Good covers for this type of band?

CCdrummer

Hello

A group of young dudes where I work have asked me to sit in as drummer for their school project band they are forming, due to the lack of availability of someone of a more appropriate age.

I would like to work towards them being able to pull off somewhere around a ten song set. The lead guitar player and singer is quite talented. When he was in grade 8 I saw him pull off the lead guitar and vocals to "born to be wild" , that would have outdone a lot of bar cover band players I have seen over the years. The rhythm guitar player and bass player I would classify more in the beginner range, as to myself, well, I think I can at least stay ahead of the latter two guys.

Any suggestions for songs that would work? I am thinking the less complex the better, and ones with fewer to harmonies would also probably be a good idea. I have a few in mind, but I would like to get some other input, most likely some gems out there. that I haven't considered. I think that they would prefer more of the 70's and 80's classic rock genre.

At the very least, its going to be fun, but I would also like to see them do something that people other than their parents would think sounds good!

Thanks!

Some hoary old standards ...

School's Out - Alice Cooper

All Along the Watchtower - Jimi

Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood - Animals

The Thrill is Gone - BB King

Roadhouse Blues - Doors

Can't Get Enough - Bad Company

Alright Now - Free

The Joker - Steve Miller Band

Honky Tonk Women - The Stones

Brown Sugar - The Stones

Enter Sandman - Metallica

Alive - Pearl Jam

Creep - Radiohead

Black Night - Deep Purple

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

My Generation - The Who

Cocaine - JJ Cale

Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple

Ain't too Proud to Beg - Stones

You Really Got Me - the Kinks

All the Day and All of the Night - Kinks

House of the Rising Sun - Animals

I've played most of these tunes before and most have simple chord changes and basslines. Not many changes and stops either.

Hmmmm... maybe some 3 chord Petty, The Knack and throw some other stuff that is quick and dirty. Baby if you Wanna Be My Lover.... some Cake... .

Play anything Zappa would abhor or caricature ... (and I like Zappa).

Keep it lite and bumpin' and stay away from Minor keys... this young band don't understand that it's really about makin' the girls happy. When the girls are happy the guys are happy and everybody has a good time. During and After the gig... wink, wink, nod nod... get it?

If you start laying out some Nirvanna or other heavy junk you're gonna bring everybody down and...

Depeche Mode's Just Can't Enough is simple enough to transfer from the synth to "real" instruments, and is quite a lot of fun to twist in a cover. A band I was in did that with a Social Distortion edge and it went over like gangbusters every time we played it.

Is there a keyboard player? Then don't forget The Cure. Just Like Heaven can be done without keys in a pinch, and is a real up-tempo crowd pleaser.

The Smiths have a lot of stuff that features a talented lead guitarist. How Soon Is Now is a standard, provided your lead has effects pedals and knows how to use them. ;-)

As a matter of fact, I insist y'all hire a keys player so you can resist the 70s American stuff and focus on early-80s New Wave. :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuuObGsB0No

Most of the stuff by Creedence Clearwater revival.

They did some great (easy) songs.

Actually, now that I think about it, it would be best to ask them to name some songs that they like.

Popular music is very age specific.

It is much easier to learn to play, and to groove along with, a song that you like.

I agree that songs you like are a lot easier to learn than songs you don't, I just don't want them to get too ambitious with their choices!

Back