrete floor? If so, a layer of standard builders vapor barrier plastic (secured and taped around the perimeter) would help seal ground moisture from infiltrating the space through the floor.

If you're talking about just storing gear safely close to where you practice I'd definetly go for climate controlled. That's my plan when I move back to the city. For just my gear, basically my music instruments and camping gear, I don't need much space. The smallest room will do and they're not too bad.

Things might be different in Tipton, though.

Back