So I got a 28 inch BD.. Now for the heads..

phonorat

I have a 28"x14" 1972 Ludwig BD and I am trying to decide on heads.

The first thing in mind, (of course) is the Bonham equation. Everyone can probably recite this in their sleep but, Emperor on the batter side, Amb on the reso side.

But I have run into a problem... I saw one of my same type of kick drums with the Fiberskyn 3's on the reso side... It looks just awesome obviously. I am not sure how much different that can make the drum sound from the regular Amb coated. I hear it has a lot deeper, darker tone to it which could be a good thing for this type of drum. The drum with the original heads on it now still have a good amount of ring to them which i don't want.

Can someone enlighten me on this?

I have a 28"x14"

The first thing in mind, (of course) is the Bonham equation. Everyone can probably recite this in their sleep but, Emperor on the batter side, Amb on the reso side.
Don't forget felt strips.​
The Fiberskyn will be thicker and more muted.
I was running my Luddie 26 with a PS3 batter, and a Fiberskyn reso. No need for felt. Fiberskyn is a good alternative. Reso, it tames the "boom" a tad. If you want a slightly less open sound (like what the Emperor/Ambassador combo gives), you might wanna try the Fiberskyn.​

Don't forget felt strips.​
I was running my Luddie 26 with a PS3 batter, and a Fiberskyn reso. No need for felt. Fiberskyn is a good alternative. Reso, it tames the "boom" a tad. If you want a slightly less open sound (like what the Emperor/Ambassador combo gives), you might wanna try the Fiberskyn.​

so youre saying leave it wide open unless it calls for a strip?

so youre saying leave it wide open unless it calls for a strip?
Sure. Or at least start there. Your taste dictates how you muffle the head. Your mention of the Bonham equation ..... well, Bonham used felt. Emperor/Amdassador combo. They didn't have P3 heads, back then. Heck, the Pinstripe head didn't come out, until '74 (according to the info. I've read.​
The P3 head has a built on richie ring. So ..... when I seat a P3 batter, I don't use felt. But it it rings too much for you, then felt it. My Yamaha 28x14 had two small blocks of foam attached inside the shell (former marching drum). They just barely made head contact. That was a wonderful drum, with Ambassadors batter and reso.​

Good advice here already but I'd personally go with a black dot on the batter side and a white coated ambassador on the front (or clear, depending on what you want). Before you even use a felt strip, try tuning it down. Generally I find on the big drums, if tuned down, the ring is so low when the whole band starts playing that you can't hear it. Heck, even if tuned up with the band at full volume, you won't hear the ring, either.

Do you just like the look of the FIberskin? My favorite kick is a 24x14. I too like that big open boomy sound. I use a coated PS3 on the batter wide open and an Aquarian Modern VIntage on the reso with about a 2" felt strip for muffling. Sounds just wonderful.

Looks like it comes in a 28" also.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarian-Drumheads-MOTC-M28-Vintage-28-inch/dp/B0042X9PP2

I also have a friend that loves 28" kicks, he'll probably comment in this thread eventually. He is a big fan of the Aquarian Superkick II. When I played with a pipe band the bass drum was a 28" with SK2s on both heads. Sounded huuuge. I got to play it once and the low end out of that thing was really something.

IIRC, the Superkick only comes in a single ply for coated options. That'd be the SK3.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarian-Drum...qid=1385172808&sr=1-1&keywords=superkick+3+28

Back