DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-31-2010, 12:58 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi carlos ramos

do you have some good exercices to have that laid back feeling? I think my groove can become better, as close as I play to the click. i tried a few exercices. i turn the click on, then grab a stick and then, try to really catch the clik and stop hearing it. i don´t know if this helps me. but i really have to concentrate and relax, and it is not an easy one.
I´m hoping i can change my groove by practicing this or another exercices....

I think it's something you need to really hear and feel. Listening to 'laid back' players is probably the most useful thing. It took me a long time to try to get that sound into my playing.

Hi Liquid_Drummer

I know you are in to some older music and some old r&b etc. Have you heard of Diane Birch ?

No - but I'll try to check out her stuff - thanks.

Hi steste50

have U ever tried snare drums with those big thick maple rims and, if so, what do U think of the resulting sound?

I've never owned one - but I've played a few and quite liked them. You get a nice thick sound from the rim shots.

Hi SantiBanks

A small question about displacement. I was listening to the Brighton Dome 1994 concert with Level 42. On the track Mr Pink, there are some parts where it seems you displace the snare, though it seems you are following the keyboard/horn accents. It might sound silly but do you think that the principles of displacement (and for that matter also overriding and substitution) also work for other instruments (like keyboards)?

Yes the displaced snare hits are to follow the keyboard accents. You can apply the concepts of rhythmic illusions to keyboards. If the melodic part you are playing is very strong and easily recognisable - then you could play it in a displaced position - or play it in a different subdivision. There's a good example of 'melodic displacement' in Black Dog by Led Zeppelin

cheers
Gavin.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:03 AM

Gavin,

What do you believe are the advantages/disadvantages of using smaller sticks or larger sticks (thickness, length, etc.)? How large of an effect do you think the size of a players hands have on the ability of using certain sized sticks?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-01-2010, 01:29 PM

Hi Gavin,

Any news on when the Anesthetize DVD (tilburg) is up for sale? Will the special edition be up on Burning Shed as well?

cheers!
Old 04-01-2010, 02:26 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi gibeachhead

What do you believe are the advantages/disadvantages of using smaller sticks or larger sticks (thickness, length, etc.)? How large of an effect do you think the size of a players hands have on the ability of using certain sized sticks?

That's a hard question because some folks like playing with smaller/larger/thinner/thicker sticks. Obviously if you want to play really loud a bigger stick is the way to go. If you have really big hands - then small sticks feel uncomfortable and vice versa. I think it's too much of a personal preference to really answer properly.

Hi karan.patil

Any news on when the Anesthetize DVD (tilburg) is up for sale? Will the special edition be up on Burning Shed as well?

Announcement to be made any day now. Yes the special edition will be available via Burning Shed and the regular edition should be at our upcoming live shows too.

cheers
Gavin
Old 04-01-2010, 03:16 PM

Gavin,

I have searched the internet high and low and not been able to find much info on drumming and caloric burn.

As there are so many styles in drumming involving different dynamics and force I seems that a baseline or average would be hard to establish. Do you have any knowledge on this subject ? Anyone ?

Oh and by the way, when you are in Cinci on May 1st you might want to check out the pub that is right across the street from the venue. If you can stomach a hamburger on show day they have about 200 different ways to make one and I believe that they have veggie burgers in the same number of ways. Awesome food (if it is still there).
Old 04-02-2010, 06:01 AM

Gavin,

I've been pondering this question, and it might possibly be the dumbest question you've ever read, but here goes. What do you think your drums sound like if you placed the microphones near the bottom heads of the drums? Do you think there would be less or more resonance? The only positive thing I can see coming out of that would be that you wouldn't have to dodge and/or worry about smashing a microphone with your drumstick.

Thanks for your time

Eric
Old 04-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Drummer View Post
Gavin,

I have searched the internet high and low and not been able to find much info on drumming and caloric burn.

As there are so many styles in drumming involving different dynamics and force I seems that a baseline or average would be hard to establish. Do you have any knowledge on this subject ? Anyone ?
This is the only study related to physical effects of drumming that I'm aware of:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...cientists.html
Old 04-02-2010, 08:17 PM

Nice find. I changed my diet just a bit and the pounds just fell off. I guess it was the drumming. Dropped 30 pounds and now at my ideal weight. Thank you drums !
Old 04-02-2010, 10:08 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Liquid_Drummer

I've no idea. I didn't really start burning calories until I started riding a bicycle.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

What do you think your drums sound like if you placed the microphones near the bottom heads of the drums? Do you think there would be less or more resonance?

It sounds nasty. All the ringing that you don't really want.

Cheers
Gavin

P.S some funky samples of Ed Poole's album over here on his player http://www.myspace.com/edpoole
Old 04-02-2010, 11:01 PM

Hi, I'm excited to hear that the Anesthetize DVD will be available soon, but was wondering why Stars Die and Prodigal from the Tilburg sets will not be included on the DVD. I'll still get it for sure though and sorry if this has already been asked. Thanks
Old 04-03-2010, 03:13 AM

Hey Gavin!

Thank you for taking time to answer us fans, inspire us and helping us improve as musicians, I and I guess all the others here appreciate it! :)

I was just wondering if it was possible in someway to get the drumless "Slippin' Away" - track that you play with on a couple of videos in youtube.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Gold Member

Hello Gavin.
There's a small rhythmic illusion you do twice in the live version of "Hatesong" (from the "Arriving Somewhere" DVD) But I transcribed from 8:14 onwards (On this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4f3P...eature=related, and yes it sucks that a lot of this material is all over the web for free, but at least more people get to see some quality stuff from you guys) Anyway, is it something like that?. Well, I really like the feel of that illusion, so I hope you can give me some insight on it. Thanks!

Fox.
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin,

how are you doing!?

I've got one question about O-Rings..
I made one of an old Practice Pad like this:
http://store.drumbum.com/media/drum-practice-pad.jpg

My ring is about 2cm wide and is about 2mm thick.
When I use it with my 14" Snare Drum (Sonor Artist Vintage Maple) and I play ghost notes very silence, I can't hear the snare wires any more. You may know what I mean.

Do you have any tips how I can solve the problem? Or is the problem, that the O-Ring is to thick?!

Thank you very much
David
Old 04-03-2010, 01:55 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Adam8

I'm excited to hear that the Anesthetize DVD will be available soon, but was wondering why Stars Die and Prodigal from the Tilburg sets will not be included on the DVD.

There just wasn't room to fit all that onto a DVD - I believe it's already way over two hours.

Hi Anders Slåke

I was just wondering if it was possible in someway to get the drumless "Slippin' Away" - track that you play with on a couple of videos in youtube.

Sorry - I don't give away my backing tracks. You could do what I did and pay a keyboard player to make the track for you.

Hi Fox622003

There's a small rhythmic illusion you do twice in the live version of "Hatesong" (from the "Arriving Somewhere" DVD) But I transcribed from 8:14 onwards (On this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4f3P...eature=related, and yes it sucks that a lot of this material is all over the web for free, but at least more people get to see some quality stuff from you guys) Anyway, is it something like that?.

It sounds more triplet based to me.

Hi Kalma

My ring is about 2cm wide and is about 2mm thick.
When I use it with my 14" Snare Drum (Sonor Artist Vintage Maple) and I play ghost notes very silence, I can't hear the snare wires any more. You may know what I mean.
Do you have any tips how I can solve the problem? Or is the problem, that the O-Ring is to thick?!

Yes WAY too thick. That would kill any snare drum. You need to make them out of old drum heads.

cheers
Gavin
Old 04-03-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox622003 View Post
Hello Gavin.
There's a small rhythmic illusion you do twice in the live version of "Hatesong" (from the "Arriving Somewhere" DVD) But I transcribed from 8:14 onwards (On this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4f3P...eature=related, and yes it sucks that a lot of this material is all over the web for free, but at least more people get to see some quality stuff from you guys) Anyway, is it something like that?. Well, I really like the feel of that illusion, so I hope you can give me some insight on it. Thanks!

Fox.
Hi Fox,

Maybe i'm wrong, but I would have write this fill like this:

edit: Gavin answered faster than me...! :)
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex P. View Post
Hi Fox,

Maybe i'm wrong, but I would have write this fill like this:

edit: Gavin answered faster than me...! :)
Perfect, thanks! I knew something odd was going on with my interpretation of it, I thought Gavin just pulled the beat there or something, and that's why it didn't sound exactly how I wrote it, but it was triplet based, which makes more sense. Thanks a lot for the transcription.

Fox.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:53 AM

Hi guys

I made and run askgavinharrison.com

Due to me and my families home burning down last month I could use a little help on this website. I could use graphic design help (because I don't do that sort of thing) and some bodies to log more of Gavin's answers from here.

The job pays nothing :)

As to not derail this thread, pm me if you can help.

http://www.askgavinharrison.com
Old 04-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Silver Member

Not to hijack the tread or anything but I cam across this. Sorry for your house man!
Old 04-05-2010, 05:46 PM

Hi Gavin,

Because there seems to be several 12 strand puresound snare wires, I wanted to ask which one you use in spesific? Concert or equalizer?

PURESOUND C1412 CONCERT TEPPICH 14/12

There's a gap between the wires here:
PURESOUND E1412 EQUALIZER TEPPICH 14/12

Or some other one? Thank you.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:21 PM

Hi Gavin!

First I want to say how much of an inspiration you are for my drumming, and how much your view on polyrhythms and odd times had improved my general approach to my bands songs!

Now to my question. I was trying to fool around with the 3 16ths override over a pattern of 7/8, but im really struggling to internalize it, to the point of frustration. I want to apply it to one of my songs, but im not making any progress sadly.

Do you have any tips on how to get the feel of 3 over 7? Also, in this case after how many bars of 7 would the pattern resolve?

Thx a lot for your time
Old 04-06-2010, 11:45 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi wio

Because there seems to be several 12 strand puresound snare wires, I wanted to ask which one you use in spesific? Concert or equalizer?

Neither. I prefer Puresound Custom P1412

Hi PreludetoRuin

Do you have any tips on how to get the feel of 3 over 7? Also, in this case after how many bars of 7 would the pattern resolve?

Playing 3/16ths over 7/8 is not an easy thing to do. It will take 3 bars of 7/8 for it to resolve. It would also take 7 bars of 3/8. Try writing out your pattern in 7/8 and see exactly where the 3/16ths land in relation to the bass drum and snare drum notes. Then try and hear it from the other perspective and write out the whole thing again in 7/4 triplets where the cymbal in on each quarter note - and the bass drum and snare drum are playing around inside the triplets. Make sense?
One perspective will be easier to you than the other - even though your limbs will be playing exactly the same thing in both cases.

cheers
Gavin
Old 04-07-2010, 12:42 AM

Hi Gavin,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Announcement to be made any day now. Yes the special edition will be available via Burning Shed and the regular edition should be at our upcoming live shows too.
Will there also be a Blu-Ray available in parallel to the DVD? Seeing you guys on HD on my screen would make my day... no doubt.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Neither. I prefer Puresound Custom P1412
It looks like Puresound is no longer making them. I can't find them anywhere. Where do you buy/order them from?

This sucks. I have currently 20 (not Puresound) strands but playing with so many strands is a nightmare.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGau View Post
Hi Gavin,

Will there also be a Blu-Ray available in parallel to the DVD? Seeing you guys on HD on my screen would make my day... no doubt.
From what I gather, this is what will be released:

-Special Edition (1DVD, 1BluRay, 2 CDs all encased in a book w/ images from the bands live shows)
-2 Disc edition (1DVD, 1BluRay)
-Standard edition (1DVD)
Old 04-07-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibeachhead View Post
-Special Edition (1DVD, 1BluRay, 2 CDs all encased in a book w/ images from the bands live shows)
-2 Disc edition (1DVD, 1BluRay)
-Standard edition (1DVD)
Great... couldn't find these details. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:03 PM

Hello Gavin,

1. At what sample rates do U normally record when U're requested to prepare the very final tracks aka at what sample rates usually pro's record in studios?

2. Have U got the famous "Masterplan" CD by Dave Weckl? The title track is a drums duet based tune by Chick Corea where Weckl plays with Gadd: the result is amazing to me 'cuz the drums don't battle to each other but make real music. Have U ever done anything like that or planning/wishing to do something similar in future? See also the result of the duet by two so different guys like Thomas Lang and Luis Conte at the MD Festival.....

thank U again,
Ste
Old 04-08-2010, 04:33 AM

Just a quick question about the workout mat under your drums...is it a firm mat? Reason being, I couldn't figure out why my playing was always different at my guitartist's house for practice, than it was at home. At home, the drums are in a basement on a hard floor, and at my guitarists, it's on a carpet. At home, it's much more comfortable to play, but at my guitarists, the extra play from the carpet throws everything off. So anyway, I'm trying to find something to lay down over the carpet that would help take away the play that the carpet would have. Any suggestions?

If I'm not making sense, I apologize...been a long day at work. :)

Take Care!
Old 04-08-2010, 06:38 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi wio

It looks like Puresound is no longer making them. I can't find them anywhere. Where do you buy/order them from?

Yes I couldn't find them online anymore so I guess they have stopped producing them. Bad news. I'll talk to them and see if they'll make a batch of just 8 strands available.

Hi steste50

1. At what sample rates do U normally record when U're requested to prepare the very final tracks aka at what sample rates usually pro's record in studios?

Generally for CD 44.1khz or 48khz for video.

2. Have U got the famous "Masterplan" CD by Dave Weckl? The title track is a drums duet based tune by Chick Corea where Weckl plays with Gadd: the result is amazing to me 'cuz the drums don't battle to each other but make real music. Have U ever done anything like that or planning/wishing to do something similar in future? See also the result of the duet by two so different guys like Thomas Lang and Luis Conte at the MD Festival.....

I think I do have Masterplan but I haven't heard it in a long time. I've done a couple of projects with two drummers - most recently in King Crimson with Pat Mastelotto. It's a hard thing to get right and needs a lot of planning beforehand. It's very different from doing drums + percussion because the sounds are not competing in the same way as having two snare drums and two bass drums.

Hi <3Josh<3

Just a quick question about the workout mat under your drums...is it a firm mat?

not completely - there is some give in them. But it's not like playing on carpet with underlay where things can get a bit wobbly - and if the carpet is thick it will suck up a lot of your sound too.

cheers
Gavin
Old 04-09-2010, 09:35 AM

Gavin,

What was the hardest part about writing "Beyond the A"? I know it's in 4/4, but you must have put the practice of subdivisions to the test! Did it remind you of playing 'Swerve" as an example of displacing notes?

Thanks
Eric
Old 04-09-2010, 08:35 PM

Hey Gavin,

I'm attending your show in Chicago on the 30th of April, can't wait. I saw that the band "Bigelf" will also be there. I find the music quite unique, much different from the sounds of PT. So how did you guys come to find this band?
Old 04-09-2010, 09:17 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi euphoric_anomaly

What was the hardest part about writing "Beyond the A"? I know it's in 4/4, but you must have put the practice of subdivisions to the test! Did it remind you of playing 'Swerve" as an example of displacing notes?

It was a fun thing to do actually. I've spent a lot time trying to make 'odd time signatures' sound not odd - so trying to make 4/4 sound 'odd' was kind of easy in a way. I guess that's where similarities to "Swerve" come in but I wasn't think of Swerve when I was working on "Beyond The A".

Hi pixelbreaker

I'm attending your show in Chicago on the 30th of April, can't wait. I saw that the band "Bigelf" will also be there. I find the music quite unique, much different from the sounds of PT. So how did you guys come to find this band?

I believe they're with the same booking agent as us - and they supported us in LA last year. Interesting band.

cheers
Gavin
Old 04-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Gold Member

Hey Gavin. The other day I was rehearsing with one of my bands and in the middle of the song I was playing this weird group of seven in a sixteenth note triplet feel that lasted for a bar and a half, and while at it, I was thinking: "Alright, what the heck?" I mean, even if your other band members manage to follow you on that, don't you think it breaks ther groove a bit? How do you decide when to do the whacky stuff? Personally, I have fun doing it, it is challenging, and to *me*, as a drummer, sounds cool, but most of the time, I think even as much as 80% of the people who are watching are going to think I'm messing up (and, of course, they won't be able to keep the beat), specially if there are several odd things all over the set. I don't know, it's kind of getting difficult to justify as I get more and more into this kind of stuff, as if I am losing perspective a bit, and most stuff odd sounds good to me, so I can't really decide if it's any good for the music or not. My best bet is it isn't... It would be great to hear your opinion on this, as someone who likes playing a lot of "rhythmic illusions".
And then there's also the matter of not only getting bored playing the obvious, but also being just another drummer, playing what any other drummer would.
Alright, hope the question wasn't too confusing, and thanks a lot for your time.

Fox.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox622003 View Post
Hey Gavin. The other day I was rehearsing with one of my bands and in the middle of the song I was playing this weird group of seven in a sixteenth note triplet feel that lasted for a bar and a half, and while at it, I was thinking: "Alright, what the heck?" I mean, even if your other band members manage to follow you on that, don't you think it breaks ther groove a bit? How do you decide when to do the whacky stuff? Personally, I have fun doing it, it is challenging, and to *me*, as a drummer, sounds cool, but most of the time, I think even as much as 80% of the people who are watching are going to think I'm messing up (and, of course, they won't be able to keep the beat), specially if there are several odd things all over the set. I don't know, it's kind of getting difficult to justify as I get more and more into this kind of stuff, as if I am losing perspective a bit, and most stuff odd sounds good to me, so I can't really decide if it's any good for the music or not. My best bet is it isn't... It would be great to hear your opinion on this, as someone who likes playing a lot of "rhythmic illusions".
And then there's also the matter of not only getting bored playing the obvious, but also being just another drummer, playing what any other drummer would.
Alright, hope the question wasn't too confusing, and thanks a lot for your time.

Fox.
I'm not Gavin but thought I'd drop my 2 cents in. I think if a drummer chooses to play a lot of odd time signatures/illusions/rhythmic trickery etc., it is his responsibility to make it musical and make it groove. As Gavin has pointed out many times, no one other than other musicians are gonna care that you understand how to play 13/16 or an 8th note triplet groove over 7/8 or whatever. But if you do it right, and you really focus on keeping the beat in the pocket no matter how the beat is chopped up, you can do it in a way that people will sort of almost not notice. They will know that the drummer is doing something weird, but if it grooves it shouldn't sound awkward or stilted.

I know the struggle you refer to; many times I have written overrides or rhythmic illusions into my parts and wondered if I was just being a drummer stroking myself or if it was actually a good musical decision. It's entirely subjective and personal. I like to go back to the greats like Neil Peart and Bill Bruford when I have any doubt, and listen to the way they would weave their rhythmic trickery into the groove and just make it completely organic.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:14 PM

Hi Gavin,

I registered here mainly to tell you that you guys were great last night (Monterrey, Mexico). I really hope you come back soon! It was great to watch you play live dude, you're a huge inspiration to me.

Nice magic trick by the way haha
Old 04-11-2010, 02:52 AM

Hi Gavin,

Again, thanks so much for all of your inspiration!!

I am going to see you guys in Quebec City on May 6 and was wondering if you had an idea if the setlist was going to include the entire disc one of "Incident". I saw you in Montreal last year and, of course, you did the entire disc then, but I was just wondering if you were going to change that up, being back in the same neighbourhood.

Thanks!! Can't wait until May 6th!!

Kevin
Old 04-11-2010, 03:18 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Fox622003

The other day I was rehearsing with one of my bands and in the middle of the song I was playing this weird group of seven in a sixteenth note triplet feel that lasted for a bar and a half, and while at it, I was thinking: "Alright, what the heck?" I mean, even if your other band members manage to follow you on that, don't you think it breaks ther groove a bit? How do you decide when to do the whacky stuff?

As with anything you play you have to consider the context. If you're play some kind of way out fusion in a band like Allan Holdsworth's then it might have a place*. If you're doing top 40 music in a function room - it won't have a place.

* but it's also a question of taste. Presuming that you were playing in something like Allan's band - you would have to consider if you think it's tasteful and appropriate for that moment. Just because you CAN play it - doesn't mean it's always right TO play it.

It shouldn't break anyone's 'groove' if you play it in time. The moments where I choose to do something a little 'crazy' are only when I feel it's not going to ruin anything, and be in some way tasteful. I have witnessed drummers doing crazy things - and quite often I felt they were not in the right context and so it came across pretty badly (in my opinion). Someone else might have been standing in the same room and thought it was fantastic. It's all subjective to ones own personal taste.

Hi MyNameIsMud

I registered here mainly to tell you that you guys were great last night (Monterrey, Mexico).

thanks - we had a great time!!

Hi KevShephard

I am going to see you guys in Quebec City on May 6 and was wondering if you had an idea if the setlist was going to include the entire disc one of "Incident". I saw you in Montreal last year and, of course, you did the entire disc then, but I was just wondering if you were going to change that up, being back in the same neighbourhood.

I don't know what we will play exactly that night. I don't think we played Quebec last year - so there may be lots of folks there who are hoping to see the entire "Incident" performed as they didn't get chance last time.

cheers
Gavin
Old 04-11-2010, 12:29 PM

Gavin,

During the middle of 19 Days, you switch to a 3/8's? triplet on the hi-hat. I saw you recently stated that playing a 3/16 triplet over a 7/8 time is difficult, was it just as tough mastering that technique for the song? Whenever I play triplets it always seems to throw me off beat because I subconsciously want to start a triplet on 1.

Did you ever get the link to my website that I sent you?

Eric
Old 04-11-2010, 07:04 PM

First of all, congrats on your first gig in Monterrey, I have a friend who lives there and that was the first time he saw you guys live. He was amazed!! He never believed me how amazing Porcupine Tree sounds live, but he totally does now!

Best of wishes on your (also) first gig in Guadalajara, bet is gonna be a blast!!

I'll see you guys on Wednesday in Mexico City, I already saw you guys in 2007, it was definitely the best gig (and day), of my life. I remember I got there at 12:00 p.m. and was waiting for you guys to come out at least to get something to eat, but never happened. It's ok though, just watching/listening you guys play was way worthy!

Bottom line, I was wondering, is there any chance to catch you up before or after the concert, just to say hi, shake hands and maybe have a picture? If not I'd totally understand, I guess you guys get tired of people asking for this, but you know I bet when you were younger (and even now), you had to wait outside a venue to catch your favourite musicians or so.

Anyway, in the end is all about the music and if there's no chance to meet you at least I know I'll watch/hear an amazing concert, and my favourite musician (which happens to be you) haha.

Thanks in advance, just for reading this Gavin. Best of wishes again, and have fun in Mexico!!!!
Old 04-12-2010, 10:54 PM

hello Gavin

I wanted to ask you about your buzz and ghost notes technique,
in many PT songs i can hear that you do buzz rolls on the snare in fills or play 16th notes buzz while keeping 8th notes on the hihat or ride.
which technique do you use? are there any exercises or rudiments that you use to improve that technique, or ghost notes or buzz in general?

P.S
I'm really looking for the PT show here in Israel, is there any chance that while you are here you will do a clinic?

I really like your drumming, you are absolutely one of my favorite drummers
and thank you very much for answering your fans questions!

cheers
omer
Old 04-13-2010, 04:18 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi euphoric_anomaly

During the middle of 19 Days, you switch to a 3/8's? triplet on the hi-hat. I saw you recently stated that playing a 3/16 triplet over a 7/8 time is difficult, was it just as tough mastering that technique for the song? Whenever I play triplets it always seems to throw me off beat because I subconsciously want to start a triplet on 1

Your question has confused me - I don't play triplets on the hi hat in that song. A triplet is different to a group of 3/16ths. During one of the performances of 19 Days I do play a group of 3/16th of the 19/8 time signature...and yes it's quite hard!

Hi FearOfaPlanetWithoutGavin

I was wondering, is there any chance to catch you up before or after the concert, just to say hi, shake hands and maybe have a picture?

Sorry but I can't promise to meet you before or after the show as I don't know exactly when or what I'll be doing at those times. Sometimes we see people after the show - sometimes we leave the venue directly from the stage. Hope you enjoy the show.

Hi omer

I wanted to ask you about your buzz and ghost notes technique,
in many PT songs i can hear that you do buzz rolls on the snare in fills or play 16th notes buzz while keeping 8th notes on the hihat or ride.
which technique do you use? are there any exercises or rudiments that you use to improve that technique, or ghost notes or buzz in general?

I can't say that I use any particular technique for that. I guess it comes from my jazz background. The hard part is getting the ghost notes at the right volume for the context of the tune - and still being able to hit a hard backbeat too.

cheers
Gavin