confused about the right heads

Sam1

I'm looking for some new heads top n bottom for a 12"x9 tom, 16"x16 floor tom and a 22"x18 bass for a second hand premier astria I've bought, I want a nice thump with not to much sustain and easy to tune, from looking on line I'm thinking Evans ec2's and ec reso on the toms and may be emad bass heads, is this a good idear? Suggestions please as I am new to tuning and buying heads

I'm looking for some new heads top n bottom for a 12"x9 tom, 16"x16 floor tom and a 22"x18 bass for a second hand premier astria I've bought, I want a nice thump with not to much sustain and easy to tune, from looking on line I'm thinking Evans ec2's and ec reso on the toms and may be emad bass heads, is this a good idear? Suggestions please as I am new to tuning and buying heads

I am sure the ec2 tom heads will work for you. My experience of the evans emad kick head is not so good. In this instance I would recommend aquarian super kick 2 over and above emad system. But this is based on my kit which is not Premier Aristar. Please consider that drum sounds on recordings are often hugely processed compared to the original sound. Often the source sound is more open than a recording or even live gig sound might imply. Tuning is all about even small adjustments, most premier drums have a distinct sweet spot, trying to over or under tune will just not work.

I learnt to drum on a yellow premier resonator / happy days...... So enjoy your drums

Cheers, the bass head looks good but what would u recommend for resonant on the bass? could do with heads that are easy ish to tune but sound good, think ec2's are good for this but would u say ec reso's are a wise choice as well?

Simply go for a thinner resonant head, I am sure the companion evans reso is a good match. A good general rule is just to tune the reso a little higher than the batter kick. Once you have the heads in tune with themselves play the drum and get the reso to resonate in sympathy just above the batter head frequencies. Also remember a drum tuned up in a small room sounds very different in a venue and listen to the kit as a whole not individual drums.

I love EC Resonants. I have put them on all of my toms and the toms at church. Peace and goodwill.

Cheers, that's what I'll go with on the toms, think I'll go with sk2 and eq3 resonant on the bass, unless that's a bad idear?

SK2 is a great kick head for the sound you describe. I have one on my kick (also 22x18).
I couldn't be sure what my front head is as it's a Gretsch branded one but it reminds me of a Remo PS3 - It has a ring of extra ply around the edge. You might even want to just change the batter on the kick first for the SK2, and see if you like the sound like that - you might not need to change the front at all.

Another good option for your tom batters would be the Black Chromes. They've got a very deep, punchy sound.

As for your kick, the EMAD2 would be perfect. Cheers!

My suggestion on the bass would be that if one head is muffled the other should not be. For example, if you have an SK2 or EMAD2 on the batter, the reso should be unmuffled like a standard Ebony Weather King or something. If you use an EQ3 on the reso, then opt for a G2 or Emperor as your batter. Also, acoustic foam works great as an internal muffler maybe 6 to 8 inches by whatever depth your bass drum is. Good luck.

Back