DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 06-29-2007, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hey Gavin,

Great show Thursday, although the sound could have been a little better, but I know that's out of your hands.

I noticed again, just as on the many DVD's and other video's I watched of you, that your hi-hat is flopping around quite a bit, when you 'rock' out. How come?????

I tried many different washer tensions on my top hat but I don't even come close to yours, even when I use the drop clutch and have it rest on the bottom head, I have to hit it real hard in order to get it to bounce around like yours.

Greetings,
Dre

PS, nice 'illusion' in the intro of Halo, was it a 16th note displacement???
Old 06-30-2007, 06:05 AM

Hey Gavin. Sorry to bother again about the snare. I was wondering if the designer snare (12x5) that you mentioned is the same as the artist series. Somebody told me that Sonor had recently changed the name of the line. Also, when I look at the description, it says that the snare has a nice, high pitched, crack to it. But when you are playing it in "So What" on your dvd, and on various other tracks, the snare seems to have a nice, round, body to it. Your opinion? Again, my apologies about the snare questions. Thanks a lot!
Old 06-30-2007, 01:56 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Drizzle,

I noticed again, just as on the many DVD's and other video's I watched of you, that your hi-hat is flopping around quite a bit, when you 'rock' out. How come?????

I used to have the top cymbal of the hi hat really tight, but I ended up breaking it when I was 'rocking out' on open hi hat sections. Then I went the other way and thought that it was better to let them breathe and flow, and I think they sound better that way too. I just have a regular DW drop clutch set fairly loose. I like to keep the gap between the hi hats really wide (or as far as the Cobra clutch will allow) so that I have the most control over them.
If you have the gap between the cymbals very small (I've seen some players have them about a 1/4 or 1/2 an inch) you lose the chance to control the amount of 'slosh' when playing open hi hat. Also the chance to really 'chick' and 'splash' the hi hats with your foot gets greatly diminished.

PS, nice 'illusion' in the intro of Halo, was it a 16th note displacement???

I can't remember - sorry.

Hi Mustykat

Sorry to bother again about the snare. I was wondering if the designer snare (12x5) that you mentioned is the same as the artist series.

I haven't played that exact one. I noticed it was birch. The white one I use on the DVD and the one I have with my SQ2 kit is maple 6 ply.

cheers
Gavin
Old 06-30-2007, 03:56 PM

I experimented with the distance between the washers of the top hat but there's only a small range in where it still works, because when the gap gets to big between the washers the top hat moves up and down between the washers, and then when you 'chick' the hats there's a double action, first the top hat hits the bottom hat and then a milli second later the top washer hits the top hat. And when opening it's the reversed action.

I have a Pearl drop clutch which has rubber washers so maybe it's better if I change them to felt ones. The rubber ones have less contact with the hats but are also stiffer than felt ones.

I guess the only way to achieve the same amount of slosh without a Cobra clutch would be to keep a little bit of pressure with the foot on the pedal.

Thanks for sharing your ideas,
Drizzle
Old 06-30-2007, 04:14 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Drizzle,
I never do the 'slosh' with the cobra clutch (that's reserved just for a closed sound), it's always done with some controlled amount of foot pressure. I know what you mean with the pearl rubber washers - I tried those too. My felts are still touching the cymbal - they are not so loose that there's a gap - and you get that double action - I really don't want that. I guess I'm hitting the cymbals pretty hard to get them moving that much.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-01-2007, 01:31 PM

Hey Gavin,

great show last night! Amazing sound!

Greets,

Burger
Old 07-01-2007, 02:22 PM

Hello Gavin

I was listening to Fear Of A Blank Planet and theres this little drum solo thing in the middle. It's about 5 minutes in. I was asking people on the Marliion forum and the suggested to ask you ao I was wondering how you did it. I'd love to be able to play it. Being a young inspired musician n all..

Thanks

Daniel
Old 07-01-2007, 05:48 PM

hello gavin,

I''m considering to buy a Sonor SQ2 kit and I was wondering witch finish you had on the kit you used in Holland (Eindhoven, Effenaar, 26-6-07), I really liked that finish but I can't find it anywhere.

Greetings,

Rick van Dun
Old 07-01-2007, 06:45 PM

GAVIN PLEASE READ,

I have to first say I am incredible proud of myself, 6 mths ago I could not get this down to say my life, I am playing Porcupine tree's The Sound of Muzak off there in absentia album, learning this song as good as I have(not prefect, but pretty good)just makes me so happy, I love Porcupine tree and Gavin Harrison's drumming is incredible, and to be able to even come close to playing one of there songs is a HUGE honor to me, so Gavin if you stumble upon this, I hope it makes you proud, and thank you for being such a huge inspiration in my drumming.

Hope you like it GAVIN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_8bxCVoew8
Old 07-01-2007, 07:00 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Scone,
I think this fill has been covered before - please have a look back over the previous pages and see if you can find it.

Hi Rick van Dunn

I''m considering to buy a Sonor SQ2 kit and I was wondering witch finish you had on the kit you used in Holland (Eindhoven, Effenaar, 26-6-07), I really liked that finish but I can't find it anywhere.

I'm sorry to tell you that the finish (Tribal) has been discontinued.

Hi ddrumbum,
well done!! The only thing I would say is that (in the verse) your hi hat pattern needs to be just straight 8th notes with heavy 1/4 note accents. Thanks for the kind words. Keep up the good work.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-01-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post

Hi ddrumbum,
well done!! The only thing I would say is that (in the verse) your hi hat pattern needs to be just straight 8th notes with heavy 1/4 note accents. Thanks for the kind words. Keep up the good work.

cheers
Gavin
Thank you Gavin, I appreciate it alot, that means the world to me, you have no idea, you saying "well done" is such a HUGE compliment to me, thank you.
I will work on the verse.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:43 PM

Thankyou Gavin! you're amazing :) I'm a big fan of yours
Old 07-01-2007, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Hi volume_3

I'm having trouble figuring out time signatures though, Gavin you seem to be quite the mathmatician when it comes to the drums, do you have any tips for counting time signatures, and working them out?

You get used to the sound of 7 & 5 & 9 they just have a sound to them that (when you're familiar enough with them) you instantly recognise.

Some compound time signatures are a bit more tricky to hear. Maybe it's a time signature like 19/8 but inside that you can hear two 7's and a 5. Sometimes I have to just sit and count through it carefully until I reach the obvious repeat point in the rhythm.

I have a method of count odd groupings that is explained on my last DVD Rhythmic Horizons - you might find it useful to see it.
Thankyou for your reply Gavin!

I think im starting to get used to 7, i still need to work some of the others out. Im going to try and get your 2 DVDs asap, but only one is available from the Burning Shed at the moment and thats the second, It would seem wiser to get the first DVD first, so when it comes back in stock, or If i find it on Amazon I'm going to get them.

I also wanted to ask, do you get nervous before you go on stage? If so, how do you try to tackle this?
Also, which is your favourite song to play off your solo album 'Sanity & Gravity'? Which is great by the way!
Old 07-02-2007, 05:03 AM

Hi Gavin
I've recently become aware of your work (mostly with Porcupine Tree) and just thought I'd say that you have given me a new light of inspiration with my drumming technique! Your drumming is totally stunning both technically and sound-wise with the way you tune your kit.
I have recently got hold of Deadwing and Fear Of A Blank Planet and have been blown away with the song writing and your drumming perfection WOW! Great job! I'm addicted to the songs F.O.A.B.P and Anethsetize (love that double pedal work and syncopated fills!)

Thank you for your time and thanks for answering all questions on these forums! It means a lot to all your fans, myself included!
Can't wait to see you if Porcupine Tree tour Australia!

Cheers from a new Aussie fan for life!
Shauno.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:29 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi volume_3

Quote:
Originally Posted by volume_3 View Post
I also wanted to ask, do you get nervous before you go on stage? If so, how do you try to tackle this?
Also, which is your favourite song to play off your solo album 'Sanity & Gravity'? Which is great by the way!
There have been times in my life where I have been nervous - but it's usually on the first couple of shows of a new tour (or clinic show). After I get past the first couple I'm fine with it. I tell myself this : In my life I've spent more time behind the drums than anything else (other than sleeping) - it's the most natural thing I can do - it's my natural environment. I just need to relax, think about the music and everything will flow.

It's a real quandary - because you get nervous in the anticipation of making mistakes - and going on stage feeling like that - will probably guarantee that you do. You've got to relax and concentrate on the music. DON'T think that a few beers (or whatever) before the show will help - it won't - it will just mess with your perception and fool you into thinking it sounds ok.

I haven't listened to "Sanity & Gravity" in a long while - but I always enjoyed the track "Witness" because it reminded me of my Dad (who was a trumpet player).

Hi Shauno,
thanks for the kind words - we'd love to get out to Australia one day - I really hope it happens.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 07-02-2007, 05:38 PM

hi folks

im new at this thread and im from germany so don't give something about my english
(it's horrorble i know)

i just want to say that its great to get the opportunity to have discussions with your fav drummers around here and to ask them questions about technique and stuff arround the drums, i think thats a really cool idea :)

@gavin
i love your style and your kind of musical playing in a song.it's all very fluently and way impressive.
i really like your doublebass-setting. it's not just this in-16-time-machinegun-firing (oh god i hate that) al these little winks and settings sounds really great!!!!
But thats not everything....Your handwork is just phenomenal!!!
How you work with all this kind of bells and splashes it's really a masterpiece of musical art.

i hope you read this and maybe you answer it (i really hope so)
all the best and greetings of a PT-Fan from Germany

(oh forgot to say: i just listened to "Fear of a blank Planet" i'ts so great.
A truly piece of Prog/Rock Art)
Old 07-02-2007, 05:55 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
we'd love to get out to Australia one day - I really hope it happens.

Just a quick question Gavin, who actually decides where you tour then? Is it based on what the record company wants or other factors? I've always been curious as to how destinations are selected (other than CD sales/popularity of course)
Old 07-02-2007, 07:15 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi germangavinfan,
thanks for the message and kind words.

Hi TitanSound,

who actually decides where you tour then? Is it based on what the record company wants or other factors? I've always been curious as to how destinations are selected (other than CD sales/popularity of course)

It's a combination of record company and agent - but usually the financial factor takes over somewhere along the way. As you might imagine flying all the band, crew and equipment to somewhere like Australia is very expensive. Also when you consider that we could only really play the major cities like Sydney, Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide, Melbourne etc. so we'd have to fly everyone (and all the equipment - nearly 2 metric tonnes of it) between each show. We're not the kind of band who pick up a guitar amp, a fender rhodes, and a 4 piece drumkit at every show. Then on top of that there's transport considerations to and from airports (buses and trucks) and hotels for everyone, and of course crew wages, agent commissions, visa costs, per diems, it all adds up to a small fortune.
So a trip like that needs to be very carefully planned and considered before you set off. It has nothing to do with the fact that we'd love to come and play in Australia.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-03-2007, 02:31 PM

hi Gavin im Angelo how are you? i'm from Acireale (sicily), do you remember? We have eaten after drum worshop in Capomulini with Enrico DiBella, yours workshop for me was very useful and still today i'm using what i learned from you. many, many thanks.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Hi volume_3

There have been times in my life where I have been nervous - but it's usually on the first couple of shows of a new tour (or clinic show). After I get past the first couple I'm fine with it. I tell myself this : In my life I've spent more time behind the drums than anything else (other than sleeping) - it's the most natural thing I can do - it's my natural environment. I just need to relax, think about the music and everything will flow.

It's a real quandary - because you get nervous in the anticipation of making mistakes - and going on stage feeling like that - will probably guarantee that you do. You've got to relax and concentrate on the music. DON'T think that a few beers (or whatever) before the show will help - it won't - it will just mess with your perception and fool you into thinking it sounds ok.

I haven't listened to "Sanity & Gravity" in a long while - but I always enjoyed the track "Witness" because it reminded me of my Dad (who was a trumpet player).

Hi Shauno,
thanks for the kind words - we'd love to get out to Australia one day - I really hope it happens.

Cheers
Gavin
Thankyou for your reply :-)
Old 07-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Pioneer Member

Thanks Gavin...I always imagined touring was a costly business but reading your reply has really made me realise how much planning, effort and money is involved.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:48 PM

Hey Gavin!

New Porcupine Tree fan here. ;-) I started listening to In Absentia, then I got Fear of a Blank Planet, and the music just blows me away!

I also wanted to say Congratulations on winning the "Best Progressive Drummer of the Year" award from Modern Drummer! As you can see from my user name that I'm a Dream Theater fan, and Mike Portnoy has won that category for 12 years in a row. I think it is great that you were the one to win it this year!!

Thanks man,
~Kyle
Old 07-04-2007, 06:51 AM

I have a question about your influences from a technical stand point. Did you ever partake in any sort of rudimental drumming/marching arts?

On one of the vicfirth.com videos, I noticed some licks that look like what the marching nuts call 'grandmas.' these are basically paradiddlediddles with the last note replaced with a rest and all the left hand notes (assuming you are leading with the right) are accented. you could also look at it as taking a herta and turning the third note into a diddle. I don't see these much outside of the marching world (probably because most of the nuances are lost in the broader sound of the drum kit). Your louder diddles are also very clean, which is another thing not exactly typical of a drum kit player in my experience.

but, yea, just wondering.

Austin
Old 07-04-2007, 08:19 AM

gavin...

i was watching cymbal song the the live DVD, and when you were playing the chimes, I noticed they had Zildjian logo's on them. I know you spoke about how you made the chimes, and since we last spoke, I have made 2 for myself. I am just wondering...did zildjian make some for you aswell?
Old 07-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Silver Member

My bad.

Last edited by hauk; 07-05-2007 at 11:24 PM. Reason: false info
Old 07-04-2007, 07:32 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Angelo & YtseJammer03,
thanks for the kind words, and welcome to the forum.

Hi ZDrums24,

Did you ever partake in any sort of rudimental drumming/marching arts?

no I didn't, but I studied the Charlie Wilcoxen book and Fred Albright's "Contemporary Studies for Snare Drum" and maybe that's where some of the stuff came from that's sneaked into my drumset playing.

Hi cfdrumr,

i was watching cymbal song the the live DVD, and when you were playing the chimes, I noticed they had Zildjian logo's on them

Zildjian did make me some prototypes and one of them fitted very well with the set. That's why you can see the logo.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-04-2007, 10:21 PM

thanks Gavin!

The chimes I have already made from old cymbals are great! Thanks for the help!

Have you ever played the Paiste Cup Chimes? Whats your opinion on them?
Old 07-05-2007, 03:48 AM

Hi Gavin,

Can you detail the kick pattern at 11:17 in "Anesthetize"? It doesn't sound like straight 16ths or 32nds but it's also difficult to make out the exact pattern at that speed.

Thanks!

don
Old 07-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Hi cdrums21,
here's the tuning of my toms from a couple of months ago

tom 5 lowest
tom 4 augmented 5th above tom 5
tom 3 augmented 5th above tom 4
tom 2 perfect 4th above tom 3
tom 1 perfect 5th above tom 2

So tom 5 seems to be G
tom 4 Eb
tom 3 A
tom 2 D
tom 1 A

I think the bottom heads are a little tighter than the top ones.

Cheers
Gavin
OK Gavin,
One last question about this tuning. Thank you for answering in the first place.
You say that the largest floor tom seems to be tuned to a G on top, right? I'm assuming that it's a 16" tom? Man, if that's the case I can't for the life of me see how it can be tuned either that low or that high. I play a yamaha maple custom absolute kit with a 16x14 floor tom. I also use 2 ply coated heads. I never use any muffling on my toms. I have the 16x14 floor tom tuned to a C on top and a third higher on the bottom. That's pretty low on top. It sounds really good, nice low end punch with just the right amount of sustain. The drum won't go down to a G from the low C and if I tuned it up to a G, it would sound like a boingy rack tom. Do you think there is that much difference in the sonic properties of your 16" tom and mine that the tuning range would be so different? I'm not trying to cop your tuning of the floor tom per se, I was just curious as to where your floor tom was tuned and if you had any special tuning method for reducing the sustain on the larger toms because your drums sound really good on the video clips I've seen. Again, thank you in advance for your reply.

God bless,
Clint
Old 07-05-2007, 02:40 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi bleen,

Can you detail the kick pattern at 11:17 in "Anesthetize"? It doesn't sound like straight 16ths or 32nds but it's also difficult to make out the exact pattern at that speed.

It is 32nds but they're broken up. The pattern is based off the snare accents - which are dotted 8th notes. The way I think of it is like this: Between each snare hit is two 16ths on the bass drum played with the right foot - and following directly between the right foot hits (in 32nd notes intervals) are two strokes on the bass drum played with the left foot - so this makes it R L R L (on the bass drum). It's actually quite easy to play once you get the hang of it - make sense?

Hi cdrums21,

You say that the largest floor tom seems to be tuned to a G on top, right? I'm assuming that it's a 16" tom?

Correct - it's a 16x14. I assume there must be quite a fundamental pitch difference in the shells between your kit and mine.

...if you had any special tuning method for reducing the sustain on the larger toms

Recently I've made an "O" ring for the inside of my 14" floor tom. I felt it was sustaining a little longer than I wanted. I made the ring about a 1/3 of an inch wide and just dropped it inside so it's resting on the bottom head. It acts like a gate and shortens the length of the note. I don't like sticking things to the top head because it changes the attack of the drum.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Gavin.

Congrats on your feature in Rhythm Magazine this month.

Tis a good read.

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 07-05-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
It is 32nds but they're broken up. The pattern is based off the snare accents - which are dotted 8th notes. The way I think of it is like this: Between each snare hit is two 16ths on the bass drum played with the right foot - and following directly between the right foot hits (in 32nd notes intervals) are two strokes on the bass drum played with the left foot - so this makes it R L R L (on the bass drum). It's actually quite easy to play once you get the hang of it - make sense?
Yup - perfect sense! It's easier to hear that pattern now with that information, too.

Thanks again!
Old 07-06-2007, 09:39 AM

Hi Gavin i have bought a keller drum shell and i cut 8x4 snare drum with these characteristics: 8ply 5,3mm maple. Edge 45:Snare bed 1,8mm Lug Pearl CL05 strainer Pearl SR018. Dixon hoop, Snare wire is a Puresound P1010 cut down 8 The sound is very beautiful.
Now I am constructing a snare drum with keller drum shell birch 10 ply round edge. yours snare drum 8x4 mounts a puresound snare wire? which? And hoops is safe-hoop ? thanks for your infinite patience.Thanks a lot Angelo
Old 07-06-2007, 10:41 AM

Ok, so I'd hate to be a pain, but I used the forum's search engine and went through every page using the browser's find tool, and I can't find the information on the in-ear headphones Mr. Harrison uses. Can anybody tell me what page that was on?
I am looking at in-ear monitors, and at the time, the $150 pair listed on the website Gavin Harrison had a link to seemed expensive. After shopping around, this is actually pretty cheap.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:10 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi angelo,

Now I am constructing a snare drum with keller drum shell birch 10 ply round edge. yours snare drum 8x4 mounts a puresound snare wire? which? And hoops is safe-hoop ?

That sounds interesting - what does 8x4 mounts mean? I use the P-1412 and take off two wires from each side - so there's 8 in the middle. Yes I use Safe-Hoops. I guess you are getting close to my favorite configuration !!!

Hi ZDrums24,
I understand the problem of 'searching' on this thread - and pretty soon I hope to have a solution for everyone - so you don't have to look through 38 pages of Q&A. About the headphone question: At the moment I'm using Sennheiser MX400 inside some custom moulds. I have my impressions made at www.handheldaudio.co.uk and they fitted them with Sony headphones - but I prefer the Sennheiser's because they will go louder without distorting (32 ohms instead of 16 ohms). I also have a pair of "Ultimate Ears UE10's" but I don't enjoy playing the drums with them. They sound 10 times better - but I can't get on with them at the moment.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 07-06-2007, 06:51 PM

Hey Gavin,

I've been considering getting an SQ2 from Sonor. I was wondering if you could tell me your thinking behind your particular config? I'm assuming you spoke at length to some Sonor guys who are experts on these drums?

I'm particularly interested in why you chose the different shell types for each drum (i.e. Heavy, medium, thin) and how they sound. Did you compare a Heavy bass drum against a medium or thin at the factory?

Thanks for your time. Loved the 19/7 track, and the little quip when you introduced it!!! Believe me, I was in the second category!!! LOL
Old 07-06-2007, 08:10 PM

Hi Gavin, after doing some research on Sonor snares, I think i am purchasing the SQ2 12x5 maple medium shell, which is supposedly quite similar to the designer that you play. I was wondering which snares are on that drum, and do you also cut those down to eight? Thanks for all your help.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
That sounds interesting - what does 8x4 mounts mean?
I just asked what type of snare wire you use in your 8x4 snare drum. I'm happy to know that im close to your favorite configuration :)

Thx, Angelo
Old 07-07-2007, 12:43 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi angelo,
I have some custom Puresound snares on my 8" snare.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-07-2007, 09:46 AM

Hi Gavin for 8" snare i use: Puresound P-1010 cut down 8", Puresound do not produce 8" of diameter snare wire, so i have tried P1012, but the responsiveness of the wires is too much.
I have done an other experiment with the keller birch drum shell: 15x10 snare drum with floor tom leg and round edge.
This snare is a perfect for ballad music.I use Puresound P1520 for this.

thx Angelo

Last edited by angelo; 07-07-2007 at 12:05 PM.