The BEST drum stool?

The Roc-N-Soc saddles are always great, as are the Pork pies, but those can get expensive.

There are many great fitting comfortable drum thrones out there, but like anything else, you should get your butt out there and try a few. I like the Roc N Soc hydraulic saddle and also the Tama hydraulic round throne. I also have a DW 5000 series which is very comfortable and also an old Pearl seat that I'm still using, along with a couple Tama Round Riders. If you try them out, sit on them for ten or fifteen minutes just to make sure that there are no issues. I bought a Roc N Soc round seat several years ago and didn't notice until I got it home that it would stop the blood circulation under my legs after about fifteen or twenty minutes. That's when I returned it and bought the saddle seat version.

Dennis

I can get Pork Pie saddles for 179$ is that a good price?

Is that in Aussie dollars? God I hope you're not having to ship from the US to your country - you guys down there pay so much more to have good gear it's shameful! The Pork Pies here in the US can be had for under $130 plus tax. Good throne, but I felt a little too soft - I sunk into it too much. I like a stiff throne, like a DW, Tama, or the Roc-n-soc. But you really have to try them to see what you like. I go back and forth with the Roc-n-soc saddle and the DW round seat - at times I just prefer the round seat.

I'll vote for the Roc & Soc. I like the hydraulic, but the cylinder failed after a few years midsong at a gig, so I went to the spindle. I'll be using that until I die, of that I am sure. It's built to last.

As a modification, I got a sturdy cord, attached each end to a screw underneath the throne top, to use as a handle. Now I can carry my throne top with one finger. It makes it SO much easier to carry. In fact, I tied rope handles to all my drums. Since I shed the cases, it's much easier to carry them. The inspiration for that came recently when I had to carry my floor and 2 rack toms stacked on top of each other for like 3 blocks by just the rim of the floor tom. Fun times.

Is that in Aussie dollars? God I hope you're not having to ship from the US to your country - you guys down there pay so much more to have good gear it's shameful! The Pork Pies here in the US can be had for under $130 plus tax. Good throne, but I felt a little too soft - I sunk into it too much. I like a stiff throne, like a DW, Tama, or the Roc-n-soc. But you really have to try them to see what you like. I go back and forth with the Roc-n-soc saddle and the DW round seat - at times I just prefer the round seat.

It's in US dollars. Have a look at this:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/greenbrierm...&_odkw=&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3911.c0.m270.l1313

ACFIr7sTF.jpg

this costs around $180 AUD from a drum shop... with warrentee, and its probably the most comfy stool i've ever sat on. its as comfy as my roc n soc, however this is softer, the roc n soc is harder (but not too hard)!

i highly suggest you get this.

ACFIr7sTF.jpg

this costs around $180 AUD from a drum shop... with warrentee, and its probably the most comfy stool i've ever sat on. its as comfy as my roc n soc, however this is softer, the roc n soc is harder (but not too hard)!

i highly suggest you get this.

I have the same stool but with the Dixon label it sells for about $60 less, Dixon and Gibraltar hardware are built in the same factory, along with some Cannon and Worldmax products as well.

Last edited:
Can I put in a word for the Pearl Roadster? It's a rock solid seat and not over expensive. Not sure if they still make them but I got mine about 5 years ago when I went double pedal.

The first thing I found about double pedal work is that you need a really firm solid seat, otherwise you will fall off of it.

You need to be firmly planted. So I swapped my traditional round top stool for the Roadster, which has a big bike saddle made of firm cushion material. This lets you sink in just a little bit and makes it easy to stay upright even when all four limbs are in action.

This is interesting. I sit on an exercise ball at the computer here. Anyone sit on this yet?

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    56.8 KB · Views: 3,122
I have a DW 9101 and Tama 1st Chair. Both are very good. I will likely get a Ford Smart Ass throne with back support at some point.

GJS

I'll put my vote in for Pork Pie thrones as well.
I've got a big boy throne top, as well as the regular round top and they both cover the bases. The big boy is nice and firm, and gives me a large space to sit on, I prefer it for live performances to the round top.

The round top actually had some holes punctured in it while being shipped (which led to a steep discount on my end) so it sinks in real nice and soft, and I prefer it for practicing at home / on my electric.

Roc-n-socs are very comfy. Very expensive as well though.

Just picked up a Roc-n-soc hydraulic tractor style seat. I've cut corners on throne's in the past but finally realized it's the last component to try to go cheap on. Plus, I'm 58, I can't sit on a picnic bench for 4 hours anymore.

Back