DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:57 AM

Default time keeping/ guitarists

Has anyone had the problem of being in a band where the guitar player thinks he is the time keeper?

They always want to push the beat and i feel like im getting pulled along with them.

So i looked into how to be rock steady with timing and so on (benny greb and Billy ward) and
so i stubbornly play what i think the timing is but when i listen back the band sounds like a trainwreck because they are still not playing to me!

I have talked to them about rushing problems and discussed what tempos the songs should be. They say they want to give the song 'energy'. I also wanted to count the songs off but they didnt like that idea.

One of the guitarists has improved but its still not good. You can hear noticeble flammig between our playing and the songgs have no energy at all, in fact it makes the drums sound dragging when they are bang on the beat!

Any ideas?
Old 01-03-2019, 10:34 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: time keeping/ guitarists

That's one benefit to playing to a click... As long as you're on the click, they have no leg to stand on.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:15 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjazzuk View Post
Has anyone had the problem of being in a band where the guitar player thinks he is the time keeper?

They always want to push the beat and i feel like im getting pulled along with them.

So i looked into how to be rock steady with timing and so on (benny greb and Billy ward) and
so i stubbornly play what i think the timing is but when i listen back the band sounds like a trainwreck because they are still not playing to me!

I have talked to them about rushing problems and discussed what tempos the songs should be. They say they want to give the song 'energy'. I also wanted to count the songs off but they didnt like that idea.

One of the guitarists has improved but its still not good. You can hear noticeble flammig between our playing and the songgs have no energy at all, in fact it makes the drums sound dragging when they are bang on the beat!

Any ideas?
Personally, and for the record I don't know shit. But if your band, as a unit, thinks songs are dragging and lack energy at the speed being properly played at. Then, even though you are in the right, you should take them up a few BPM. It will likely tighten things up a little.

There is a speed I find that often just feels "right". For example, we occasionally play Blitzkrieg Bop....probably around 40BPM faster than the original record speed. Now, the original record speed may be "correct". But God it's tighter, more exciting, and easier to play, played significantly faster.

Just my thoughts, for what they're worth (which is sod all).
Old 01-03-2019, 11:17 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutaway79 View Post
That's one benefit to playing to a click... As long as you're on the click, they have no leg to stand on.
It's a pyrrhic victory though to be proven right, and for everything to sound and feel shite do you not think ?
Old 01-03-2019, 12:01 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like they're just speeding up, that's nothing to do with you, just means they're crap players with more ego than talent if they wont listen. Never heard of a band being funny about letting the drummer count a song in??!!?? Failing from the first note springs to mind.

Polyrhythms are cool, polytempos not so much.

As a band you should be listening to each other and they should be listening to you for the tempo. You are the time keeper. You'll never be a tight band if you can't all play at the same tempo.

I guarantee if you start faster, they'll still speed up. Good luck trying to record to a click.

Find another band, you're wasting your time.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member

Do a few rehearsals. Run a click track. The entire band gets the click.

See what happens.

If they can't figure it out by then, chances are they may never.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
Harsh (even though more than likely true). They may just be inexperienced and need to learn.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadLeader View Post
It's a pyrrhic victory though to be proven right, and for everything to sound and feel shite do you not think ?
If the band decides on a speed that feels right for the song, and then uses a click that is that speed whenever they perform it, it will always sound/feel "good" to the audience. It's not about victory... It's about doing one's job properly.

It's very easy to rush and drag songs in the heat of the moment. There are nights when a click track I've been playing to for years, feels slow to me, or fast to someone else, or whatever... Having the click means it will always feel good, as long as everyone grooves with it, and no one tries to fight it.

And I wasn't saying that it's always best to use a click. I just said that that's one benefit of using one... It ends the argument of who's rushing/dragging... So long as you (the drummer) are on it. Cuz I've met very few guitarists who will jump to admit that they're the reason the song isn't grooving.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Harsh (even though more than likely true). They may just be inexperienced and need to learn.
We've been there, seen it, done it, got the T-Shirt in terms of gigging and we're still learning. You do encounter some 'characters' along the way!

Life is short and your gigging life is even shorter to be putting up with the crap the OP is by the sounds of it :)
Old 01-03-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Personally, and for the record I don't know shit. But if your band, as a unit, thinks songs are dragging and lack energy at the speed being properly played at. Then, even though you are in the right, you should take them up a few BPM. It will likely tighten things up a little.

There is a speed I find that often just feels "right". For example, we occasionally play Blitzkrieg Bop....probably around 40BPM faster than the original record speed. Now, the original record speed may be "correct". But God it's tighter, more exciting, and easier to play, played significantly faster.

Just my thoughts, for what they're worth (which is sod all).
No no i appreciate it! I forgot to say that i have relented and let the guitar player dictate the tempo, i got tired of the feeling of fighting him for tempo 'dominance' and the irritated glares when i slow down after he speeds up XD Naturally i like to lay back on a groove (i listen to a lot of funk and hiphop) whereas he listens to uptempo rock so naturally plays with nervous energy.

Im a lot more relaxed now that i play to him rather than expecting him play to me. Im just dissapointed and frustrated I wasnt able to articulate what I want and explain that the song will have energy if everyones playing is in sync, no matter the tempo. I do understand that there is a school of thought that playing faster live is better for excitement but were talking 20 bpm faster here for most songs haha

Another factor is, it is their original music. I came in 2 years later. And most songs start without drums. So i think, they think they know their songs better than me to count them off and second they actually said it looks unproffesional for me to count them in when they start the song..he actually said that just before a gig started when we had agreed i would count in...i didnt argue! XD maybe they found it patronising, but Zak Starskey counts off Oasis even if its a guitar starting, and thats the big headed Gallagher brothers!

Last edited by jimmyjazzuk; 01-15-2019 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member

Run a click track through the PA system and play along with it. Pick the right BPM as a group.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Sounds like they're just speeding up, that's nothing to do with you, just means they're crap players with more ego than talent if they wont listen. Never heard of a band being funny about letting the drummer count a song in??!!?? Failing from the first note springs to mind.

Polyrhythms are cool, polytempos not so much.

As a band you should be listening to each other and they should be listening to you for the tempo. You are the time keeper. You'll never be a tight band if you can't all play at the same tempo.

I guarantee if you start faster, they'll still speed up. Good luck trying to record to a click.

Polytempos haha.

They are good songwriters (like they get really good reviews of their music) but a little green when it comes to playing professionally.

Last edited by jimmyjazzuk; 01-15-2019 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Do a few rehearsals. Run a click track. The entire band gets the click.

See what happens.

If they can't figure it out by then, chances are they may never.
Good idea

We recorded an album, i recorded first to a click, everything ok. Then they record over that and it all becomes a mess. Post production, or whatever you call it, fixed most of the timing issues. I spent hours trawling through the recordings pointing out all the tempo irregularities to the producer to be fixed! He was literally lifting the guitar parts and dragging them backwards to line up wih the drum parts!

Last edited by jimmyjazzuk; 01-15-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:45 PM

Another reason I have stuck with it so far is that I have put work in on the arrangements of songs too so invested time and effort. Also I was fairly green two years ago myself but a lot of hardwork and i think im a decent performer now.

Conveniantly we have agreed all the tempos for the album recording so hopefully they still have them. We can set up the p.a. and rehearse and record. I do think it will still be a mess. But it will be proof that it is not me! (or maybe so!!!)

Last edited by jimmyjazzuk; 01-15-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Polytempos haha. Ive seriously been thinking about quitting because of the effort involved.

They are good songwriters (like they get really good reviews of their music) but green when it comes to playing professionally. I guess you could call them bedroom players, but i see the potential.
Ah wet behind the ears! They'll learn the hard way seeing as they don't listen. Empty pipes make the most noise!

Quote:
I'm just disappointed and frustrated I wasn't able to articulate what I want and explain that the song will have energy if everyone's playing is in sync, no matter the tempo.

Naturally i like to lay back on a groove (i listen to a lot of funk and hip-hop) whereas he listens to up-tempo rock
Stick with this ethos and you'll go far, you'll get paid and paid well in bands playing for the song.

Quote:
they think they know their songs better than me to count them off and second they actually said it looks unproffesional for me to count them in when they start the song..he actually said that just before a gig started when we had agreed i would count in...i didnt argue! XD maybe they found it patronising
Nope they're dicks with egos. Go get some paid gigs and look back and laugh at their diva crap!
Old 01-03-2019, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

Well time/keeping is the drummers part as far as the song is concerned but each musicians should keep good time-just like an orchestra. Part of playing any instruments is keeping time. I joined a band from Bandmix (tried three bands through it and had bad experiences) and I ran into same problem with rhythm guitarist and bass player. They had their time and the singer and I played the dang song. It was awful so I finally acquiesced to follow them-sounded worse and it was screwing up my time and singer. I quit and it was a good call as the band has morphed through numerous guitarist and drummers and still no band that has played a gig. When I was in the band we went through several lead guitarist (all through Bandmix) trying to find one and though some could keep good time most had a penchant to riff out a solo that always sounded the same in every song. I'm like play to the song dude. I shy from Bandmix now.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
we have agreed all the tempos for the album recording so hopefully they still have them. We can set up the p.a. and rehearse and record. I do think it will still be a mess. But it will be proof that it is not me! (or maybe so!!!)
I'd love to be on that session.

Waiting for the metronome is broke argument or the click is slowing down excuse.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:34 PM
Gold Member

I play the drums in one band and the guitar in another. There is something about the mechanics of playing the drums that make timekeeping easier. I have been praised over the years for my steady time behind the kit, so I know I have a solid internal metronome. I practise with a click quite a bit, and have actually playeds in bands where we use a click live with no difficulty.

The guitar is a different story. The drummer I play with is really good, and I know he is keeping solid time, but Ill be damned if it doesnt feel like I am always ahead or behind the beat. Something about the way a guitar is played just makes timekeeping more difficult. So I have learned over the years to trust the drummer and follow him, but maybe guitarists who aren't also drummers have a more difficult time learning that lesson.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

We recorded an album, i recorded first to a click, everything ok. Then they record over that and it all becomes a mess. Post production, "He was literally lifting the guitar parts and dragging them backwards to line up with the drum parts!"
This is all I need to know to determine where the problem is.
The tempo of the song, too fast or too slow is irrelevant.
A guitar player should be able to maintain a steady tempo throughout the song.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Run a click track through the PA system and play along with it. Pick the right BPM as a group.
This is a great suggestion.

If they feel a need to play fast, great, maybe thatís the bands sound. So like Mr. Porkpieguy said, pick the tempo together and groove to it. If they are still speeding up and willing to work on bringing it back, then itís a noble cause. If not, and they want to keep speeding up the tempo, then find new bandmates.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseownzu View Post
I play the drums in one band and the guitar in another. There is something about the mechanics of playing the drums that make timekeeping easier. I have been praised over the years for my steady time behind the kit, so I know I have a solid internal metronome. I practise with a click quite a bit, and have actually playeds in bands where we use a click live with no difficulty.

The guitar is a different story. The drummer I play with is really good, and I know he is keeping solid time, but Ill be damned if it doesnt feel like I am always ahead or behind the beat. Something about the way a guitar is played just makes timekeeping more difficult. So I have learned over the years to trust the drummer and follow him, but maybe guitarists who aren't also drummers have a more difficult time learning that lesson.
Yep, thinking in melody is not the same as thinking in time. Though both are tied together, they live in different dimensions. Only musicians can bring them together. Guitar players nor drummers cannot.

Remember, you can be a musician who focuses on drums or you can be a drummer. Same applies for all instruments.

Eclipseownzu, good for you on recognizing the deficit and trying to work on it. Thatís musicianship.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:26 AM

I think it's important to differentiate an *Absolute* BPM issue, vs. a push/pull *feel* issue. In other words...

If it's the case where they always want it 'faster' (or more commonly, you settle on a tempo in practice and then live they always want it faster), then it's likely a time-control issue with the band.

But, you should make sure that's the case, and not an issue where the guitarist wants to be 'ahead' of you, or ahead of the beat. Some genres (old school funk guitarists for eg) want to be be ahead of the beat, and that's fine. In that case, it's not a BPM issue, it's an issue if the drummer being able to hold a tempo and stay slightly behind the guitarists while he 'pushes' it.

I've dealt with both.. like I mentioned in the first case, the telltale sign is if you are all happy during rehearsal, but when it comes time for the gig, the adrenaline makes them want to up the BPM. Then you know it's a BPM issue. But if it's the case where regardless of BPM, they want to be ahead of you, it may not be a problem...
Old 01-04-2019, 09:27 AM

We worked out all the tempos for the album recording. Theres no way thats the tempo live though. I think its a case of the guitarist sees himself as a leader and want to lead everyone with his guitar part. So its very much a push thing and i get taken along for the ride. Also he plays very 'choppy', strumming the chords super hard to try and put emotion into it.

Unfortunately our producer encouraged it, only for him to then have to be paid thousands to correct it all in post. To me it doesnt sound good, its too percussive and the tone is bad and the feel is uncomfortable to listen to; the more intensity he puts in, the more he pushes beat.

i would have thought intensity comes from a tight band not from one guy trying too hard to inject energy.

for gigs ive gone so far as putting earplugs in, pointing the moniter away from me and humming the song at the tempo i think it should be and also using some billy ward time keeping mechanics, so id be like this immovable object. I guess i hoped the guitarist would realise he needed to play to me. During the gig im like "i nailed the tempos", guitarists looks pissed off and i listen to recording and it sounds like were not playing together. So i relented and i just push the beat too because it better to be in sync and rushing and just accepted that thats how its gonna be!
Old 01-04-2019, 09:56 AM

I don't think the tempo of a song has to be clinically perfect all the way through and I feel that a click can take away the life and energy if followed too tightly.

For me, the important thing is the synergy among players. For most mediocre musicians, it's easy to get lost in one's own playing. Gavin Harrison described it beautifully in a video when talking about a musician's 'CPU'. If all your CPU is taken up by concentrating on what you're doing, then there's no space left to listen to what the others are doing.

So it seems your band (and guitarist in particular) has a listening problem. Don't be afraid to tell them that, and if they deny it or can't accept it, then it's time to find another band. It's not just the drummer who is the time keeper, it's the whole band.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Any ideas?
Situations like this are always touchy. When I'm the sideman and there's a musical director (whoever the leader is), I'm there to work with them and give them what they want. If they want to go faster after they kick off the song, I go. As a regular member who kicks off the songs, I try to stay where I started it, but there's always this eventual pull one way or the other from within the band.

Bermuda always tells me to kick it off a little slower than what I'm thinking, because when you're in front of an audience, your natural tendency is to rush a little. Good advice.

But it's just an experience thing. Have you guys recorded a show? Maybe if you could do a clinical listening to one of your shows and hear how fast you guys are going compared to the actual artist recordings? Sometimes it's a matter of trust too - if you're all inexperienced, everyone is too busy looking and listening to themselves instead of hearing the band as a whole, and a recording could display that.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:11 PM
jimmyjazzuk
This message has been deleted by jimmyjazzuk.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:20 PM
Platinum Member

I've heard worse recordings don't beat yourself up! Get yourself louder in the mix live and get a bass part down so there's a solid rhythmic foundation you can hear and feel!

Spotted the problem straight away, your lead guitarist is too loud and his timing drags and rushes. His parts are too busy and don't compliment the rhythm playing which makes it sound out of time in places.

Without opening a massive can of worms, they need to work on arrangements, tones and dynamics which would really improve the songs. I get the feeling they're a bit precious of their babies so it might not go down well!

Or failing this do what this guy does, he's phenomenal live!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY7GnAq6Znw
Old 01-04-2019, 03:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

The guitarists don't practice with a metronome or drum machine.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:42 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I've heard worse recordings don't beat yourself up! Get yourself louder in the mix live and get a bass part down so there's a solid rhythmic foundation you can hear and feel!

Spotted the problem straight away, your lead guitarist is too loud and his timing drags and rushes. His parts are too busy and don't compliment the rhythm playing which makes it sound out of time in places.

Without opening a massive can of worms, they need to work on arrangements, tones and dynamics which would really improve the songs. I get the feeling they're a bit precious of their babies so it might not go down well!

Or failing this do what this guy does, he's phenomenal live!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY7GnAq6Znw
My first thoughts exactly. Its why bassists are so important, they add such a foundation to the melody instruments. I would say the guy needs to get a tele and a small fender combo and play under that main motif until its his turn to come out front. He is turned up because he is trying to get sustain out of an acoustic guitar which is a difficult thing to do. My guess is the timing issues wont change until something else does. He will continue to play loudly and pull the tempo around until something else forces him to do otherwise.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I would say the guy needs to get a tele and a small fender combo and play under that main motif until its his turn to come out front. He is turned up because he is trying to get sustain out of an acoustic guitar which is a difficult thing to do. My guess is the timing issues wont change until something else does. He will continue to play loudly and pull the tempo around until something else forces him to do otherwise.
Spot on, and invest in some decent pedals, the less is more approach soundscape-wise really works for stripped back acoustic songs. The lightweight Fender stuff is great and the new player series guitars look really good for the money.

Having 2 guitars in a band is harder than it looks, takes a lot of time working with tones so you're not clashing/fighting for the same sonic space.

I think from the level of the backing vocals which are louder than the lead, live and recorded that he'll always be this loud :)
Old 01-04-2019, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

I really don't hear much bad timing in those examples.

What I hear is the drums adding a jaunt to the first sections and then going into a straight backbeat in later sections, all while being in time but insinuating a push.

Busy jangly guitarists allow themselves more opportunity to steal the timing if they're not concentrating.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:09 PM

A pair of too-loud clacky acoustic-electric guitars and one muffled cajon. Guitarist/s aggressively taking up the sonic space where the hi hat and snare would be and the cajon isn't loud enough to compensate in the kick zone, so yeah, I can see an issue here. Tame 'em with a real kit!
Old 01-05-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
get a bass part down so there's a solid rhythmic foundation you can hear and feel!
Funnily enough we did get a bass player for the album launch who was in a band with lead player before. He had the same problem of being loud and busy though. It added petrol to the fire.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
My first thoughts exactly. Its why bassists are so important, they add such a foundation to the melody instruments. I would say the guy needs to get a tele and a small fender combo and play under that main motif until its his turn to come out front. He is turned up because he is trying to get sustain out of an acoustic guitar which is a difficult thing to do. My guess is the timing issues wont change until something else does. He will continue to play loudly and pull the tempo around until something else forces him to do otherwise.
So play electric for sustain. He has played electric before on ep which is on spotify. Didnt really mesh with the rest of the sound I remember the guitar pedals sounding a bit cheap. Havent listened to it in ages we were all very inexperienced.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustion View Post
A pair of too-loud clacky acoustic-electric guitars and one muffled cajon. Guitarist/s aggressively taking up the sonic space where the hi hat and snare would be and the cajon isn't loud enough to compensate in the kick zone, so yeah, I can see an issue here. Tame 'em with a real kit!
clacky guitars yes definitely, i would have thought raising the action would help but they didnt like the idea.
I played kit on some songs on ep on spotify if your interested, Didnt seem to help matters!
Old 01-05-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Way Jose View Post
The guitarists don't practice with a metronome or drum machine.
yep. will follow up on that one with them to see if they have started to do that.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:49 PM
Senior Consultant

It’s shouldn’t be so complex.

If they don’t like you counting in a song and you’ve already recorded them going way off tempo then they just aren’t any good as players. Sorry but that’s the truth. I (and many other good players) can sit in with good players, count a song in and it will lock in from the first beat. No discussion necessary. With or without a click.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:48 AM

Ok, so after watching the video, I think they sound good.....as a duo.

Iíve heard that sound before, percussive acoustic guitar ďbackedĒ by a second lead acoustic guitar.

Itís a style that works well as a duo, but will never fall in line with a drummer or a bass player. Itís not your fault or theirs. Just the nature of the ďsoundĒ or ďstyleĒ. Itís gonna eb and flow by nature and youíll never be in time. Nor will they.

Donít invest too much time. Life is too short.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:06 AM

I would watch their music at a local open mic, and it was great. Took me a couple years of asking before they let me join and now that I have, it doesnt seem to work, at all!! Its like the two percussive elements clash. This is after 3 years. I have fibromyalgia too, so every gig is a real physical exertion for me, so it has to be worth it. I have to say, my heart has not been in it, especially as its unpaid. I do like them as freinds but id rather watch them, than play with them. Sucks to quit bands with people your friends with, I did it a few years ago, its a bit awkward. Seeing as im out for three months with tendonitis anyway, it is probably a good time to write an email! Long time coming, you shouldnt resent doing gigs.

Last edited by jimmyjazzuk; 01-06-2019 at 05:21 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I would watch their music at a local open mic, and it was great. Took me a couple years of asking before they let me join and now that I have, it doesnt seem to work, at all!! Its like the two percussive elements clash. This is after 3 years. I have fibromyalgia too, so every gig is a real physical exertion for me, so it has to be worth it. I have to say, my heart has not been in it, especially as its unpaid. I do like them as freinds but id rather watch them, than play with them. Sucks to quit bands with people your friends with, I did it a few years ago, its a bit awkward. Seeing as im out for three months with tendonitis anyway, it is probably a good time to write an email! Long time coming, you shouldnt resent doing gigs.
Sounds to me like you are making the correct decision here.

I have played drums for many solo acoustic guitar players at open mic jams.
50% of them play with good consistent tempo. The other half play to their own internal metronome.
Meaning they are used to playing by themselves and their tempo is not consistent.
Their tempo rambles along and follows the emotion of their music and words.
Which sometimes is OK but it makes playing drums with them impossible.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
Sounds to me like you are making the correct decision here.

I have played drums for many solo acoustic guitar players at open mic jams.
50% of them play with good consistent tempo. The other half play to their own internal metronome.
Meaning they are used to playing by themselves and their tempo is not consistent.
Their tempo rambles along and follows the emotion of their music and words.
Which sometimes is OK but it makes playing drums with them impossible.

Sums it up perfectly.