The X-factor in drumming

X-factor... that's a personal opinion over an artist, no?

I mean we all appreciate good drummers, we all respect famous drummers, but what makes such or such drummer special to you? Something you cannot describe, it's a mix of what he/she play, the style of music, his or her personality and how you percieve it as a whole.

Have you ever bought an album because a particular drummer plays on it? I did...

Did you ever wanted to know the name of the drummer of the song you've just heard on the radio? I did...

We can certainly agree that a lot of (famous) drummers out there have that X-factor, but ultimately, we decide who's got it and who doesn't, in our eyes (ears).

It's not so much how accomplish a drummer is, how long his/her professional career, how technical he/she can play and so on... it has much more to do with what it does to you when you listen/watch he/her performs.

Exactly correct.
That is why we all like different songs, different music, different art.

I went to see a drummer a few months ago. Everyone said he was great. I did not like the way he played. His movements were jerky. Unnatural.
His playing was not fluid. His groove was OK, but when he played a fill it was very jerky and un-smooth.

Sometimes his fills were a little off tempo, but he came back to the groove that the other musicians were playing. He was lucky he was playing with good musicians.
I was uncomfortable watching him. I kept expecting him to loose the tempo, but he never did.

I think I was the only one in the club that noticed. I guess I was nit picking.

Oh yes, while he was playing he spun the sticks in his fingers every once in a while. It looked pretty cool..........

In addition to make the good points already made, I really think there is a mental edge X-factor. A certain mix of confidence, intensity, and relaxation.

Case in point: Studio work. So many songs have pretty basic beats and fills that most drummers could play, yet only a select group of drummers tend to get those calls to record those parts. They have the confidence in themselves to go in and nail it in just a few takes, they have the intensity to lay it down, yet are relaxed enough to stay cool under pressure .

Don't they call it the x-factor 'cos it's something you can't define?

Personality would be a big one.

Yes, timing, the right attitude, etc are all very important. But I'd rather not be in a band with robot. Yeah, those guys are great for session, they're great for theatre shows etc, and I should imagine great in gigs, because the music is played well (we hope).

But if you don't see that smile, a little flash, a little personality and comfort in being a human player, with an edge of "might go wrong" then I think it spoils the experience.

I saw a band who were very clinical, experts in what they do. But they lacked personality and presence and it ruined the show for Me. I might as well have just listened to the CD...

That's My two pence anyway.

Back