Mike Portnoy Quits DT??

Biscuit

Now before everyone loses their mind on me let me say that i haven't found anything to support this announcement on Dream Theatures' web site or Portnoys' web site. This is what Mike had posted on his Facebook page today and is purely the only source this comes from. It reads....

From his Facebook:

Wednesday September 8th 2010

I am about to write something I never imagined I'd ever write:

After 25 years, I have decided to leave Dream Theater....the band I founded, led and truly loved for a quarter of a century.

To many people this will come as a complete shock, and will also likely be misunderstood by some, but please believe me that it is not a hasty decision...it is something I have struggled with for the last year or so....

After having had such amazing experiences playing with Hail, Transatlantic and Avenged Sevenfold this past year, I have sadly come to the conclusion that I have recently had more fun and better personal relations with these other projects than I have for a while now in Dream Theater...

Please don't misinterpret me, I love the DT guys dearly and have a long history, friendship and bond that runs incredibly deep with them...it's just that I think we are in serious need of a little break...

Dream Theater was always my baby...and I nurtured that baby every single day and waking moment of my life since 1985...24/7, 365...never taking time off from DT's never-ending responsibilites (even when the band was "off" between cycles)...working overtime and way beyond the call of duty that most sane people ever would do for a band...

But I've come to the conclusion that the DT machine was starting to burn me out...and I really needed a break from the band in order to save my relationship with the other members and keep my DT spirit hungry and inspired.

We have been on an endless write/record/tour cycle for almost 20 years now (of which I have overseen EVERY aspect without a break) and while a few months apart from each other here & there over the years has been much needed and helpful, I honestly hoped the band could simply agree with me to taking a bit of a "hiatus" to recharge our batteries and "save me from ourselves"...

Sadly, in discussing this with the guys, they determined they do not share my feelings and have decided to continue without me rather than take a breather...I even offered to do some occasional work throughout 2011 against my initial wishes, but it was not to be...

While it truly hurts for me to even think of a Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy (hell, my father named the band!!), I do not want to stand in their way...so I have decided to sacrifice myself and simply leave the band so as to not hold them back against their wishes....

Strangely enough, I just read an interview that I recently did that asked me about the future of DT and I talked about "always following your heart and being true to yourself"...sadly I must say that at this particular moment, my heart is not with Dream Theater...and I would simply be "going through the motions", and would honestly NOT be true to myself if I stayed for the sake of obligation without taking the break I felt I needed.

I wish the guys the best and hope the music and legacy we created together is enjoyed by fans for decades to come...I am proud of every album we made, every song we wrote and every show we played....

I'm sorry to all the disappointed DT fans around the world...I really tried to salvage the situation and make it work...I honestly just wanted a break (not a split)...but happiness cannot be forced, it needs to come from within....

You DT fans are the greatest fans in the world and as you all know, I have always busted my ass for you guys and I hope that you will stay with me on my future musical journey, wherever it may lead me....(and as you all know my work ethic, there will surely be no shortage of future MP projects!)

Sadly...

Your fearless ex-leader and drummer,

MP

I wonder if he's going to be full time Avenged Sevenfold now?

That was the first thing that came to mind for me as well. Not shure about it though. Right now i just wish i could find another source that could confirm this announcement. If this turnes out to be not true i'm going to end up the biggest horses ass on this forum! haha

Why would anyone be "sh547ing bricks"? The guy just wants and needs a break. If he has the power to do it and still keep his lifestyle, more power to him!

Yeah, I just read that.

It's also on Mike's official website on his forum:
http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2585154.aspx

On one hand, as a big DT fan since 1991, I'm shocked. I never thought I would ever read such a thing.

On the other hand, the last two DT albums were terrible IMHO, and Mike's "leadership" has been a factor (although not the only factor) in such poor outings, so I think a break is certainly in need.

Although I can't imagine paying good money to go to see DT if Mike isn't behind the drum kit.

I saw this. A lot of people I know are shitting bricks. I wonder if he's going to be full time Avenged Sevenfold now?

I don't see any indication he's going to do AX7 full time. I take it more as he wants to "free lance" and not be tied down to any one band right now.

Although it does mean he'll probably do more touring with AX7 beyond the initial dates he committed to.

Why would anyone be "sh547ing bricks"? The guy just wants and needs a break. If he has the power to do it and still keep his lifestyle, more power to him!

Mike Portnoy is a very famous and influential drummer. As you read in the quote from his facebook, he'd been working with DT for over twenty years, which is a long time for bands nowadays. He's also the leader and song-writer, so if he leaves, that's taking an amazing chunk of the band's spirit and idea with him and away from fans.

No Portnoy practically means no Dream Theater, at least to the fanbase.

Well they don't see the entire side of it. They think he's and idiot and all these things. I believe he'll be able to do a lot more now though and not have people constantly bugging him about the couple of DT albums.

Although I can't imagine paying good money to go to see DT if Mike isn't behind the drum kit.

How long did it take for Pearl Jam to tank after that guy Dave left the drum chair? I remember that being a big deal back then, and I couldn't understand it. I mean, it's rare for a married couple to stay together, but a whole band? That's tougher.

Strange.....I've always been taught that the general concensus for your own band is.....NEVER LEAVE!!

Too much to lose down the road. I'll use the example of Aussie act The Little River Band. One by one the founding members left, leaving new guys to come to the forefront....only to be banned from using the name (and a lot of other things) years later. In their case, not one original member left, but the newcomers have all rights to the LRB brand. They are just one example. Guns 'n Roses are another......Axl retains all rights to the G 'N' R brand purely because the others left.

Personally, I'd rest it, put it on a hiatus....whatever. But I'd hang on tight to that which I created. You never know what you may want to do in the future.

Mike Portnoy is a very famous and influential drummer. As you read in the quote from his facebook, he'd been working with DT for over twenty years, which is a long time for bands nowadays. He's also the leader and song-writer, so if he leaves, that's taking an amazing chunk of the band's spirit and idea with him and away from fans.

No Portnoy practically means no Dream Theater, at least to the fanbase.

This.

Portnoy is the undisputed leader of the band. He co-produces all their albums, directs their DVD releases, writes a portion of the music and roughly 1/2 their lyrics, does a majority of the bands press, writes the bands set lists on tour, and just about everything else for the band. He is far more than just the drummer, or a 1/5th member of the band.

I'd never have thought you could get bored of being in a band that progressive.

The next drummer has some big shoes to fill.

The very thought of Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy makes me sick to my stomach.

So if I have it straight, Mike just needed a break but the rest of the band didn't, and were willing to carry on without the drummer and co-founder? Something's not right, this has to be about more than money. Their's absolutely no way the other guys couldn't of found work during the break. I'm wondering if their were some personal issues going on behind the scenes?

One of the worst days of my life.

-Jonathan

I'm wondering if their were some personal issues going on behind the scenes?

Seems obvious there is,..er, was.

I've chit-chatted with Mike at NAMM shows in the past, and he's usually pretty down to earth, and upbeat about discussing DT.

This last January, I saw him, and I asked about a summer US tour, and he said no, and made some comment about "well, you didn't just have to spend the last 7 months on the road with them". I thought it was a bit odd that he'd be a bit snappy, but then again, it was a long day, it was late, and I was probably the 1001 person to ask him the same question, so I didn't think much about it.

And then I read an recent interview somewhere, and he made a very back handed comment about James Labrie, which struck me as an odd thing to say about your bands singer.

So I'm guessing tensions have been brewing for a while.

Well i'm glad most everybody else got wind of this also. I'm not sweating bullets anymore thinking i've posted something that could possibly be not true.

I'm not a huge DT fan but i am a fan of Mike Portnoy. If this is just a needed break or this turns out to be a permenent decision, either way i wish Mike the best with whatever he decides to do.

Well, I think it was very cool, what he did. He obviously wanted (and needed) some time off ... and DT (someones) didn't want to give it to him. And were willing to go on without him. So he walked away. Didn't fight them over the name, but wished them luck, and he's off. If they make it "without him", great ... if they crash and burn ... well, that's on them too.​
Mike Portnoy will continue to be ... Mike Portnoy. No matter who he's playing with.​

maybe they can hire Curious George to fill his shoes....I dont understand why this guy is so famous.

F

Like someone said, the last couple of DT albums were terrible.

The first thing that popped into my mind was that the Big DT Machine is loosing steam, and MP is just making a career move to remain viable in the music/drum scene.

My 2 cents

True or not, my best wishes to Mike Portnoy on his DT break. Another replacement can be John Tempesta, but his having a good deal going on with The Cult.

Back