DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 12-30-2010, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin,

You have said that you used figure 8 overheads on the last tour.(Mics) What kind are they?

I received the "Gavin Harrison Signature Snare" Wow I love it!

Have you had a chance to compare the run of replica's vs. the original you own? If so what are your thoughts as far as the similarities or differences?

Thanks for your reply in advance! You are the best!
Old 12-30-2010, 11:33 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Guys - thanks for the Christmas wishes and kind words!

Hi Kalma

Which head do you use on your 12" Snaredrum on the Records of 19 Days and So what..? It looks like an Ambassador or so? Is it just a 1 ply Ambassador Tomhead?

yes it's just a Coated Ambassador - which is single ply.

Hi Rítmico

I bought a Beyerdynamic DT 150, like yours. Do you use some headphone amplifier?

no I just plug them into my Mackie desk.

Hi ZGR8DCVER

You have said that you used figure 8 overheads on the last tour.(Mics) What kind are they?

I believe they were Audio Technica mics - but I don't know exactly which ones.

I received the "Gavin Harrison Signature Snare" Wow I love it!
Have you had a chance to compare the run of replica's vs. the original you own? If so what are your thoughts as far as the similarities or differences?

I actually prefer it to the old one that I have. I put a coated Emperor on it and it sounded great straight away.

Hope you all have a great New Year. Keep drumming !!!!

cheers
Gavin
Old 12-31-2010, 04:55 AM
Gold Member

Hey Gavin, are you using plastic beaters at the moment? Because I noticed the black EVANS EQ patch was chewing my felt beaters away, so I switched them around, I didn't really notice a big sound difference to be honest, specially after the bass drum goes through EQ and mixing. I believe it does reduce the lifetime of the batter head dramatically compared to the felt one, though. What are your thoughts on different beater materials? There's wood ones, too, I used to have one, but didn't mess around with it a lot.
Cheers!

Fox.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:49 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Fox,

yes I know the black patch eats up felt beaters big time. If you are using felt beaters then just a clear patch is good. When I use plastic beaters - which is most of the time the black patch does help save the skin. I can get a nicer bass drum tone from a felt beater - but if you're playing a lot of double pedal stuff - the attack from the plastic is really helpful.

cheers
Gavin
Old 12-31-2010, 02:08 PM
wy yung

Hello Gavin. And happy new year.

This is a non specific post. I have a marvelous 9 year old student I hipped to your playing. I have given him the latest PT DVD for Christmas and he is very inspired. I keep him up to date with many drummers of course, my teacher was Virgil so there is a decent pedigree. At least I hope I do it justice.

We spent a lesson working through your 2 earlier books and he lapped it up. I am very grateful for your contribution in the educational area of drumming. He recently received a copy of your latest book/DVD package but as yet we have been unable to work from it.

Thanks so much for helping me with my teaching. You are placing good material into the market place and I for one appreciate it very much. Good luck in all future endeavors.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:27 PM

Gavin,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do the opening bars of "Be The Hero" include a 1/4 note override on the bell of the ride cymbal?

Also in that wonderful song, there's an amazing breakdown at 3:36 and another at 4:37. I can count it in 4 but the way you and the guitarist phrased it makes it sound anything but.

Happy New Years and a belated merry xmas
Old 01-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoric_anomaly View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but do the opening bars of "Be The Hero" include a 1/4 note override on the bell of the ride cymbal?
That part sounds like it is in 4/4, and what's played on the bell are groups of three 16th notes that start a dotted quarter into the groove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoric_anomaly View Post
Also in that wonderful song, there's an amazing breakdown at 3:36 and another at 4:37. I can count it in 4 but the way you and the guitarist phrased it makes it sound anything but.
That part could be written in 5/4.

Fox.

Last edited by Fox622003; 01-02-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:27 AM

Hi Gavin,

Happy New Year to everyone! ...
Gavin, would it be possible for you to look back at the music you've recorded to pick some some songs that really standout for you as a perfect marraige of not only coming up with a drum part that you felt was successful in suiting the song but also the song itself? (i.e. the melody, lyrics and overall emotional content of the song itself) Like those times/moments when someone hands you a song and even before you pick up your sticks you instantly feel a part of it.

Thank you and take care.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:00 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Happy new year Gavin,
it was great to see you in Rockshop Drumfestival, will definitely see you soon sir!
Best wishes

George
Old 01-03-2011, 10:05 PM

Heya Gavin!

Hope you've had a wonderful christmas and wish you a happy new year!

I'm wondering;
After what I've read there will not be many Porcupine Tree gigs next year (if any?).

Have you got any gigs/clinics which are confirmed for the new year yet?
I'd love to see you in other musical contexts than PT, still haven't got the chance to do that! :-)

Thanks in advance!

Anders
Old 01-04-2011, 09:55 AM

Hi Gavin.
First of all thanks for being so inspiring!
I am about to change hoops to improve both sound and tuning and was thinking of buying safe-hoops.
The only shop I found is Drummaker.
can you please confirm that this hoop is exactly what you currently use?

Secondly, have you ever thought about adding a special "Gavin's camera" (that is a fixed camera recording your performance available as an alternative video track) in next dvd/blu ray releases? I believe that I am not the only one who would appreciate it :-)

I wish you a brilliant new year and hope to see you again soon in Italy!
All the best,
Alessio
Old 01-04-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post

Hi ZGR8DCVER

I believe they were Audio Technica mics - but I don't know exactly which ones.
Audio technica AT 4050 mics perhaps?
Old 01-04-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiBanks View Post
Audio technica AT 4050 mics perhaps?
I think you are right santi. I have looked at the AT options and that seems the most likely candidate. I am Looking at purchasing another set of overheads and while no one will ever achieve Gavin's Sound for a variety of reasons; those AT's sound amazing!

I have been to a lot of shows in my life. To date, one of the best was Porcupine Tree at Radio City Music Hall. Cheers, again Gavin! Sonically, it was hands down the best show I have ever seen/heard. The sound was nothing short of perfect! PT's live sound engineer is an absolute genius. Gavin's kit was so incredible sounding! Nothing was buried or muddy. You could hear every tom, bell, rim completely isolated and crisp and the kick...outstanding!

Gavin 2 questions if you please.....

At that show(NYC RCMH) were you using your D6/Beta91 combo on the kick? I will never forget that show and I hope I have the privilege to see you again!

Also, to clarify..you prefer the new "Gavin Harrison" snare or your vintage Designer? And do you prefer an Emperor vs an Ambassador or CS on it?

Again thank you so much for all the inspiration, motivation, ideas etc. you are simply the best!
Old 01-05-2011, 12:54 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGR8DCVER View Post
Also, to clarify..you prefer the new "Gavin Harrison" snare or your vintage Designer? And do you prefer an Emperor vs an Ambassador or CS on it?
Gavin wrote:
"I actually prefer it to the old one that I have. I put a coated Emperor on it and it sounded great straight away."
Old 01-05-2011, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalma View Post
Gavin wrote:
"I actually prefer it to the old one that I have. I put a coated Emperor on it and it sounded great straight away."
Thanks Kalma,

I read his answer. The wording was just a bit confusing when I first read it. I couldn't tell if he was saying he preferred "it" being which? After re-reading I get it. The thing that doesn't add up is in another post someone asked what head he used on that drum and he answered: Ambassador; yet I guess on the new one he prefers an Emperor? So, no I am not stupid just wanted a bit of clarification since there are a couple of different answers in different posts....if that makes any sense?
Old 01-05-2011, 04:35 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi euphoric_anomaly

As Fox stated it's groups of 3/16ths (or dotted 8th notes if you prefer).

Yes that section is in five.

Hi tradgrip

Gavin, would it be possible for you to look back at the music you've recorded to pick some some songs that really standout for you as a perfect marraige of not only coming up with a drum part that you felt was successful in suiting the song but also the song itself?

That's a really tough question. I remember playing on Lewis Taylor's second album and thinking that one song in particular was the best thing I'd ever played on. A song called "Waves" - and when the album came out he didn't include that track - in fact that version has never been released. I was very happy with the drum parts on the songs I made with 05Ric because they were really designed for the song - sometimes the song was designed for the drum part. There are of course much simpler songs that I've played on and really liked - even though it didn't require anything that unusual in the drum part. I'm just happy if I managed to place the groove in a way that made the song feel good.

Hi anders_slåke

I'm wondering;
After what I've read there will not be many Porcupine Tree gigs next year (if any?).

there are no 2011 shows planned.

Have you got any gigs/clinics which are confirmed for the new year yet?
I'd love to see you in other musical contexts than PT, still haven't got the chance to do that! :-)

I'm working on a plan for a series of drum clinics around April/May. So far UK - Switzerland - Italy. I'll let you know when I have any of them confirmed.

Hi Alessio Sarcinelli

I am about to change hoops to improve both sound and tuning and was thinking of buying safe-hoops. The only shop I found is Drummaker.
can you please confirm that this hoop is exactly what you currently use?

yes that's the hoop that I'm using

Secondly, have you ever thought about adding a special "Gavin's camera" (that is a fixed camera recording your performance available as an alternative video track) in next dvd/blu ray releases?

I think that would make me very uncomfortable.

Hi ZGR8DCVER

At that show(NYC RCMH) were you using your D6/Beta91 combo on the kick?

I think on that show there were two SM91's in the bass drum. NOT beta 91 - they sound different.

They both sound good to me - and they sound good with any of those heads on. As I said before - I recently put an Emperor on the new one and it sounded good to me.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 01-06-2011, 12:45 AM

Hey Gavin,

I was browsing the collection of videos that Hudson Music has on YouTube and I came across 19 days. Everything in it is so musical- very awesome. I have one question though. There are a few clips of you playing different things like the marimba and the other metal pitched instrument that don't know much about. Did you play the other instruments like the piano and guitar too?
Old 01-06-2011, 01:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm working on a plan for a series of drum clinics around April/May. So far UK - Switzerland - Italy. I'll let you know when I have any of them confirmed.
I am excited!!!
Old 01-06-2011, 04:39 AM
Gold Member

I want to kill myself for not checking out this guy earlier. He has definetley earned a spot in my top 5 drummers!

I love the way he uses his cymbals, and also how he adds tom accents during a normal groove, without even going into a fill.

Edit: Just noticed you were actually on forums. Let me know if you ever come to St. Louis for a clinic or show!
Old 01-06-2011, 04:26 PM

Hey Gavin-

Sorry about the delay getting you my Elements Book. I thought the publisher was going to send it. I will take care of it when I get back from NAMM. Are you going to be at NAMM?
Old 01-06-2011, 08:13 PM

Thank you so much for answering!
Nice to know you are going to have clinics in Italy.

Too bad for the camera. Indeed there was one in Tillburg sessions and, yes, you looked
uncomfortable with that :-)

All the best,
Alessio
Old 01-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin,

I just finsihed building my own 12*5 Maple Snare.
I'm very happy with it but I'm a bit helpless with tuning..

I use a Hazy Ambassador head on the bottom and a coated CS on the top and Sonor 18strands snarewires..

I think I have both sides on a pretty high tuning but still the sound-wires are buzzing a lot.. Of course I could reduce this problem by just tight them very hard, but then I don't have a "snares-off" position..
How many strands do you use on your 12x5 snare?

Thanks alot and a happy new year!
David
Old 01-08-2011, 04:16 PM

Hi Gavin,

with all the big productions you play, with projection screens, a big PA, playing with an IEM to a click, is there a desire to play in a 3- or 5-piece Jazz-Combo, just go out on stage and jam all night? Or to play in a big band with half sheet music and half improvised stuff? Have you done that a lot in the past?

What may be the song you have played on with the most airplay or being the most popular?

And in case you haven't heard it (all the other readers here as well), the song "Falling down a mountain" from the band Tindersticks has a very fine drum groove.

Thanks

Andy Lux
Old 01-09-2011, 08:01 AM

Gavin,

Are you lending your work to the next Steven Wilson solo album?

Thanks for reading!
Old 01-10-2011, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio Sarcinelli
Secondly, have you ever thought about adding a special "Gavin's camera" (that is a fixed camera recording your performance available as an alternative video track) in next dvd/blu ray releases?
I think that would make me very uncomfortable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio Sarcinelli View Post
Too bad for the camera. Indeed there was one in Tillburg sessions and, yes, you looked
uncomfortable with that :-)

All the best,
Alessio
I remember seeing two shots in the Tilburg video where Gavin looked into the camera. The first one he just kind of stared into it for a couple of seconds, but the second one he made a "Hey, how are you?" kind of face, and he didn't look annoyed.

Gavin, did you mind having that camera staring at you the whole show? Or was the objection you stated above more about having dedicated drum footage on a band DVD (as opposed to a solo project/instructional video)?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THRAK View Post
the second one he made a "Hey, how are you?" kind of face, and he didn't look annoyed.
That is exactly where the idea of a special video track came from :-)
Playing Dark Matter (If I am not wrong that's just when the guitar solo begins) in such a tasteful way and cheering at the camera at the same time did not look so much uncomfortable :-)

Ciao!
Alessio
Old 01-10-2011, 07:07 PM

Hi there Gavin! I would like to know if there's any chance that Porcupine Tree will come to Singapore, or even a drum clinic by you here! It would be great.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:27 PM

Hi Gavin! I was reading about OSI in wikipedia, and I noticed that Kevin Moore and Jim Matheos are working on OSI's fourth album since 2010. I was wondering if you'll record drums on this upcoming album.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:55 PM

have a good time in LA, Gavin.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:30 PM

Hello Gavin,

Just wondering if you use any mind games to help you find new patterns, grooves or fills etc? such as the "The Comping Game" as demonstrated here by Peter Erskine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzgvUVsJq4U

I've started to use this excercise myself, first of all with Jazz but then I switched up the ride cymbal pattern for a dotted-quaver over-ride and applied the same principle as described in the video, as a result I found myself finding new patterns that'd I'd never come across before (some good...some not so good).

Anyway, it helped me a great deal and thought I may aswell share with others who frequent this thread too :)

Hope everyone is keeping well and happy drumming!

Kev
Old 01-12-2011, 08:41 PM

Hey Gavin,

I was at the clinic last night in hollywood, it was awesome. Playing aside, you were very insightful. Some of the advice you gave could be applied in a different context and used for any other profession.

I have seen, to my knowledge, pretty much every piece of media you are in. Instructional dvds, PT live shows, interviews, been through a bit of the books, etc.Although, I didn't truly understand why you are in the top of your profession until last night. It's not just how well you play, but it has a lot to do with how confident, charismatic, and passionate you are about your profession. Something to aspire to, no matter if you want to be a drummer, mechanic, or hair dresser. You answered my dads 2 part poly rhythm question, and my underhand question(even took off two rack toms). Thanks for that. I won a pair of vic grips in the raffle, Ill have to try em out and see if I should switch to them.

I have a question that I failed ask last night. Does Robert Fripp walk or does he levitate in mid air? Also, does he use mind control?. :)

*thanks again for all that you do on drummerworld, FAQ, all of it. I think one of the most important qualities that professional drummer needs is the ability and will to share their knowledge and experience. I look forward to seeing the HD footage of last night, and the duet with Simon.

Cheers.

-Mike Turco-

Old 01-14-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGR8DCVER View Post
I am Looking at purchasing another set of overheads and while no one will ever achieve Gavin's Sound for a variety of reasons; those AT's sound amazing!
Yes they really do! I would like a pair of them too but they are way out of my league haha.

Gavin, a more technical question; I remember you saying that you would try a system running Logic and Arkaos instead of two systems. I was wondering how that worked out?

Cheers,
Santi
Old 01-15-2011, 01:13 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi pixelbreaker

I was browsing the collection of videos that Hudson Music has on YouTube and I came across 19 days. Everything in it is so musical- very awesome. I have one question though. There are a few clips of you playing different things like the marimba and the other metal pitched instrument that don't know much about. Did you play the other instruments like the piano and guitar too?

I only played the marimba and the drums on that recording. The two people playing the Gamelan are Dave Stewart and Barbara Gaskin - who very kindly contributed to this recording/video.

Hi JOHN

Are you going to be at NAMM?

sorry I must have missed you at NAMM.

Hi Kalma

I think I have both sides on a pretty high tuning but still the sound-wires are buzzing a lot.. Of course I could reduce this problem by just tight them very hard, but then I don't have a "snares-off" position..How many strands do you use on your 12x5 snare?

I'm using 8 strands on that drum at the moment.

Hi astroandy

with all the big productions you play, with projection screens, a big PA, playing with an IEM to a click, is there a desire to play in a 3- or 5-piece Jazz-Combo, just go out on stage and jam all night? Or to play in a big band with half sheet music and half improvised stuff? Have you done that a lot in the past?

I have done many things like that in the past. Sometimes I sit in with a local jazz group just for fun.

What may be the song you have played on with the most airplay or being the most popular?

I don't know what has been the most popular - it depends what part of the world you are in. Sam Brown's "Stop" was quite a big song in the UK.

Hi gibeachhead

Are you lending your work to the next Steven Wilson solo album?

Not as far as I know - unless he uses something that wasn't included on his last record - and in that case I might have played on some of it.

Hi THRAK,

did you mind having that camera staring at you the whole show? Or was the objection you stated above more about having dedicated drum footage on a band DVD (as opposed to a solo project/instructional video)?

I wasn't bothered about the cameras during the shooting of the PT DVD - but I don't think it makes sense to have a version that is just on me for the entire show. I like the band to be presented as a band - it's not meant to be an instructional thing.

Hi Volentry

I would like to know if there's any chance that Porcupine Tree will come to Singapore, or even a drum clinic by you here! It would be great.

there are no plans to do either at the moment.

Hi Just Another Drummer

I was reading about OSI in wikipedia, and I noticed that Kevin Moore and Jim Matheos are working on OSI's fourth album since 2010. I was wondering if you'll record drums on this upcoming album.

It's a very good question...

Hi K.Howden

Just wondering if you use any mind games to help you find new patterns, grooves or fills etc? such as the "The Comping Game" as demonstrated here by Peter Erskine:

yes I tried that and it's good fun. I impose all kinds of 'mind games' on myself to see if I can generate new ideas.

Hi SantiBanks

I remember you saying that you would try a system running Logic and Arkaos instead of two systems. I was wondering how that worked out?

yes it works well from one MacBook Pro.

cheers
Gavin
Old 01-15-2011, 07:26 PM

I have listend to a lot of porcupine tree lately, i didn't know you where the drummer,sorry!

But , yeah, very good playing.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:28 AM

Hey GAViN.
I've got a question. In your opinion, are there any disadvantages of choosing the 22" ride instead of a 20" one. Have you ever played any 22" ride? What do you think of the 22" of the same K Ride you usually play. I've listened to the samples on the internet, and the 22 k ride have a higher pitch than the 20 k ride, weird stuff. Thanks anyway. Robert
Old 01-17-2011, 06:36 PM

Hi Gavin.

This year (in May) i'm gonna do audition for a few Music Schools here in Holland. I'm now playing along with your song Last Call and I would like to use this song for the auditions. But it would be cool to have a version of the song without the drums. (I have your Rhythmic Designs book and there are a few play along tracks, but the song Last Call is not one of them) Is there a way to get that song from you, without the drums?

Ron
Old 01-18-2011, 12:54 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi scottishhaggis

I've got a question. In your opinion, are there any disadvantages of choosing the 22" ride instead of a 20" one. Have you ever played any 22" ride? What do you think of the 22" of the same K Ride you usually play. I've listened to the samples on the internet, and the 22 k ride have a higher pitch than the 20 k ride, weird stuff.

No I don't think there are disadvantages other than positioning on your set. I like both.

Hi Xin017

This year (in May) i'm gonna do audition for a few Music Schools here in Holland. I'm now playing along with your song Last Call and I would like to use this song for the auditions. But it would be cool to have a version of the song without the drums. (I have your Rhythmic Designs book and there are a few play along tracks, but the song Last Call is not one of them) Is there a way to get that song from you, without the drums?

Sorry - but I can't help you. Can you play one of the other songs instead?

cheers
Gavin
Old 01-18-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Hi scottishhaggis

I've got a question. In your opinion, are there any disadvantages of choosing the 22" ride instead of a 20" one. Have you ever played any 22" ride? What do you think of the 22" of the same K Ride you usually play. I've listened to the samples on the internet, and the 22 k ride have a higher pitch than the 20 k ride, weird stuff.

No I don't think there are disadvantages other than positioning on your set. I like both.

Hi Xin017

Sorry - but I can't help you. Can you play one of the other songs instead?

cheers
Gavin
Hi Gavin,

First of all, thanks for your quick reply.
I would like to play one the other songs instead, but I find them way more difficult than the song Last Call, and I don't have that much time left:P There is no possibility that you can get the drums out of the track? Otherwise I'll have to do something else.
Thanks in advance.

Ron
Old 01-19-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xin017 View Post
Hi Gavin,
There is no possibility that you can get the drums out of the track?

Ron
:) Lol, you haven't read enough of this thread.

It is faily long , but this type of request pops up all the time...at least every 2nd page.

Gavin, maybe you could get Bernard to change the thread title to "Gavin Harrison here. No drumless track requests please"? ;)

Last edited by Mr. Brownstone; 01-19-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:48 PM

Thanks for answering my question, Gavin :)

I have a question regarding what do you think of while playing. I read from askgavinharrison.com that you sometimes grunt subdivisions while playing, especially in fills. What I do when I play is I tend to just play from muscle memory, which led me to make mistakes such as tempo fluctuations and off time fills. But now, I keep the pulse in my head, which improved my time and fills.

However I have a major roadblock regarding this. When I do think of the pulse in my head, I can't seem to be listening to the big picture, or the intricacies of what my band and I are playing. I can't seem to 'break out of my comfort zone' to try new and daring fills because I would have to break the pulse in my head to play it. As such I can't improvise as well, as my head is focusing on the pulse.

I realise many professional and top drummers, including you, have the ability to add/subtract/change drum parts throughout the song with ease. Like in this video at 1:58, instead of playing a straight groove, you play a crash on the a of 1 and crash + snare on 2 to give that extra kick. I thought that was just fantastic.

Were parts like those thought out first or played 'on the spot'? Because I would love to play like that.