DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:40 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Current drum trends you wish would go away

Those 16 inch (and more) hi-hats to me also completely make no sense..
Old 01-18-2019, 11:43 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdrummerky View Post
Maybe the next trend for 2019 will be to mount your cymbals below the drums.
Done...

Attached Images

Old 01-18-2019, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push pull stroke View Post
Multi-ply drums. They are the McDonald’s of the drum world. They’re everywhere, boring, and uninspiring.

We’ve got lighter kits (Oriollo aluminum), moisture-proof and tougher kits (Jenkins-Martin fiberglass), and single-ply kits (N&C, Craviotto, etc.), and even a few hollow-log kits (although those are not practical for gigging out). All of those sound as good as multi-ply, and most of them sound better. And the aluminum and fiberglass kits could easily be (especially aluminum) produced cheaper than multi-ply kits if it were done on a larger scale.
I love this!!! Every drummer on Earth playing a Craviotto would certainly make the world sound better. I'm way over singers who have their own drum on stage that they hit on 1 and 3 every once in a while. A certain cymbal company that doesn't own a foundry or any physical property at all. I won't name names (Dream Cymbals). Who outsources their cymbals from China and has millions of fifteen year old "endorsers". Also these same fifteen year olds calling themselves "endorsed by" said cymbal company. And nobody should be getting their panties in a wad here. I play big drums set up very flat with huge cymbals also set up flat. They are very expensive ply drums with two ply batter heads and yet I'm not insulted. I do not however have 16" hi-hats, because that would be stupid. Have a little fun!

Last edited by LikeToPlay; 01-19-2019 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeToPlay View Post
Who outsources their cymbals from China and has millions of fifteen year old "endorsers". Also these same fifteen year olds calling themselves "endorsed by" said cymbal company.
Oooh this is a good one. These usually exploitative, hollow endorsement deals are really a blight indeed.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:08 AM
Platinum Member

Current drum trends you wish would go away:

Drummers complaining about other drummer's just because they are different.

Seriously.....
Old 01-19-2019, 12:21 AM
LikeToPlay
This message has been deleted by LikeToPlay.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:30 AM
Silver Member

I can't think of a gear trend that bothers me enough to mention. However a playing trend I won't miss when it goes away is metal guys riding on a china.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:41 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Multi-ply drums. They are the McDonald’s of the drum world. They’re everywhere, boring, and uninspiring.
Don't really see this as a trend. I don't see them going away any time soon.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdrummerky View Post
True! And now we have drummers tilting them far away.
There was an interview with Anika Niles where she said she tilted hers away, because the way she hit them, they needed to be tilted in that direction to sound right. Well before it became hip, I used to do that with my Wuhan, because it gave it longer sustain if I could hit it in the right spot. If not, it was super short, which was kinda cool too.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:17 AM
Platinum Member

That's a rare thing, tilting the cymbals back.
Only a few oddball dingdongs do it, but I think drummers like Anika and Ben Sesar do it for a personal Kansei ergonomic adaption.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:18 AM
Platinum Member

Really tall bass drums, with the rack tom mounted way off the the left.

I like the rack tom to be almost above the bass pedal, certainly near the centre of the drum, not away to the left where my crash cymbal should be.

If I angle my body to the left to reach the rack tom, then the floor tom sits behind me. Annoying.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrisman View Post
Really tall bass drums, with the rack tom mounted way off the the left.

I like the rack tom to be almost above the bass pedal, certainly near the centre of the drum, not away to the left where my crash cymbal should be.

If I angle my body to the left to reach the rack tom, then the floor tom sits behind me. Annoying.
well then... that counts out Bo, myself, and several of the the others.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:30 PM
"Uncle Larry"

This thread is hilarious. I'm definitely guilty of some of the crimes listed here.

I'm not telling which ones. But I am a DW criminal apparently.

Time for me to go on the lam, crap.

On 2nd thought, since I'll be forever on the lam, I will confess my crimes.

It may shed a little light on why this is done by some.

My cymbals look flat from the throne. They don't seem tilted away from me while I'm sitting at the throne. But from the audience, they look slightly tilted away from me. But from my perspective on the throne, they look flat.

I have a certain cymbal technique where I don't crash the cymbal hard, instead, I use a softer glancing swipe on the very edge, as opposed to smashing it. It gets more volume with less force that way. I'm going for the less force part. I only use maybe 60% of the available cymbal volume. (crashing) In addition, I prefer the sound much better that way. I can hit with much more efficiency (energy-wise) when the edge is flat and stupid easy to access. It blooms nicer and is simply more responsive to edge swipes. Plus if I really want volume...a flat cymbal decays more evenly than a tilted cymbal. I feel the flatter a cymbal is, the more volume it can produce, with less stress on the cymbal hole too.

If someone has a problem with my flat or slightly tilted away from me cymbals, they are the one with the problem. I play how I need to play.

Last edited by larryace; 01-19-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The first toms were all hollow log drums.

#justsayin
That doesn't make them better.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:06 PM

For me, I find nothing evil or stupid or whatever. I see ingenuity, originality. The drummer is an individual. I don't have to play like you, or set my kit up like Neil or have my toms centered just right.

My point is, why do you care about how and what others are playing? Like my Buddy Rich quote in my sig, I learn from ALL drummers man. I may not like it, but I'll learn from it. Maybe how to do something a little different that fits me and my style.

I saw someone here who posted a vid. And he was playing traditional with his right hand. Which, in all honestly isn't traditional at all. I'm a righty, I used to do this ALL the time when I first started playing and learning. Simply because, it came naturally to me. But I was ridiculed in school by teachers and more accomplished drummers. I was going to ask the guy if anyone here gave him crap because of his stick style.

People told Jimi he could NOT turn that guitar upside down and play it. It'll never work.. . . . . .boy, were they wrong.

Hell, if I want to angle my cymbals just to the right by 3.5876 degrees, I will. This thread is silly.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog new Cans View Post
For me, I find nothing evil or stupid or whatever. I see ingenuity, originality. The drummer is an individual. I don't have to play like you, or set my kit up like Neil or have my toms centered just right.

My point is, why do you care about how and what others are playing? Like my Buddy Rich quote in my sig, I learn from ALL drummers man. I may not like it, but I'll learn from it. Maybe how to do something a little different that fits me and my style.

I saw someone here who posted a vid. And he was playing traditional with his right hand. Which, in all honestly isn't traditional at all. I'm a righty, I used to do this ALL the time when I first started playing and learning. Simply because, it came naturally to me. But I was ridiculed in school by teachers and more accomplished drummers. I was going to ask the guy if anyone here gave him crap because of his stick style.

People told Jimi he could NOT turn that guitar upside down and play it. It'll never work.. . . . . .boy, were they wrong.

Hell, if I want to angle my cymbals just to the right by 3.5876 degrees, I will. This thread is silly.
I think you're missing the point slightly here. I think what annoys a lot of posters in this thread is that many drummers follow a trend not because it suits them, but just because the other cool drummers are doing this and so they too want to be cool without thinking for themselves.

So yes, I agree with you that you should be able to do what you want with your drums and be as original as you want, but set them up according to your own wants, needs and tastes, not just because the cool kid of the moment is doing it.

All of that said, it can be fun finding out about people's little gripes, however irrational and unnecessary they appear to be.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyY View Post
That doesn't make them better.
The sound is definitely better, you can really hear the voice of the wood, and the note is shorter too, which is good for recording. They’re just not practical for gigging, though. Way too responsive to humidity, prone to warping and cracking and shrinking if they go through extreme humidity changes.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:59 PM
Gold Member

Nothing is really current ,it's just the fashion changing for the sake of fashions sake.

The oversized bass drum trend over these past years does bug me though.

Kind of like bell bottoms and skinny jeans.

I read a book called I can sell you anything back in college and the Madison Avenue techniques are still alive and well in the drum biz.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member

I wish the trend of these kind of threads would go away.
No, really.

Play what you like, what inspires you and stop worrying and/or caring about what others like or don't.
Jeeeeezus.

There are lots of things I don't like. Pay them no attention and move on. See? Easy.

[14 CREW]
Old 01-19-2019, 08:11 PM

Oh well might as well bite.
Super tight sounding snare drums that crack like a starting pistol....much prefer a softer snare with a bit of tone to it...
Old 01-19-2019, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

My ply drums are something else you'll be prying from my cold dead hands.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-Arne Oseberg View Post
My ply drums are something else you'll be prying from my cold dead hands.

And about 500,000 others among us...But again, if you like steel or aluminum or stave drums, that’s great! More variety makes life more interesting. When we’re all the same it really is time for drum machines to take over the world.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:05 PM
Silver Member

vyacheslav post was still interesting about the fact that some trends could be a problem when you share equipment with other drummers.
The "no rack tom" trend or 16" Hihat would put me in difficulty personally with my band if I had to use that kind of kit from somebody else. Same with the over deep snare or extra high bass drum. That said, of course everybody can play whatever he likes, that isn't the point I think, but to go far from what we can call "a standard" drum kit can be a pain for the one who need to share your kit or be a pain to you if one day you need to play on a standard kit if you're not used too.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:10 PM
Administrator

The current trend that's not been mentioned, is the trend of not using drums or drummers at all. I wish that would go away!
Old 01-19-2019, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The current trend that's not been mentioned, is the trend of not using drums or drummers at all. I wish that would go away!
Well said. The greatest musical tragedy yet for us drummers.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erberderber View Post
I think you're missing the point slightly here. I think what annoys a lot of posters in this thread is that many drummers follow a trend not because it suits them, but just because the other cool drummers are doing this and so they too want to be cool without thinking for themselves.

So yes, I agree with you that you should be able to do what you want with your drums and be as original as you want, but set them up according to your own wants, needs and tastes, not just because the cool kid of the moment is doing it.

All of that said, it can be fun finding out about people's little gripes, however irrational and unnecessary they appear to be.
I see. Well, I still think some of the posts are silly. But silly isn't bad.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

Loops, clicks, and Beat Detective.

I don't mind new stuff, but if I have gripe it's one I share with many musicians that grew up with smething different involving more dynamics, creativity and playing together.

It's not like there's no stuff like that out there, but there's preciously little of it in the charts.

It's about music in general, but it's all about visuals and image. We watch music more than we listen to it and the norm isn't to be creative and challenge the listeners a little bit, but simply sounding like everybody else. I swear that the few times I check out the top 40 list I've heard the same 4-5 songs, the same two chord progressions with just different lyrics and nothing else for 20 years.

In all honestly, one of the formulas is one I can enjoy if done well, but mostly not.

I'm not gonna praise old the classics because even my old favourite artist I'm quite tired of.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:04 AM

I don’t particularly care for ten inch toms or short floor toms. I don’t play em. I grew up with big toms so that’s what I like and play, I do happen to like my 20” long bass drum, but that’s me I’m a free spirit!
Old 01-20-2019, 03:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickP View Post
Three Ply drum heads
I found this funnier than I should.

My main gripe at the mo is gospel chops for me aka dynamics are for pussies drumming
Old 01-20-2019, 03:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post

My main gripe at the mo is gospel chops for me aka dynamics are for pussies drumming
A little goes a long way on gospel chops.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:

They're definitely fun to play, but not entirely practical.

I do enjoy watching and learning various patterns for fun, but there's no way (for me) to use them stylistically.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:59 AM
Platinum Member

Not entirely drum related, but a local 50’s band plays to backing tracks - you can hear saxes and a horn section playing, even though the band is just guitars, keyboard, drums. If you’re going to play 50’s Rock n’ Roll, you shouldn’t need to augment the band with backing tracks.

I really prefer to hear a live band that actually plays everything live. As soon as I hear extra parts coming through I feel a bit disappointed, like its a fraud.

As for this thread - the title says ‘trends you wish would go away’. Which means its just MY opinion about what bugs ME. Definitely not an attack on anyone who plays any of the things listed so far. Enjoying the responses so far.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:

The instagram gospel videos ugh. The chops are definitely impressive but I view that the same way I watch people that are amazing at marching snare. Talented but lame (to me) and not musical. I'd much prefer to see someone like Gavin Harrison who can go full spectrum from nothing to everything.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:25 AM
Silver Member

I love big cymbals because I like how they sit in the music instead of piercing through it. There are times, however, where I hear a drummer playing large cymbals, and I wish the ride had more definition. Having said that, I don't begrudge anyone who wants to play smaller cymbals. To each their own.

Having said all that, I do have a hard time with super high pitched snare drums. I'm talking about the kind where the audience blinks or winces every time the drummer hits the snare. That's not really a current trend though, just a personal pet peeve.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Something in this thread I can agree with!!
Old 01-20-2019, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
AGREE!
Spent the last two weeks working on material for artists that have 100% programed drum tracks on their albums.

I hate it. It's a control thing with producers and artists. They want it a specific way, and don't trust the opinion of a drummer. I actually had an artist tell me they don't really like Ride Cymbals, so there aren't any on the record. My reply was, well I don't like D strings, so how about we cut that off your guitar?

So much of the crap producers are programing they "think" is creative, but it's not musical at all. Has no groove or feel, and goes against what any well educated drummer would actually do.

Sorry for the rant, but this is an issue that I deal with on a daily basis.
YouTube
Old 01-21-2019, 12:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoDrums View Post
The instagram gospel videos ugh. The chops are definitely impressive but I view that the same way I watch people that are amazing at marching snare. Talented but lame (to me) and not musical. I'd much prefer to see someone like Gavin Harrison who can go full spectrum from nothing to everything.
With ya there.

Always on dead heads too and holy cymbals slanting away from the drummer.

Mr Harrison is cool I've had the pleasure with Porcupine Tree three times. Wish they'd get back together!
Old 01-21-2019, 02:10 AM
Platinum Member

I don't have any that I wish would go away, even drum machines.

I am however always puzzled at the kits with 15 cymbals. I generally only listen to pop/rock and, maybe it's my ears but, I never hear very many different cymbals being played in the songs.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Tricks View Post
I don't have any that I wish would go away, even drum machines.

I am however always puzzled at the kits with 15 cymbals. I generally only listen to pop/rock and, maybe it's my ears but, I never hear very many different cymbals being played in the songs.
For real. I see no need for more than 4 cymbals. Ride, small crash, big crash, and splash. Plus hats LOL.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:04 AM
Platinum Member

That is what I use. I have enough trouble keeping track of my parts as it is :)
Old 01-21-2019, 03:10 AM
Senior Consultant

Quote:
For real. I see no need for more than 4 cymbals. Ride, small crash, big crash, and splash. Plus hats LOL.
I did a session last year and the engineer was pretty well known for his drum sounds

After he spent a while talking abut how he did it, I asked “What about cymbals”
His reply: “ They pretty much go Pshhh”

Two crashes (one for each hand) is usually all the music needs.
Throw in a special efrects cymbal and you’re covered