What is the use of double braced hardware?

Hard to blame anyone for having double braced hardware. It's a challenge finding sissy single braced girly stuff in shops chockas with sleek, muscular hardware designed to handle anything Aaron Spears and his ilk dishes out.

It's much easier to blame people for owning SUVs ...

Hard to blame anyone for having double braced hardware. It's a challenge finding sissy single braced girly stuff in shops chockas with sleek, muscular hardware designed to handle anything Aaron Spears and his ilk dishes out.

It's much easier to blame people for owning SUVs ...

I have owned Ford SUV's before and the only reason was because they had those dangerous Firestone tires on them and the excitement that one could blow at any minute and cause a serious rollover was just too cool. Live on the edge. yeah.....

I once knocked over a crappy single braced stand at a rock gig, on the song Everlong (So much crash!)
Thank god it was the last note. It actually pretty awesome, hitting that last note and the cymbal stand falling over, even though it was accidental. It almost hit our guitar player though, LOL.

I don't have time to go to the gym work weights sessions anymore. So lugging around heavy double braced stands keeps my arms in shape. Now if there were a drumming related way to get my long-faded abs back...

Seriously though, my current kit came with double braced stands. But a kit I played in the 80s had all single braced stands and I used to mount a tom and at least one cymbal on each. These stands did the job quite fine for more than 10 years of active gigging.

I use primarily gibraltar double braced stands, im 6'2" and play with everything really high up (i even set my throne so my heels just barely can touch the ground). I find the hardware is not that heavy (i can carry it all no problem or complaints, even mostly assembled) and the single braced hardware i tried always wanted to topple with the way i had my cymbals set up.

Though, i am going through a bit of a small light cymbal phase, and will just use stands that clamp to my other ones to save time and space on that aspect of things. Also, does anyone know of a snare stand that goes better with a double pedal setup? Im also wondering about stability of a 2 legged hi hat stand, as that would solve some of my crowding issues.

Lawd have mercy, I guess if it doesn't bother you then so be it. It would be entertaining to watch you errect such a monster set.

I my self am allergic to extra baggage, except when it comes to food.

Last edited:
My opinion: Thank freaking God (or whomever actually deserves the credit) for heavy DW hardware.

setupSequence_group2%2032.jpg

Yeah that is a lot of stuff but I like to stick with a 4 piece. If it was good enough for Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, Joe Morrelo, Ringo etc then a four piece will be just fine for me. Have fun setting up that lifesize erector set.

I once knocked over a crappy single braced stand at a rock gig, on the song Everlong (So much crash!)
Thank god it was the last note. It actually pretty awesome, hitting that last note and the cymbal stand falling over, even though it was accidental. It almost hit our guitar player though, LOL.

Yeah there is nothing more cooler than a drummer almost destroying one of their cymbals. Are you kidding me?

I must be getting old, because even though the kit's finish looks great, playing anything this big has no appeal to me anymore....

Your not getting old, you just have a good head on your shoulders. I think big drumsets like that look almost like a begginers set. Some great drummers have tons of stuff but come on, do you really need all of that crap?

The percentage of famous great drummers that use scaled down kits far out number the "cockpit rocketship drumset" drummers. With all of their blinking lights and thingamajiggs lol.

Buddy Rich would shut this space rocket ship down with one snare drum and three minutes of single strokes from west side story :)

If it was good enough for Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, Joe Morrelo, Ringo etc then a four piece will be just fine for me.

You are comparing apples to oranges. Music has changed, drummers have changed. Comparing drummers from the 40's - 60's holds absolutely no water. Buddy had a 5 piece, as did Krupa, two floor toms, and I'm sure if he was playing todays music he would probably have more. I have many photos of Ringo playing a five piece also. Louie Belson from that same era was one of the first with 2 bass drums and two floor toms. He wasn't afraid to evolve. Live on the edge. Add another tom.

Jay Johnson said:
...I like to stick with a 4 piece. If it was good enough for Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, Joe Morrelo, Ringo etc then a four piece will be just fine for me.

If I played their kind of music I'd stick with a 4-piece too. I'm sure there was some guy who grew up in the late 1800's who looked at the evolution of modern trap sets and said something to the effect of "if a cat gut marching snare with skin heads was good enough for *insert name of civil war era marching snare badass* then it is good enough for me." And if that's what you're into, then by all means, have at it.

Jay Johnson said:
Buddy Rich would shut this space rocket ship down with one snare drum and three minutes of single strokes from west side story :)

Well, that's your Buddy Rich fantasy. Mine goes more like:

He would be too busy yelling at me about how I fucked up this or that in my kit design or how I hold my sticks all wrong to even get to the point of playing. But let's assume he overcomes that and does actually play. He would find that my stuff is angled "all wrong," causing him to play some "clams," at which point he would immediately start yelling again for having played said clams. Then John Wayne would show up and they would get into a fist fight, kill each other and immediately come back to life as zombies. They would go on fighting in an endless loop because they grew up in an era devoid of proper zombie lore, each of them not realizing that you have to shut down the brain to kill a zombie. You can also poor salt in their mouths and sew their lips together, but who ever has time and materials for that? Best to stick with a shot gun... or a chain saw... or maybe the ever conveniently placed helicopter blade. The trick with that one is a you need to kite the zombie into the path of the blade. Oh, and you do need to have access to a running helicopter. But if you can pull it off, you'll pretty much be the Buddy Rich of zombie killers.

Ok, seriously. Buddy was great. Perhaps the greatest, and I love his playing too. But let's not start attributing words and actions to corpses so that we can feel better about our personal choices, or more comfortable with how someone else's choices sharply differ from our own.

If I played their kind of music I'd stick with a 4-piece too. I'm sure there was some guy who grew up in the late 1800's who looked at the evolution of modern trap sets and said something to the effect of "if a cat gut marching snare with skin heads was good enough for *insert name of civil war era marching snare badass* then it is good enough for me." And if that's what you're into, then by all means, have at it.

Well, that's your Buddy Rich fantasy. Mine goes more like:

He would be too busy yelling at me about how I fucked up this or that in my kit design or how I hold my sticks all wrong to even get to the point of playing. But let's assume he overcomes that and does actually play. He would find that my stuff is angled "all wrong," causing him to play some "clams," at which point he would immediately start yelling again for having played said clams. Then John Wayne would show up and they would get into a fist fight, kill each other and immediately come back to life as zombies. They would go on fighting in an endless loop because they grew up in an era devoid of proper zombie lore, each of them not realizing that you have to shut down the brain to kill a zombie. You can also poor salt in their mouths and sew their lips together, but who ever has time and materials for that? Best to stick with a shot gun... or a chain saw... or maybe the ever conveniently placed helicopter blade. The trick with that one is a you need to kite the zombie into the path of the blade. Oh, and you do need to have access to a running helicopter. But if you can pull it off, you'll pretty much be the Buddy Rich of zombie killers.

Ok, seriously. Buddy was great. Perhaps the greatest, and I love his playing too. But let's not start attributing words and actions to corpses so that we can feel better about our personal choices, or more comfortable with how someone else's choices sharply differ from our own.

Did not mean any disrespect. I have never seen an amazing drummer and said "oh my god I have to get as much stuff as him to be as good as him". As long as the basics are covered you will sound good.

I see to many kids with two chinas, two snares, TWO BASS DRUMS lugging that crap around and i chuckle because I use to do it too. After these young drummers come out of their garage and start working as a musician everything changes, well usually. I have seen some older guys stuck in the 80s that get to the gig 3 hours early just to unload their rocketship cockpit drumset, personally I don't have enough time in the day to set up a lifesize erector set. I am at the gig and set up between 15 to 25 minutes. I have played death metal, jazz and rock. I never have had anyone come up to me and say you sounded good but what you need to sound better is a bigger kit or "more cowbell"

When I see a drummer the MAIN thing that I am watching is what he is capable of doing technique wise, not how many chinas he/she has or how many rack toms he has etc.

"whoa dude this drummer is amazinggggg he has a 12 piece drum kit whoaaaaa duuuude" lol ridiculous

All of this is in my humble opinion tho :)

Last edited:
Double-braced hardware = piece of mind for over-loaded tripods. All the stuff I have to put in my kit, I simply feel better having more strength, even if it is overkill.

Yes, my kit is a prog-ish kit that is a nightmare to setup. It's awesome.

Now were I gigging, I would use my 5 piece beat-up kit with just a few cymbals. Heck, I would probably go get a new single-kick pedal to use for gigs too.

I think we're at a point where the best way to acquire exactly what we want is by ordering over the internet. :/

lol. so true. especially if you're patient and look around, you can get no tax and free shipping.

*edit* oops. i forgot i was looking through old posts. *edit*

Last edited:
Back