Blackstar

Groov-E

Silver Member
Hey guys,

Just responded on Guiliana's playing in blackstar in another thread, could not find it anywhere, felt it was a bloooooody shame.

Geeeeeez-ussss !

That's a-grooovin.

We get 1-2-3-4 pages on a guy getting an imperialstar over a silver wrapped-mapex forummy crap-a-doodle black stallion snare magical mumbo jumbo, but when a generation-awe-inspiring drummer creates a unique piece, we get sweet nothing.

So here it is. Guiliana's playing on Blackstar is the most inspiring drum part I have heard in the last 15 years. Listen to it, for this drum forum's sake. All of it.

Listen to the thing, have a great evening !

While my approach may be more laid back as to dealing with what post gets traffic and what does not, you're very correct about the drumming on that album. I forget the song, but he rides on the rack tom for maybe 2 measures, and the snare buzz is so wonderful. I've never commented on the beauty of excessive buzz before, but its just perfect and real and live and just awesome! I listened to that record over and over again for quite a while.

Please excuse my obvious lack of knowledge, but do you have a link please?

Andy, sorry for the absence of link.

It's on David Bowie's latest and last album, Blackstar.

Available on spotify and itunes and everything else.

Seriously, check it out, hopefully it will grow on you.

While my approach may be more laid back as to dealing with what post gets traffic and what does not, you're very correct about the drumming on that album. I forget the song, but he rides on the rack tom for maybe 2 measures, and the snare buzz is so wonderful. I've never commented on the beauty of excessive buzz before, but its just perfect and real and live and just awesome! I listened to that record over and over again for quite a while.

Yeah I was in a bad mood for a complete other reason when I originally posted, not sure my message went through. Apologies to the legacy of Mr Bowie and Mark's art.

Thanks Guys :) I had listened to some of the Blackstar tracks, but didn't make the thread connection - stupid Andy!

I do like Mark's work on the album, even though my limited sensibility thinks it borders on "getting in the way" on occasions. It certainly stands out, & is beautifully executed. The PASIC performance clip posted goes straight over my head though. Clever = yes. Enjoyable for me = not so much.

Of the esoteric players emerging, I'm more in the Richard Spaven camp. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaP1BCphbXQ His work is much easier for me to access, & it sits in the musical contexts beautifully. Damn difficult stuff to emulate for a backbeat guy like me, although I have started to include small elements of delayed / implied drag snare work recently.

I read somewhere that Mark was basically emulating a part that David had programmed on the first part of "Blackstar". I really like the album!

The drumming on "Sue" is really nice as well.

A nicely recorded & played album, a few songs are recognizable as Bowie (if you didn't already know.) But I just don't like the album. None of it. I gave everything a cursory listen, and the put it on the shelf. Forever.

I'm a big Bowie fan, just not this album.

Bermuda

Back