Anyone wanna buy Buddy Rich's cymbals?

If I could afford them I would go for it.
I laughed at the shipping charge. Pretty funny:)

Neat find. They are in excellent shape.
Never studied Buddy's setup closely but his cymbals have a higher profile than I imagined.
Was also surprised to see tape.

Man, buddy's a dick even in the afterlife

Stories I've read is Buddy used to get new cymbals all the time.

So a cymbal owned by Buddy may be rare, it would not be a one of kind.

OK, they're authenticated, but were they used on a recording? Or just one night? Or a over a period of time?

$30K seems ridiculous for just the cymbals.

I just saw these in The newest Modern Drummer. The story was that some guy was cleaning out his uncles house after he passed. The uncle was a member of Rich's band and had them for some reason.

It would be a fun set of cymbals to have, but not 30k fun!

There's no reason to buy used cymbals, regardless of owner, for anywhere near that price. You can fly to the factory, stay a week, hand pick your pack and fly home for less than a third of that. Even as a Buddy Rich fan I don't care who played my gear before me, it's used.

There's no reason to buy used cymbals, regardless of owner, for anywhere near that price. You can fly to the factory, stay a week, hand pick your pack and fly home for less than a third of that. Even as a Buddy Rich fan I don't care who played my gear before me, it's used.

That's not the point of this particular purchase though. Whether you can find the same cymbal cheaper on eBay, or even fly to the factory for a brand new one, is irrelevant. These are an intended investment. You're not gonna fly 'em on your kit on Saturday night playing the local pub circuit, you're gonna lock 'em away and hope for an increase in value. They are an investment, just like art, shares, property, rare stamps, signed sports memorabilia or most anything else that people buy in the hope of seeing a return on that investment in the future. Granted there's no guarantee the gamble will pay off......but then again, there's no guarantee your share portfolio will be enough to sustain your retirement either. But ultimately, the principle is the same.......whether 30k is too high, only time will tell.

those cymbals are worth $5000.00 tops unless they can be directly tied to a certain recording, TV performance or tour

other than that they are just one of the thousand sets of cymbals that Buddy played over his career ..... some of which he played once

As a collectible, they are worth as much as someone will pay. One of Wes Montgomery's
guitars (a Gibson L-5c that was in a fire and very much burned up) was rebuilt/restored by
GIbson and sold for over $100k years ago. Look at the prices of solid body guitars played by
legendary rock stars etc and what they are fetching....yeah, it's a collectible market and the
price can go very high. For that market, 30K might be reasonable. I can't imagine it being part of my world though.

One thing that popped out in the photos was the Lack of Advertising in huge letters.....the way I remember cymbals....and
they are much more pleasing to the eye without the ads in my opinion.

Last edited:
As a collectible, they are worth as much as someone will pay. One of Wes Montgomery's
guitars (a Gibson L-5c that was in a fire and very much burned up) was rebuilt/restored by
GIbson and sold for over $100k years ago. Look at the prices of solid body guitars played by
legendary rock stars etc and what they are fetching....yeah, it's a collectible market and the
price can go very high. For that market, 30K might be reasonable. I can't imagine it being part of my world though.

One thing that popped out in the photos was the Lack of Advertising in huge letters.....the way I remember cymbals....and
they are much more pleasing to the eye without the ads in my opinion.

the difference with Wes Montgomerys guitar is that you could most likely find a pic of him playing it and date when and where or how long he played it

these are just some random cymbals and in my opinion without a connection like that are worth what any other vintage Zildjians are worth

the difference with Wes Montgomerys guitar is that you could most likely find a pic of him playing it and date when and where or how long he played it

these are just some random cymbals and in my opinion without a connection like that are worth what any other vintage Zildjians are worth

Your point is taken and I wouldn't have bought either even if I had the money but the cymbals
may very well bring more than we think they are worth. It happens all the time. There are a lot of collectors "out there" that
aren't drummers and are buying up all the older K's they can find "as an investment". Last year I was talking to the manager of
a high end botique well known drum store that told me he has collectors come in and just ask "got any old k's...how much" and then
pay the price without even listening to them. (I realize Buddy's cymbals were A's not K's but to make the collector point)

As a service to drummers on the forum I think it is great that people are offering what they think "the real value" might be. This is one of the reaons
I keep coming back here. Learning, learning, learning...and on occasion offering up.

Last edited:
I just saw these in The newest Modern Drummer. The story was that some guy was cleaning out his uncles house after he passed. The uncle was a member of Rich's band and had them for some reason.

How did the uncle get them? Why did the uncle get them? It doesn't sound like Buddy Rich to give anything of his to anyone who played in his band.

For all that we know they could be cymbals that Buddy hit for a while and rejected.
The seller does have a good history though.
Hmmm...

Whether or not these were played on a specific recording or not, I still think this is kinda cool.
The price is a little out of my range unfortunately, but only by a bit... ;)

You're not gonna fly 'em on your kit on Saturday night playing the local pub circuit, you're gonna lock 'em away and hope for an increase in value.

I would play the hell out of them. Spending a ton of cash and not using the item is like buying a Ferrari and never driving it. It is just a waste of money, might as well set the cash on fire.

Granted there's no guarantee the gamble will pay off...... time will tell.

They have been listed since late October. Guess it isn't paying off.

There are a lot of collectors "out there" that aren't drummers and are buying up all the older K's they can find "as an investment". Last year I was talking to the manager of a high end botique well known drum store that told me he has collectors come in and just ask "got any old k's...how much" and then pay the price without even listening to them.

I have one of those old K's, the Turkish ones that collectors want. While I love the cymbal, for the right price I would let it go in a heartbeat. It is only a cymbal after all.

People place too much value on material items. They are only things and can be replaced.

It is just a waste of money, might as well set the cash on fire.

Nah mate. The investment principle I'm referring to isn't like outlaying a ton of cash on a modern Ferrari only to have it sit idle, at all. It's more like buying an old classic car that was owned by Steve McQueen for example. You may drive it occasionally, but there's no way in hell you're gonna treat it as your daily drive. And you're certainly not gonna leave the thing in the Wal-Mart car park whilst you shop. That's not protecting your investment at all. Much in the same way that drinking a $5,000 bottle of wine, or hitting balls with Babe Ruth's bat, or sticking a rare and valuable stamp on an envelope defies the purpose of outlaying that much cash in the first place.

As to waste of money, well that'll ultimately be determined by what he eventually sells them for versus what he paid for them to begin with. But say you knew you could eventually get 50k for them, all of a sudden 30k seems well worth it, no? That's the angle that anyone who even remotely thinks these things are worth 30 grand is gonna come at it from.

Lots of reason to doubt their origin.
Maybe the seller deserves some cash for surviving in Buddy Rich's big band.
I hear he could be kinda hard on people

Funny how does somebody come up with a 30K assessed value?

Back