DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 01-26-2015, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried putting a gloss or semi-gloss coating on the Signet drums. I think the Ebony finish, for example, might perk up quite nicely.

I have heard them on store display floors as well as at this and last year's NAMM shows and they have sounded good.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryabko View Post
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried putting a gloss or semi-gloss coating on the Signet drums. I think the Ebony finish, for example, might perk up quite nicely.

I have heard them on store display floors as well as at this and last year's NAMM shows and they have sounded good.
I do not believe so, as they already appear to have a thin poly coating on them. Bum Wraps are also not a good candidate due to the nature of the lugs.

I'm trying to find something from NAMM 2015 on the changes to the Signet, but have not found anything yet.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
I do not believe so, as they already appear to have a thin poly coating on them. Bum Wraps are also not a good candidate due to the nature of the lugs.

I'm trying to find something from NAMM 2015 on the changes to the Signet, but have not found anything yet.
I saw them at NAMM and they looked the same as I remembered.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
First off welcome to DW and congratulations on the new Signet kit. They sound remarkable and can look absolutely stunning.

Regarding the BD question, I've always understood that the BD shell should at no point make contact with the floor, it should be suspended between the from spurs and rear pedal clamp. This allows the drum to resonate without encumbrance, much like all of the other drums in a kit do.
Thanks! The Signet bass is lifted a good amount, so it got me thinking.

They do sound great, my playing is, well, rusty at best. Basics, basics, basics for now.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
The bass drum height is fairly subjective. I prefer it a bit lower, although I've seen it higher as well. I think they sort of chose a height they thought would work best for everyone. You're right, it's not a real issue in terms of playability.

Bermuda
Thank you. This thread helped me a lot in terms of narrowing down what I wanted. They are nice looking, nice sounding, a lot of fun to play, and I enjoyed the set up process more than I thought I would. I am all over the place with my playing still, unfortunately, but try to get in a practice session every day.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:38 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
I saw them at NAMM and they looked the same as I remembered.
Yeah, there wasn't a change as I had thought there might be. But I'm still digging mine, and they shined at NAMM.

bermuda
Old 03-02-2016, 07:54 AM

Just stopped by the GC in Hallendale Florida, today. They have two of these kits on clearance, blue and teak, gigabeat, around $500 each. Tempting... but I have no room! No room!
Old 03-02-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Actually, Ludwig did just that and offers it as a Classic Maple Exotic finish. And, it looks great! (the picture doesn't really do it justice)

https://www.facebook.com/ludwig.drum...type=3&theater
Old 03-02-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Actually, Ludwig did just that and offers it as a Classic Maple Exotic finish. And, it looks great! (the picture doesn't really do it justice)

https://www.facebook.com/ludwig.drum...type=3&theater
Hi Bermuda,

Yes, I saw them at the NAMM Ludwig display in January and they looked terrific! I'm glad they took my suggestion! :-)

Barry
Old 03-02-2016, 04:42 PM

I was convinced the USA maple shells with lightweight hardware was going to take off and I've had the macassar ebony kit since 2014 and have been very happy with it. They sound great and have been very durable. The con was the lack of being able to use atlas mounts on the bass drum without drilling given the unique lug layout. And I prefer the smooth finish compared to the glossy, but i think that puts me in the minority!
Old 03-02-2016, 11:09 PM
Gold Member

I'm still totally in love with mine. See here: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...&postcount=583

I do have plans. I want to install a rail mount and cymbal arm on the kick to lighten the hardware load.

Kind of leery about that, though, because the kick shell is so thin.

Mr Schwartz, you said you put tom mounts on yours. Am I worrying too much?

Bob Davis

www.reconstructinghistory.com
Old 03-03-2016, 05:39 AM

No prob with mounts.

It's a 6-ply maple shell, strong as most others.

Bermuda
Old 03-03-2016, 03:52 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
No prob with mounts.

It's a 6-ply maple shell, strong as most others.

Bermuda
Agreed. I put a double tom mount on mine as well. Works great.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:00 PM
Gold Member

Thanks!

The Signet kick is just so light feeling compared to my 18x22 Mapex Meridian Maple that I get a queasy feeling drilling into it for mounting a tom and 21" ride cymbal.

But now I shall approach the project without fear.

...and the full knowledge that I can blame THE REAL BERMUDA SCHWARTZ on the Internet if anything goes wrong!

:-P

Bob Davis

Old 03-03-2016, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STXBob View Post
Thanks!

The Signet kick is just so light feeling compared to my 18x22 Mapex Meridian Maple that I get a queasy feeling drilling into it for mounting a tom and 21" ride cymbal. But now I shall approach the project without fear.
If you have some concern about it, put larger washers in the inside of the shell. Or put some sort of metal plate in the inside.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:19 PM

The lightness is due to the slimmer hardware design. It's not a huge difference, but it's especially noticeable on the kick.

Bermuda
Old 03-03-2016, 05:38 PM
Gold Member

Thanks, gentlemen. You reassure me almost to complacency. :-D

Bob Davis

Old 03-29-2016, 08:21 AM

I use my Signet (20in bass drum/indian teak) for almost 2 years now, and I'm very happy with it. Great sound, lightweight and a it's a Ludwig made in USA. Just like Bermuda did, I instaled a tom mount on the bass drum right away, and put a Kelly Schu mic mount inside of it. I have 2 to 4 gigs a week, and I keep them in Protection Racket bags, and they are just as new. No problems at all at this point. Very happy with it on the road, and I keep my Classic Maples that are heavier and expensive, always set up and safe at home for practice.

I have some questions: It was discontinued? It looks like so. I remember another set Ludwig ofered for a brief period, with mod orange finish. I think it was called Element SE. Almost bought that.

Another question is where can I buy separate toms. . Anyone knows where to find it? I want a 10" tom. (It would be perfect a 13" tom too, but I think it's not avaiable)

Thank you all for the invaluable information I always get here.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:17 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRC View Post
I have some questions: It was discontinued? It looks like so.
Signet are still listed on the Ludwig web site and available from dealers. Also, others have noted in other threads that they are not discontinued.

Quote:
Another question is where can I buy separate toms. . Anyone knows where to find it?
Ask your local Ludwig dealer. They can order for you.

Bob Davis

Old 03-29-2016, 04:25 PM
Administrator - Mayor

They are still listed on the Musiciansfriend
Old 08-11-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
The spurs are the same for both 20 & 22" drums, but are mounted in slightly different places on the shell so that the height in front stays about the same on each drum.

But the spur adjustment - or perhaps the ability to mount it at a choice of heights on thne shell - would be all that I would change about the Signets. I suppose I could just drill some new holes a little higher, so the drum would sit a little lower... I've already rendered them unoriginal by installing a tom mount plate on each!

Bermuda
Hello Bermuda,
Just wondering if the Atlas Anchor unit would fit the existing hole clearance (instead of drilling any new holes...).

Also, I can't find any trace of the Signet serie on the new Ludwig website.
Is the serie still produced ?

cheers
Old 08-11-2016, 08:58 PM

The Signets have been discontinued, but there's still product in Monroe, so stores can still get kits and add-on drums for the immediate future.

Not sure if the Atlas mount will fit the existing holes, or if those holes are at the correct height on the shell to allow the Atlas legs to reach the floor (I'm away from Signets for several more weeks.) But it's an interesting solution!

I had originally imagined that I'd drill a 2nd set of holes, just high enough above the existing holes to allow the mounts to still cover the old holes, to help lower the drum a little. But now that the drums are truly a limited edition, and a bit if a curiosity like the old Educator and Combo series, they will be more valuable as-is.

Bermuda
Old 08-11-2016, 10:25 PM
Pioneer Member

I just checked (I have Signets and an Atlas mount lying around), won't fit as the existing holes are a bit too far apart. Also, I doubt the Atlas legs would reach from those holes.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
The Signets have been discontinued, but there's still product in Monroe, so stores can still get kits and add-on drums for the immediate future.

Not sure if the Atlas mount will fit the existing holes, or if those holes are at the correct height on the shell to allow the Atlas legs to reach the floor (I'm away from Signets for several more weeks.) But it's an interesting solution!

I had originally imagined that I'd drill a 2nd set of holes, just high enough above the existing holes to allow the mounts to still cover the old holes, to help lower the drum a little. But now that the drums are truly a limited edition, and a bit if a curiosity like the old Educator and Combo series, they will be more valuable as-is.

Bermuda

Thanks a lot for the quick reply Bermuda.
A bit saddened the serie didn't get the expected success (assuming this is the reason why Ludwig stopped producing the serie).

I had the chance to approach a kit lately (when Uli Salazar came to Bangkok for the Ludwig Road Show). I then discovered a very interesting instrument with basically all the features I sort of always wanted. Sober look, no wrap, light weight hardware, thin shell, US made, from a renown band, sounding great and affordable...
Guessing it's actually not too late to get one !
Old 08-12-2016, 08:40 AM

I still dig mine, and love that they're lightweight! I guess the drum-buying public didn't like the DIY aspect of them. Too bad they didn't bother to actually listen to the drums.

Bermuda
Old 08-12-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I still dig mine, and love that they're lightweight! I guess the drum-buying public didn't like the DIY aspect of them. Too bad they didn't bother to actually listen to the drums.

Bermuda
Right on.
I've always been interested by the serie but truly didn't have the chance to play/hear it before few weeks ago and I was honestly stunned.
And the invest to get all the shell sizes (10, 12, 14, 16, 20, 22) is actually quite in reachable range for some US made shells... hmmm... Guessing I'm gonna visit my favorite Luddy retailer soon...
Old 08-12-2016, 09:19 AM
Hollywood Jim
This message has been deleted by Hollywood Jim. Reason: repeat
Old 11-12-2016, 12:10 AM

Hey I'm new here, and I apologize in advance since this is an old thread.

I had a alpine blue set of these drums: 20" 12" 14" that I loved.

Unfortunately my car got broken into on tour, and the jerk stole ONLY the bass drum! :(
So now I have 2 amazing sounding orphan toms and don't know what to do with them.

Does anybody know where a 20" signet bass drum could be ordered individually?

Its probably a long shot since I know Ludwig discontinued them....
Old 11-12-2016, 12:16 AM

Ludwig should have some stock on those, check with your local dealer.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Ludwig should have some stock on those, check with your local dealer.
According to Dale's Drum Shop - who called for me looking to see if they could get a 20" kick hoop in Ebony as mine cracked - there's bugger all for Signets at Ludwig. They could make me one, but it'd take 6 or more weeks and be like $85 just for the hoop.

But who knows? You might get lucky. There's also eBay, but I've been looking for orphan Signet drums there pretty regularly and coming up dry.

Good luck, curtrane!

Bob Davis

Old 10-18-2018, 07:56 PM

Resurrecting this old thread again. Still Loving my Signet's in 2018 they have been to gigs and played daily with no wear.

However I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get a 16x16 in Indian teak? I have looked everywhere, called Ludwig, and went to local dealers. I would even be willing to trade my 14x14 for one.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerjims View Post
Resurrecting this old thread again. Still Loving my Signet's in 2018 they have been to gigs and played daily with no wear.

However I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get a 16x16 in Indian teak? I have looked everywhere, called Ludwig, and went to local dealers. I would even be willing to trade my 14x14 for one.
Good to hear. I think at this point and after much debate of the lug design, it's safe to say they've held up to the test of time. I've had a signet since release and it's still flawless. Try emailing Chris at chris@drumsonsale.com and see if he can assist. Let us know how it works as I may look for a 10" down the road!
Old 01-04-2019, 09:46 PM

Earlier in this thread, I said something about letting you know in 5 years if concerns about the Signets (such as lug holes being pulled out of round...) were legitimate. Well, it's 5 years ago this month that I got two Signet kits, and there have been no issues of any kind. The drums continue to sound and look great!

You will also recall that I lamented the kick legs' non-adjustability. I eventually addressed that with a simple mod: an extra hole in the leg, which allows to kick to sit lower by 1.25". That may not seem like much, but you can see in the photos just how dramatic the difference is.

Bermuda
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2019, 11:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Earlier in this thread, I said something about letting you know in 5 years if concerns about the Signets (such as lug holes being pulled out of round...) were legitimate. Well, it's 5 years ago this month that I got two Signet kits, and there have been no issues of any kind. The drums continue to sound and look great!

You will also recall that I lamented the kick legs' non-adjustability. I eventually addressed that with a simple mod: an extra hole in the leg, which allows to kick to sit lower by 1.25". That may not seem like much, but you can see in the photos just how dramatic the difference is.

Bermuda
Man, that seems like a pretty severe angle to be the only option. I wonder why they'd go so high with it.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutaway79 View Post
Man, that seems like a pretty severe angle to be the only option. I wonder why they'd go so high with it.
They must not have run it by anybody who plays drums. :O
Old 01-05-2019, 12:46 AM
Platinum Member

Without the second hole, it looks like it was made to be used with a riser.

With the second hole, it looks like it would sit level when you hook up a pedal.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

You fixed the legs and added a tom mount. I bet that's a great, light-weight in-town gigging kit.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Without the second hole, it looks like it was made to be used with a riser.

With the second hole, it looks like it would sit level when you hook up a pedal.
A 20" kick and wouldn't normally need a riser. A 22" definitely wouldn't. No, it was a poor decision on the placement of the leg holder.

The drum does sit almost level with the pedal attached, with the front hoop still off the ground almost an inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedaclutch View Post
You fixed the legs and added a tom mount. I bet that's a great, light-weight in-town gigging kit.
It's great! The low mass lugs make a noticeable difference.

Bermuda
Old 01-05-2019, 05:48 AM
"Uncle Larry"

That before and after pic is insane Jon. I just don't get how a company with over a century of experience look at that and say...yea that looks good to me.

I. Just. Do. Not. Get. It.

I'm all for doing mods, I've made some absolutely sacrilegious mods.

Jon, is it possible to drill an even lower set of holes on those legs?
Old 01-05-2019, 03:16 PM

Can you describe how you went about drilling the second hole? There doesn't seem to be much room for error so it's critical to get it right on the first attempt.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Jon, is it possible to drill an even lower set of holes on those legs?
Possible, assuming you want the drum to lay completely level (with the pedal attached.) You could take off another .75" or so, but you'd also need to shorten or grind some relief into the top of the leg, so it can clear the shell when the leg is moved up to use a lower hole. Right now, the top just kisses the shell (see photo.)

But it's not really necessary. At 1.25" lower, the angle is sufficiently normal/traditional.

Bermuda
Attached Images