DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-21-2019, 10:59 AM
lorettes lorettes is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 3
Default London Music School

I am currently doing some research for full time drum courses that are 3-6 months in duration in the UK.

I was wondering if anyone has gone to the London Music School? How would you rate it in terms of helping your technical development, and in terms of the skills of the teachers?

http://tlms.co.uk/courses-fees/drums-courses/
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-21-2019, 11:53 AM
mikyok's Avatar
mikyok mikyok is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tipton in the mighty Black Country
Posts: 1,967
Default Re: London Music School

Welcome to DW.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but it is so here goes :)

You aren't going to learn a lot in 3-6 months from a technical stance. I can't think of anything more hellish than being on a music course with nothing but drummers.

We are an instrument that with bass provides a solid rhythmic foundation for other instruments to put the melody over the top, sounds simple but it's not. How are they going to teach you to play for the song or play in a band if there's only drummers on the course. You'll learn more by just playing in bands.

I had a quick look at the lessons on offer. Improv lessons? Is that an oxymoron? Only classical sight readers have trouble improvising and I've never met a drummer that can't improvise off the bat.
__________________
I aint farting on no snare drum
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-21-2019, 12:17 PM
lorettes lorettes is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 3
Default Re: London Music School

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
Welcome to DW.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but it is so here goes :)

You aren't going to learn a lot in 3-6 months from a technical stance. I can't think of anything more hellish than being on a music course with nothing but drummers.

We are an instrument that with bass provides a solid rhythmic foundation for other instruments to put the melody over the top, sounds simple but it's not. How are they going to teach you to play for the song or play in a band if there's only drummers on the course. You'll learn more by just playing in bands.

I had a quick look at the lessons on offer. Improv lessons? Is that an oxymoron? Only classical sight readers have trouble improvising and I've never met a drummer that can't improvise off the bat.

Hmm sorry I disagree. I did a 3 week intensive at the Drummers Collective in NYC and I've definitely seen improvement and learnt loads in the 3 weeks that I was there. On top of that, no music course will be just full of drummers, part of the curriculum is playing with other musicians. I'm tossing up between going back to the Collective for a quarter or two or finding something local (I'm living in the UK at the moment).
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-21-2019, 12:50 PM
mikyok's Avatar
mikyok mikyok is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tipton in the mighty Black Country
Posts: 1,967
Default Re: London Music School

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorettes View Post
Hmm sorry I disagree. I did a 3 week intensive at the Drummers Collective in NYC and I've definitely seen improvement and learnt loads in the 3 weeks that I was there. On top of that, no music course will be just full of drummers, part of the curriculum is playing with other musicians. I'm tossing up between going back to the Collective for a quarter or two or finding something local (I'm living in the UK at the moment).
It's your choice dude, good luck to ya.
__________________
I aint farting on no snare drum
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-21-2019, 11:10 PM
oldskoolsoul's Avatar
oldskoolsoul oldskoolsoul is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 654
Default Re: London Music School

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorettes View Post
..Hmm sorry I disagree. I did a 3 week intensive at the Drummers Collective in NYC and I've definitely seen improvement and learnt loads in the 3 weeks that I was there..

That was also the first thing that i thought..

Just playing in a band to be able to say that you play in a band brings nothing..Playing 150 wedding gigs a year brings nothing to your technical skills or creativity..Thats at least my experience..

If you have the chance again to study 3-6 months at The Collective, take that chance..!

If you are a serious student, which you most likely are otherwise you would not pay such amounts, then being busy 5 days a week with only drumming (and the ensemble lessons, etc) and having lessons from some of the best teachers in the world during 3-6 months will bring a lot to your technical and musical skills..Like, really a lot..

Berklee also offers a 12 week program btw, starting a few months from now, and also about that i only heard positive stories..

The only bad part is the price, since they are not very cheap..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-22-2019, 10:05 AM
Durbs Durbs is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 129
Default Re: London Music School

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
Welcome to DW.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but it is so here goes :)

You aren't going to learn a lot in 3-6 months from a technical stance. I can't think of anything more hellish than being on a music course with nothing but drummers.

We are an instrument that with bass provides a solid rhythmic foundation for other instruments to put the melody over the top, sounds simple but it's not. How are they going to teach you to play for the song or play in a band if there's only drummers on the course. You'll learn more by just playing in bands.
Musical snobbery at its finest ;)

You could learn a huge amount of technical information in 3-6 months. You might not perfect it, but you could be loaded with enough information for you to develop for years to come.
Otherwise, what would be the point of people doing 1-day workshops?
They could be teaching different genres, styles, techniques, production, tuning - everything that makes a complete drummer.

Also, you're assuming it's only drummers, yet it's London Music School. When I was at music college, they often bought in other instruments from other courses to work with, including live performance, so you also gained that experience too.

You can still play in band outside of music school.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-22-2019, 02:45 PM
jimzo jimzo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 206
Default Re: London Music School

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
Welcome to DW.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but it is so here goes :)

You aren't going to learn a lot in 3-6 months from a technical stance. I can't think of anything more hellish than being on a music course with nothing but drummers.

We are an instrument that with bass provides a solid rhythmic foundation for other instruments to put the melody over the top, sounds simple but it's not. How are they going to teach you to play for the song or play in a band if there's only drummers on the course. You'll learn more by just playing in bands.

I had a quick look at the lessons on offer. Improv lessons? Is that an oxymoron? Only classical sight readers have trouble improvising and I've never met a drummer that can't improvise off the bat.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:04 PM
mikyok
This message has been deleted by mikyok.
  #8  
Old 01-22-2019, 03:15 PM
Purple Cobwebs's Avatar
Purple Cobwebs Purple Cobwebs is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 75
Default Re: London Music School

Re
"I can't think of anything more hellish than being on a music course with nothing but drummers."
I did the 5 day residential Freddie Gee Drum Academy last summer. It was fantastic to be with drummers the whole week and indulge in my love of drums without boring the pants off my non drummer friends!
I picked up a lot of tips, both from the lessons, and from chats in the bar with other drummers. Just talking about other peoples experiences, strengths and weaknesses was really useful to me.

I have weekly lessons which really push me forward (passed grade 7 at the end of last year and I'm currently working hard on learning songs without reading them) I have weekly band rehearsals, and occasional gigs (trying to get more this year!) which push me in a different way.

The hardest thing I found about being on a course full of drummers, was the fear of playing in front of other drummers! But it's getting through those fears that help me push forward. I've a long way to go still, but I'm loving it.

Improvisation is still a tricky area for me, and I know that it's all down to confidence. My teacher is working with me to improve this area.

We are all different! What comes easy to some is difficult for others, and vice versa!

I'd say that if you get the chance to do an intensive course, go for it! What is 3 months out of your life? Don't live to regret passing it up!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-22-2019, 09:59 PM
lorettes lorettes is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 3
Default Re: London Music School

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolsoul View Post
That was also the first thing that i thought..

Just playing in a band to be able to say that you play in a band brings nothing..Playing 150 wedding gigs a year brings nothing to your technical skills or creativity..Thats at least my experience..

If you have the chance again to study 3-6 months at The Collective, take that chance..!

If you are a serious student, which you most likely are otherwise you would not pay such amounts, then being busy 5 days a week with only drumming (and the ensemble lessons, etc) and having lessons from some of the best teachers in the world during 3-6 months will bring a lot to your technical and musical skills..Like, really a lot..

Berklee also offers a 12 week program btw, starting a few months from now, and also about that i only heard positive stories..

The only bad part is the price, since they are not very cheap..

Thanks dude! That's my thought as well. Money I've saved up for from having a desk job for 8 years! Finally putting it to good use.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-22-2019, 10:59 PM
Michaelj Michaelj is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 48
Default Re: London Music School

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
You aren't going to learn a lot in 3-6 months from a technical stance.
This is a strange argument. I think it's obvious that you could learn a LOT from a technical standpoint in 3-6 months, and be left with a lot of ideas and inspiration to take back to your practice afterwards. People buy Jojo Mayer's DVD, which is a few hours, but nobody is saying 'How ridiculous, you don't improve your technique in 3 hours!' No, but you get ideas you can continue working on after the DVD finishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
I had a quick look at the lessons on offer. Improv lessons? Is that an oxymoron? Only classical sight readers have trouble improvising and I've never met a drummer that can't improvise off the bat.
Re improv, I don't know what they teach in that course, but the idea doesn't sound ridiculous to me. The whole purpose of practising is so that on the gig we can execute things seamlessly. The same applies to improv - I think it's a great idea to be given phrases and ideas you can work on so that when you're on the gig and have a solo, for example, you don't freeze up or go blank. It's not exactly 'learning how to improvise', it's building up an arsenal which you can draw on when you need it.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-23-2019, 12:23 PM
mikyok's Avatar
mikyok mikyok is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tipton in the mighty Black Country
Posts: 1,967
Default Re: London Music School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelj View Post
This is a strange argument. I think it's obvious that you could learn a LOT from a technical standpoint in 3-6 months.

Re improv, I don't know what they teach in that course, but the idea doesn't sound ridiculous to me. The whole purpose of practising is so that on the gig we can execute things seamlessly. The same applies to improv - I think it's a great idea to be given phrases and ideas you can work on so that when you're on the gig and have a solo, for example, you don't freeze up or go blank. It's not exactly 'learning how to improvise', it's building up an arsenal which you can draw on when you need it.
I just think 3-6 months is information overload, I don't want the OP to waste their money on something that's over before it has started but as I've already said it's their choice. I'd rather do a couple of years on something, much better for getting to know other players and building friendships. But hey my opinion seems to have ruffled some feathers :)

Remember these places are businesses so beware of clever marketing and make sure you're gonna get out what you put in. I've seen both sides of the coin. Uni was amazing for me. It was sheer luck that the drum teacher I had for the last 2 years was and still is the best moeller teacher in the country. On the flip side I know folks who have gone to uni and just haven't clicked which leads me to imrov.

We used to have an improv assignment which was a chart for people to follow and then you'd work it out in 15 minutes where each instrument would do the improvised solo. They would be thrown at you out of the blue so you got used to thinking on your feet. Bassist and Axeman from my band went to the same uni a few years later and they gave them 6 weeks to do the same thing. That's not improvisation, that's a rehearsed solo. They'd done their college course with jazz guys who were better than the uni lecturers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Cobwebs.
The hardest thing I found about being on a course full of drummers, was the fear of playing in front of other drummers! But it's getting through those fears that help me push forward. I've a long way to go still, but I'm loving it.

Improvisation is still a tricky area for me, and I know that it's all down to confidence. My teacher is working with me to improve this area.
You're the polar opposite when it comes to learning things, I do improvisation well but my reading is crap. The getting nervous playing in front of other drummers never goes away (especially ones that have taught you and know your weaknesses :), see why I'd rather not be on a course full of em!)

Congrats on grade 7!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolsoul.
Playing 150 wedding gigs a year brings nothing to your technical skills or creativity..Thats at least my experience...
Whilst it may not massage your ego, 150 wedding gigs a year would give you a big fat wallet full of cash for hitting things on autopilot. I've known plenty of skint 'arteests' still living with their parents.

Can't think of many working musicians that would turn that kind of work down unless they are on mega bucks.
__________________
I aint farting on no snare drum
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-23-2019, 09:30 PM
oldskoolsoul's Avatar
oldskoolsoul oldskoolsoul is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 654
Default Re: London Music School

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
..150 wedding gigs a year would give you a big fat wallet full of cash for hitting things on autopilot..

Thats exactly the reason why i said that playing in such a band will bring nothing to someone's technical, musical or creative skills..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-24-2019, 04:33 AM
Alex Sanguinetti's Avatar
Alex Sanguinetti Alex Sanguinetti is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Valencia, Spain (Espaņa)
Posts: 537
Default Re: London Music School

Check out the playing of the drummers at the school (looking for videos in Youtube) and also other drummers offering lessons private or at institutions (always watching there playing).

I would not concentrate IN A COURSE or disregard it, just try to get the best player who is ALSO the best teacher, and then you see how long you are going to stay...

Donīt pick ANYONE thatīs not an outstanding player, donīt pick anyone you donīt find videos or see playing live.


Best! (Check out my page, please)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com