Jamming with new band questions

Hewitt2

Hi all,

I know this topic has been done to death. I looked at a few past threads but wanted your insights as to my situation.

In short, after a 20+ year break, I have been playing again for the last few years and am looking for some people to jam with. So I answered a recent Craiglist ad by a newly formed group which confirmed this would be very relaxed with no pressure to gig/earn income but maybe to jam and learn some new tunes several times per month.

I had a call with one of the bandleaders and he confirmed that:

- he is a former working pro as is the other guitarist. They want to meet me on Friday to "feel me out" before we get together to jam.

- When I asked how/when this jam session would be arranged, they advised there is no set format. They have a wide palate of musical interests (classic rock, blues, vintage metal, originals, etc.) and they would let the jam "dictate the direction of the session."

For someone who has been out of the game for so long and only recently took up drums again, I don't know if I am perhaps over my head and setting myself up for failure by just showing up and hoping things work out? Is it not customary to start by having a bit of a safety net i.e. "set list" to get a bit more of a feel for one other and be prepared in some way?

If not, any suggestions by any of you who are more experienced as to how to handle my meet and greet and early jam sessions?

Thanks for your help,

I would say that what you are experiencing is actually pretty common. Anybody can listen to a song and replicate it to some extent, but playing together is about feel and listening and dynamics. Being former pros (for whatever that's worth) they likely know what they are looking for and will gear the jam session to see if you fit those qualities. Don't worry about what you cant do, focus on what you can do and see how it goes. At worst you don't get the gig and you chalk it up to a learning experience. At best you get a gig with some guys who really dig how you play. Either way you cant lose.

Is there:

An appreciable age difference
Set List
Rehearsal spot
References

CL can be a dubious source of mixed potentiality.

Suggest a Ringo song...

And in the words of F1 legend James Hunt when asked how he could drive so fast in a literal gasoline bomb he replied... "Big balls"

Go for it, but don't overplay or try to over state your abilities. Work up a rep with a new outfit takes a bit of time.

Thanks guys for the replies so far. I agree there is not much else I can do other than the show up and be myself. I think I might need to make myself clear that I am just looking for some guys to hang and jam with. If they have more ambitious goals, I probably won't be the best fit.

I really don't have more information about the band (ie set list, references, etc.). They indicated they are 40-55 in age and live/jam in areas close to mine. I am 39 so presumably we would at least have some intersection in music preferences.

Just go and do the meeting. Seems reasonable. Just go in with a blank slate, no expectations, and start evaluating the situation in earnest after you meet and play with these guys.

Sounds to me like they don't want to be pinned down to any structure just yet which is a good wait and see approach. First things first, like basic getting along. If that works, then see about the music.

. I think I might need to make myself clear that I am just looking for some guys to hang and jam with.

Definitely. Goals should be very a #1 priority in the initial discussion.

That said, if you are just pursuing the casual jam thing because you want to ease into it, get together and see what happens. It might be good, it might be bad. The way to find out is to show up and play.

What's the worst thing that can happen? You feel bad for a day or two? You "waste" a few hours?

What's the best that can happen? You get back into playing with a band and experience the pleasure of creating music.

Weigh the pros and cons and remember, no guts no glory.

Not to put a sour note in here, but remember that the musical world of Craigslist is full of a bunch of flaky people - I've met several of them.

Just go for the experience and don't load yourself up with expectations - that way, there's absolutely no disappointment.

Most important, HAVE FUN!

Seems odd they wont give you at least a couple of songs to work on. Usualy if someone tells you you a song they want to do you can glean a lot from there choice, and they can get a good idea if you are a fit by the way you approach the song. It would seem they are just going to throw a song at you and see how it goes. Just give it your best shot and try and enjoy it.

My first Q would be: originals or covers? or both?

Based on my conversations to date with them, the answer is "sure."

There does not appear to be any sort of roadmap as to what we would be doing together. Hopefully our upcoming meet and greet will help for us to build a rapport and confirm how we want our jam sessions to run.

... newly formed group which confirmed this would be very relaxed with no pressure to gig/earn income but maybe to jam and learn some new tunes several times per month...

... there is no set format. They have a wide palate of musical interests (classic rock, blues, vintage metal, originals, etc.) and they would let the jam "dictate the direction of the session."
My take is that there is a guitar player who is itching to play some solos over a standard-ish rhythm section.

"Former pros" probably just means that they used to get paid for doing covers on a regular basis.

Sounds to me like they're into jamming for the fun of it, and so the guitar player can rip on some solos. Actually sounds perfect for a low stress jam situation and I think he really means it when he says it's a no pressure situation, at least for now.

So the take-away for you would be to just relax, lock in with the bass player, and don't noodle over the guitar solos. If experience is any guide - if he's a typical guitar player of that ilk - the less your drumming stands out and the smoother you keep your time, the more he'll like you. Don't get caught up thinking you should be doing what he's doing on drums, or trying to follow him note for note; just keep it straight, easy, and have fun.

Sounds like just what Mike described. Half the time these initial meetings are as much about personalities working as they are about musicality working. Be yourself and be open-minded, but also be mindful of those things that you might not want to put up with in a band situation down the road. Other than that, sounds like a good place to have fun and work on your playing in a group setting.

the less your drumming stands out and the smoother you keep your time, the more he'll like you. Don't get caught up thinking you should be doing what he's doing on drums, or trying to follow him note for note; just keep it straight, easy, and have fun.

IME this applies to the majority of guitarists, across the board. Nothing wrong with that, but it is a truism that drummers really need to understand. The music usually works better that way anyway, so in essence, I have to agree with that arrangement. Someone has to "stay home". It sounds best when the drummer is the one who stays home with groove based music. There's plenty of ways to be musical while "keeping it straight" (which isn't a literal translation, just a basic overall approach)

Dynamics, listening for the spaces and using them tastefully, listening where the guitarist is going (if he is easy to latch on to) and helping him get there, making the tempo feel just right, ghost notes...locking in with the bass player...Save the impressive stuff for endings and keep a lid on big fills...There's plenty of stuff keep busy for that few minutes.

Since Mike mentioned it, trying to match the guitarists leads on the drums...in my world anyway, is a drum crime. His offbeat notes don't mean a thing without a reference point. When the reference point is taken away, the melody (or lead line) is largely rendered impotent.

Great advice everyone. Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

Our first band meet is in 9 days - I will provide an update.

"he is a former working pro as is the other guitarist"

I have heard this before... working pro should be considered a relative term.

Some folks call themselves such things for working birthday parties and other such "events" but... in my view a Professional should have a union card which guarantees a certain standard of musicianship. In fact many who are really at that level call themselves just that: A musician.

Hi everyone,

I came out of our first meet and things went well. We constructed a set list to help guide our first jam in a few weeks' time. I am familiar with about 5 or so of the 9 songs we put together (mostly classic rock and old school metal). Hopefully that should be enough time to work out the songs and show I know what I'm doing!

The people were pretty friendly and relaxed and we all agreed the primary intent is to get together and have fun. I feel good coming out of the meeting and I look forward to playing music again with people. I will let you know how that goes!

my guess would be that they just want to see how you listen and interact with other players. This is pretty typical; I know when I've auditioned for shows I won't be given material, the musical director will just play a few tunes and see if I can hang...

Back