Story about instrument 'duels' on NPR

Average

I caught an interesting story on NPR about olden times. At one time people would have 'piano battles'. Listen to the story at about 4:30. Bach was challenged to a duel. The guy who challenged him heard Bach practicing and fled town. Beethoven played a duel with someone and the person never again returned to Vienna.

Would such a thing happen today?

In a strictly entertainment sense, of course. A classic example was the Rich vs. Roach album. Also I think there was a Rich vs. Krupa album. And on the old Tonight Show, Ed Shaughnessy and Rich would trade solos. Hmmm, I'm beginning to see a pattern here...

Basically, anytime two guitarists trade solos, it's a type of 'battle'.

Bermuda

In a strictly entertainment sense, of course. A classic example was the Rich vs. Roach album. Also I think there was a Rich vs. Krupa album. And on the old Tonight Show, Ed Shaughnessy and Rich would trade solos. Hmmm, I'm beginning to see a pattern here...

Basically, anytime two guitarists trade solos, it's a type of 'battle'.

Bermuda

I've seen those Rich/Krupa Rich/Roach and Rich/Shaughnessy things on youtube. They were pretty entertaining. Weren't those all done 30 years or so ago? A lot has happened in the last 30 years culturally speaking. The zeitgeist has changed and massively so. Taking drums out of it for a second, would an actual duel between two musicians like in the NPR story happen today?

It used to be called "Cuttin" don't know about today but most guys have sensitive egos so the thought of getting "shredded" isn't appealing today. Back in the Krupa days it was done alot and the "King of Drums" back then wasn't Krupa it was a little guy named Chick Webb who was the best drummer in the land and also was the leader of the hottest band in the land. Back then they put aside their egos and would do the Cut out of appreciation for each other and ofcourse for the fans that followed their favorite musicians around. Doc

Back