To mention or not to mention?

Church music or any music, if he sucks...fire him. Hello real world.

Do a lot of churches hire musicians?
If they do I was not aware of this.

I always thought they found their musicians from among the members of the congregation.
And that the musicians were donating their time and talents. You know, service to the Lord.

I guess I'm still living way in the past.

I'm with a few others here that, hypothetically its the call of the minister of music/musical director/worship leader, when it comes to musical matters.

On the other hand, membership in a Church is more than just a gig, its a fellowship. So I myself would try to connect with the new player on a personal and spiritual level, before casting aspersions on his/her playing.

But if you can't stand his/her personality, find his/her playing that hideous, and don't like what's going on in general with the ministry, you could hypothetically leave the Church.

I think your best move is to let him be what he is. You can't change him, but you can change how you react to him. I'd say lighten up and give him enough rope to hang himself. That might not happen, but in the meantime, you will be learning tolerance and acceptance. He has a right to be an asshole, who are you to deny him that?

It's not your band, and since everyone thinks he's great, just go with the flow. It's not that important.

I think the fact that you're getting annoyed is more a sign of jealousy.. Not of his playing but of the appreciation he's getting. You wish the non-drummers in the room could see that you're better.

That's reasonable but I wouldn't say anything, I think you'll just come off as jealous.. I dunno maybe you could do something on the bass to highlight his busy-ness/trip him up, or wait in his car with a big knife after practice.

There are two types of drummers ever existed on this planet.

One who plays by keeping time with occasional rolls and the other one WAS none other than Keith Moon...

Even Jesus knows it.

I'm with a few others here that, hypothetically its the call of the minister of music/musical director/worship leader, when it comes to musical matters.

On the other hand, membership in a Church is more than just a gig, its a fellowship. So I myself would try to connect with the new player on a personal and spiritual level, before casting aspersions on his/her playing.

But if you can't stand his/her personality, find his/her playing that hideous, and don't like what's going on in general with the ministry, you could hypothetically leave the Church.

Good advice. He's not my kinda guy but I know this is the right thing to do!

Cheers everyone
Davo

That's a difficult situation.

Here's an idea for you: Record the performance. Listen to it by yourself. Give it an honest evaluation.

I like this suggestion but fear it would be a bit sneaky ...

I think some people don't want to appear too negative in church and so they may "over praise" the new guy or girl to show their support, and to make the new musician feel good and at home. I wouldn't take all the compliments the new drummer is getting too seriously. You probably are correct in your assessment of overplaying and playing too loud or flashy.

This is so true. However, I am suspicious of my own opinion is coloured by my desire to play drums instead of him.

You know as I've gotten older, in all kinds of situations I'm beginning to just be more patient and holding my tongue. And it always works out because somebody else will bring it up, or the offending person just implodes and becomes a non-issue. I used to have an issue with everything in my younger days which may have branded me as "the Complainer", now I just get along and it tends to attract more people rather than repel them.

I say be cool for a bit and watch what happens - busy drummers are like novelty acts. Everybody figures it out in the end.

Very wise as ever. Sitting it out and quietly fuming is my normal mode of operation. I'm not sure whether this is wise or just-can't-face-the-grief?

What does the musical director say? If he/she doesn't think the new guy is overplaying, then maybe he isn't? Just because it's not to your taste doesn't necessarily mean it's inappropriate. And I'd pretty much argue the point that if the rest of the musicians are digging it and most importantly, the audience are appreciative and enjoying themselves, then it certainly isn't.

As a bassist, I think you're perfectly entitled to have a chat with him about how best to approach playing together as a rhythm section, but I'd also be sensitive that everyone else seems to dig what he doing, so maybe it's not as OTT as you believe it is. I see tons of drummers who approach music differently to me.........it doesn't make them wrong, it just makes them different.

This is EXACTLY why I'm posting. I can find fault with some timing issues and fills that go wrong but fundamentally it's the grooves that I object to.

I would be grateful as heck if I got a second drummer like that. When I end up playing bass, many times I have to refrain from throwing it aside and getting behind the kit myself, such is the average ability level of our second-string drummers.

Give it time. Most people didn't learn to play for the song overnight.

BUT IT's KILLING ME.

Dave, I can't offer any useful advice to help you navigate through the dynamic in your church, but maybe you're the guy who missed that tiny section on the skirting board, but everyone else is just happy that the room got decorated. A small annoyance can so easily turn into a fixation & get under your skin. That said, as I can't hear the performance, maybe you're politely understating the issue, & the guy is really ruining the music big time. As I know you to be a kind, considered, & understated man, I'm thinking it's a bit of both.

LOL, You've just descibed the missus - not me with the skirting board. Sweet words - am I really that nice?

I always thought they found their musicians from among the members of the congregation.
And that the musicians were donating their time and talents. You know, service to the Lord.

That is still the case for most churches, the only paid post in my church is the worship minister.

Cheer one and all.

Glum
Davo

This is EXACTLY why I'm posting. I can find fault with some timing issues and fills that go wrong but fundamentally it's the grooves that I object to.

I get that. But so far it appears as if you're the only one finding fault and objecting. You've noted nothing but positive responses from both the other musicians and the audience.

Maybe I'm not reading you correctly but going solely on what's being presented here, I reckon that says something.

What can you gain by speaking out?

What can you lose by speaking out?

Weigh these two up and decide your path.

And once having decided, let it go.

I wouldn't say a LOT of churches hire musician but there are many that do. Often these churches my have trouble filling a certain spot from their congregation. Some churches have completely paid bands, but not many. I know one church that practically ran themselves bankrupt because they had to have the very best music every week.

Most church musicians including myself play for free. Where I play depends on what church I'm going to.

I have paid to play at other churches for special occasions. For example, I've been paid to play trombone for a Christmas and Easter "Orchestra".

Last edited:
Short answer: ask the music leader what he thinks of the drumming. It's ultimately his call (or the pastor's) as to what's acceptable/appropriate playing.
On a personal note, you should be praying about this. I'm not sure how upset you really are or if it's just an annoyance, but remember the point of this band is to worship and lead others in worship. Don't let this fester and negatively affect your role in the band.

When concerned about offending people or causing trouble, it is much more important how you say something rather than what you say. I've told people "You're fired...I quit...I don't want to date you any more...I don't believe you...", etc. in very calm amicable productive discussions. Of course, it doesn't always work, but when it doesn't, then those are people I probably want nothing to do with anymore anyway. On the flip side, I've known people who couldn't tell you their favorite color without getting into a fistfight.
My advice to you would be to work on your composure (i.e. let go of all anger and envy), and try to have an objective discussion with whoever is in charge about why you think the playing is inappropriate. Be gracious and accepting whether you win or lose, but at least you'll have had your say.

I've studied with some great drum/percussion and piano instructors and they have the nicest yet most direct way of criticizing. In this case I do think there is a way to say something constructive to the drummer in question, while "biting your tongue" critically.

In casual conversation, perhaps acclaim some other drummers which styles which you have recently heard and prefer, in their presence. (less aggressive, loud f/ff)

make mention that you are impressed with THEIR styles, perhaps as an unspoken challenge?

Back