Lottery win - which kit?

Magenta

Platinum Member
Two parts to this question: firstly, if you won the lottery, which kit (apart from a Guru and a Mapex Saturn, obviously) would you buy, and why?

Secondly, I like to be prepared. My lottery win is imminent. Which kit should I buy, when my ship comes in? It has to be something reasonably appropriate to me, i.e. perhaps a shade or two indulgent, but not exactly Messalina.

I'm a late-starting hobby drummer, but I take it pretty damn seriously.
I don't play anything heavy, and I have a lightish touch.
It has to be sparkly. I don't care how good it sounds or how good it feels, the sparkly is non-negotiable.

A custom Trick kit in that natural grey finish that GC used to have. Sizes would be 24x14, 14x12, 16x14 or 18x16. Then I'd probably buy two 20in or 22in Dream Energy crash rides and 15 hi hats.

On ebay there is the actual Tama Imperialstar kit that Lars used during the ..And Justice for All tour. I think I would buy that kit just because I am a huge Metallica fan boy. Then I would just buy a crap load of Sabian Vault cymbals and keep the ones I like the most.

for you Mage...something vintage I think. You seem like a cool old school kinda chick. I think a set of vintage Luddy's. Not the new replica's, but an actual set of 1950's Ludwigs in Blue Pearl or Gold Flash (both sparkly per your request). sound great, feel great, and most of all look great.

This kit:

neil_d13.jpg

Not a kit that looks like that, mind you. That kit.

My first kit was a Ludwig Super Classic, but it didn't look quite like that.

On ebay there is the actual Tama Imperialstar kit that Lars used during the ..And Justice for All tour. I think I would buy that kit just because I am a huge Metallica fan boy. Then I would just buy a crap load of Sabian Vault cymbals and keep the ones I like the most.

for you Mage...something vintage I think. You seem like a cool old school kinda chick. I think a set of vintage Luddy's. Not the new replica's, but an actual set of 1950's Ludwigs in Blue Pearl or Gold Flash (both sparkly per your request). sound great, feel great, and most of all look great.

One of my very good friends is a Metallica fan boy. I've never actually heard them, meself; keep meaning to. I think I'd like them.

But you do like to live dangerously, don't you? Rethpect!

I was thinking along the lines of Ludwig, if I'm honest, but I'm not quite 1950s vintage; not sure how much it matters, if it's sparkly.

If I won the lottery. I would not buy a drum set.
I'd hire some of the best drummers when ever I needed to play a gig. And I'd instruct them as to what I wanted them to play........
(Hey, I'm paying the cost to be the boss)

I love vistalites and I love purple so my lottery kit would probably look something like this:

Attachments

• ddrum%201.jpg
    ddrum%201.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 1,794
OK, I changed my mind. I would buy all the hardware and shells and build my own kit. Gold hardware with stained wood.
Something like this:

$(KGrHqF,!qEE-vkmR4P)BP3SFMD7tg~~60_58.JPG

Gretsch USA Custom.....there is no comparison to that Great Gretsch Sound

I would order a kit made from exotic woods in a natural finish with a 20" kick, 12" rack, and 15" floor. Stave or steambent, no ply shells. Nickel hardware, shallower-than-normal depths, wood hoops perhaps. And maybe a second kit with 24" kick, 13" rack, 15" floor, 18" floor. Preferably from Ludwig or a brand that rhymes with Shmuru. Istanbul Agop cymbals all around. And a couple Ludwig snares. Like a lot of a couple. And some Shmurus. Like a lot of Shmurus. Say that out loud. Shmuru. :)

How about this for you?? Sparkly enough??

For me it would have to be a double bass 100% custom (Pearl Masterworks, Sonor SQ2, etc...) and with a crazy Gibraltar rack.

Attachments

• ludwigUSASalesmankit01.jpg
    ludwigUSASalesmankit01.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 3,024
A Tama Star set for home, and a Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute for a gigging set. I would also go with a set of Sabian AAX cymbals, Zildjian A customs and some Paiste Giant Beats.

I am a big Pearl fan, but have also wanted to give Sonor a try. One of the only brands I've never sat behind but have heard nothing but good things about. I also have a place in my heart for vintage Slingerlands, had one when I was a teenager and the sound was just awesome. I can be sometimes indecisive about gear, so with lottery money I would probably just get all three in different configurations.

Madge I'm not really sure what your kit requirements are as far as sizes and amount of gear, or the style of music you enjoy playing the most, so I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say vintage Ludwig, 4, 5, or 6 piece, in a magenta sparkle. See what I did there!?!

How about this for you?? Sparkly enough??

For me it would have to be a double bass 100% custom (Pearl Masterworks, Sonor SQ2, etc...) and with a crazy Gibraltar rack.

Fruit Stripe Drum. (Sorry but couldn't let that pun go by). Actually though, I like 'em!

No one manufacturer has got the whole package right. You need to get your drums from one, the hoops from another, the mounts from another, the pedals from another, snare from another, snare strainer from another, and hardware from at least one other.

Then, and only then, will you have the perfect setup.

Every company has problems/issues with one thing or another...

a brand that rhymes with Shmuru.
Doesn't make the cut. Not sparkly :(

I would buy 51% of guru drums and then have a new line created. The "Saturn" line :)
Erm, let me think about that - NO! Just back from two days of intense drum building. Absolutely knackered, covered in padauk dust, nothing sparkly in sight, & definitely no drums resembling a planet.

Here you go Madge. Sparkly enough for you?

Attachments

• sparkly.jpeg
    sparkly.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 2,750
Without a doubt Gretsch USA custom 5pc.

I didn't hit the lottery but will come across some money in a month or two, might be time for an early b-day gift. :)

Back