Push Kick Drum Forward to Lower Toms

bdallof

I'm a short guy who has been playing drums for a long time. I would like to lower my toms but the kick drum is in the way. The only way that I can see to accomplish this is to push my kick forward and get some sort of extension on the kick pedal. Does such a pedal exist? Or, any other ideas? Thanks.

Just get a smaller kick, shorter high tom or raise up your seat and sit higher.

What you're getting at isn't going to be worth it. Could maybe be accomplished with a double pedal slave but you're going to have some lag from the extra length, just as double pedal slave units usually do.

You could also simply off-set your high tom to the side of the kick and put it as low as you want... Think like the snare basket tom setup.

I'm a short guy who has been playing drums for a long time. I would like to lower my toms but the kick drum is in the way. The only way that I can see to accomplish this is to push my kick forward and get some sort of extension on the kick pedal. Does such a pedal exist? Or, any other ideas? Thanks.

Why change now? You said you've been playing for a long time, but alas... time too is subjective.

You could impose yourself, set up like Bill Bruford.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csexneGuMUg

Yeah - off set toms or higher throne height are much less hassle to achieve the same thing.

Buy a kit that has a shallow rack tom and a 20" kick (or smaller).

My Ludwig Centennials have a shallow rack tom and a 20" kick. If I wanted, I could get the tom the same level as my snare.

77023EB1-6C50-4F38-9096-F06D931FF98B_zpsvqnkojmv.jpg

If you are really concerned with it, maybe have your rack tom sent to somewhere like Precision and have it cut down. I've heard they do great work.

Sometimes a picture can really help us give you better advice. But I'm 5'5" and have never had issues with a 1-up or 2-up setup that I couldn't overcome with some careful positioning.

You could try this. I'm quite tall so I've never really felt the need but it's a pretty smart way of setting up which could work for you! It's certainly a pretty direct solution to your problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYR0_Txq1x0

This. No kidding. Many years ago when I still worked in a music store, I set up a demo kit like the one Abe is playing in the video, but with three upper toms. Drummers were amazed that the toms could be placed so low. It's really solid.

(Poor Abe looks like he's playing in pain in that video. Gotta go?)

GeeDeeEmm

Buy a kit that has a shallow rack tom and a 20" kick (or smaller).

My Ludwig Centennials have a shallow rack tom and a 20" kick. If I wanted, I could get the tom the same level as my snare.

This is all relative to throne height, how high one sits. The person 5' tall sitting high on the throne has more options than a person 6' 3" tall sitting way low.

I'm 5'6" and I went from a 80s power tom kit to a 2007 shallow tom kit with a 20" kick. I really liked the way I could get the rack toms lower. I played that power tom kit from 88 till 2009. After I had played the new kit for a while I couldn't believe that I played the power tom kit comfortably. They arn't comfortable at all now (I still use it for rehearsals). So it may be just what we are used to playing on. I've since sold my kit with the20" kick and have a 22" with shallow toms and I'm getting along fine with it. I can sympathize with you though. Some times I would like to get another 20" kick.

Thanks for all the suggestions. My main problem is my deeper than normal (rack mounted) Yamaha toms. They are maple and I love their tone. I know getting standard sizes would solve my problem. I already downsized to an 18" kick several years ago. Trying to avoid the expense of purchasing toms, I will try some of your suggestions when I get back to the studio (where my drums are). Thanks again.

. Trying to avoid the expense of purchasing toms, I will try some of your suggestions when I get back to the studio (where my drums are). Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

I hear you man. Money was the reason I played my PTC kit for so long, (20 yr). I borrowed $1,600 in 88 for that kit. Since then my four kids have grow up and moved out and I felt it was definitely time to buy again. So in 2009 I bought my 8pc Yamaha kit for 3K. I also looked into cutting down my 2 rack toms on the PTC kit a couple of yr. ago which was only a couple of hundred dollars. I decided to leave it be. Power toms could come back you know, lol.

Back