DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-26-2018, 10:34 AM
lrod1707 lrod1707 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 27
Default What do I buy and do?

Hello all,
My post has 2 parts that I need help with. I would love to hear some opinions. I have been away from drumming for 10 years and now I am ready to start playing again. I have been playing for about 35 years. Here are my 2 issues:

1. I just bought a single family house. Drums will be on the second floor. The houses are pretty close to each other. My issue is, I don't want to piss of my new neighbors. Noise inside my house doesn't matter. The issue would just be the neighbors. I don't know if to go the electronic route or acoustic route with some muting. I have always played acoustic so I would feel weird playing electronic. If I go electronic, I have chosen the Roland TD-17. If I go Acoustic, it would be a set with Remo Silent strokes heads and Evans cymbal mutes or low noise cymbals. My question is, would an acoustic set with that setup be quiet enough to not disturb the neighbors?

2. If I go acoustic, what do I buy? I used to play Pearl years ago but have been doing a ton of research and I don't seem to like the sound of the new drums they have. From everything I have heard, Ludwigs seem to sound the best. By the way, I know that with Silent strokes the tone is pretty much gone. But whenever I can, I would play with regular heads. I would choose from these 3 sets: Ludwig Evolution Maple, Pearl Decade Maple or Gretsch Catalina Maple. The Ludwigs sound best to me then the Gretsch and last are the Pearls. But maybe you guys can persuade me one way or another. I heard everything else: Tama, Mapex, Yamaha etc.. Didn't like any of them! Construction of the Ludwigs seems solid as well. I will also be buying all hardware and cymbals (Sabian) etc.. Let me know what you think!
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-26-2018, 11:00 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 13,301
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

Since you've been playing for 35 years already, I'm not gonna recommend what brand of acoustic kit you should buy. You oughta' know by now, I say - and not much has changed in ten years anyway ;)

As for not making your neighbors angry, perhaps you could do a 50/50 acoustic deadening job. I took one of my bedrooms, and installed 4'x4' panels of acoustic foam (I put four of those on the walls, and some on the door). The windows, when I bought the house, had already been replaced with a double-paned window which goes a long way to keeping sounds inside the house.

It will make noise outside, but not as much if you didn't have any of those things. Would that be an option for you? It'll take some DIY-ing on your part, and maybe you already have double-paned windows in the house? If not, maybe it's time to do that anyway as it really helps with the house staying cool or warm in an infrastructure way.

Of course, if you're using silent heads and Zildjian's silent cymbals, those go a long way to keeping the noise down. But if you downsized the kit too - like maybe get a small jazz kit with an 18" bass drum, that also brings your volume down.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-26-2018, 11:33 AM
mikyok's Avatar
mikyok mikyok is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tipton in the mighty Black Country
Posts: 1,671
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

In this case I'd go electric, not worth the hassle of falling out with your neighbours. It's a waste of time having an acoustic kit if you have to use silent heads and silent cymbals.

Alternatively have a look at a lockup somewhere so you can make as much noise as you like and get the best out of an acoustic kit.
__________________
I aint farting on no snare drum
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-26-2018, 02:43 PM
JustJames's Avatar
JustJames JustJames is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 2,978
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

Depending on when and how long and how often you intend practising, you may be able to have acoustic drums and good relations with your neighbours.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-26-2018, 03:11 PM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator - Mayor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 22,174
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

Do what I did. Tell the neighbors you play the drums. Ask them what are some convenient hours or time frame to play where they won't be bothered..much. Work with them, don't try to hide it, as if you could. I do not play before 9 AM nor after 8PM. If they have a special function that they need extra quiet for a time, work with them. My neighbors tell me if they are outside they can hear me, but they have their own TV, music etc., going on that if they are inside they don't hear much. I play with music through headphones so the music source isn't turned up to 11. If you try to play over a stereo source your drums will be crazy loud. They only hear a bit of drums. Don't get into a legal mash about what are the legal times when you can't make noise. Most areas now have nuisance laws that can be enforced at any time of day. People use to say , I can make all of the noise I want up to 11 PM. Wrong. Some areas will stop loud noise at 2 PM. Take the lead and be polite rather that get into a shouting match. If they team up, you lose.
__________________
johnny
Suum cuique tribuere....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-26-2018, 03:34 PM
cbphoto's Avatar
cbphoto cbphoto is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Möbius Strip
Posts: 740
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

An electronic kit will give you the usual sampled sounds in headphones (they rarely sound good in a live setting). An acoustic kit will give you everything you need to make those sounds, plus many more. An electronic kit will hinder your learning a ppp touch, or a fff touch.

Given what’s available for the acoustic drummer, electronic kits cover only a portion of those sounds.

If you go acoustic, pad the room. Mattresses work best. Stand them up on their end and lean ‘em up against the wall. Acoustic blankets reduce high frequencies, but not low. Using grommets & hooks, you can cover the walls with pairs of hanging acoustic blankets. Do whatever it takes to keep your sessions un-interrupted.

If you go acoustic, get a pair of these or these. Your hearing will not get trashed, and you can play along to music without going deaf.

Gear: Tama. Hands down the best hardware in the biz. But you’ve already narrowed your choices.

Cymbals: You have to buy & try. Every brand has their own sonics.

To get back in the groove: Tommy Igoe Groove Essentials v1 & v2.
__________________
~ CB
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-26-2018, 03:55 PM
PorkPieGuy's Avatar
PorkPieGuy PorkPieGuy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,269
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

This going to take some time and sort of be a pain in the behind, but here goes:

I would ask a drummer friend to bring over his kick, snare, hats, and maybe a cymbal. Set this stuff up in your upstairs in the same room where you plan on having your drum set. Have him play and you go outside to hear how loud it actually is outside. Depending on house construction and parameters, this is the only way to see if this is feasible. Maybe temporarily hang up some egg crate mattress pads or packing blankets on the walls and do the same experiment. If it's too loud still, just go for the e-kit.

I'm not a fan of them, but if I had to choose between playing an e-kit and not playing at all, then I would choose the e-kit.

I wouldn't even begin looking at acoustic sets until I tried this first.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-26-2018, 04:16 PM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator - Mayor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 22,174
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

Most of the sound will escaspe through windows so if possible hang heavy, maybe lined curtains that overlap the entire window. Unless you plan on pounding on the drums, normal playing shouldn't be that bad. Good idea though to have someone outside or let them play and you go next door and have a neighbor listen with you.
__________________
johnny
Suum cuique tribuere....
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-26-2018, 05:22 PM
No Way Jose's Avatar
No Way Jose No Way Jose is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Between the hi hat and floor tom
Posts: 822
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

Talk to your neighbors. My neighbors work all day so I can play drums during the day no problem.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-26-2018, 05:23 PM
brentcn brentcn is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,684
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

What's surprising is that you've been playing 35 years, and you're thinking about an electronic kit, which limits the progress of beginners after about 1 year, sometimes as soon as a few months. They're just not adequate for developing a balanced sound, and proper body mechanics, that translate well to an acoustic kit. After 35 years of playing, I'm wondering why you're not more aware of this.

Also, 2nd floor, when houses are close together? Rent a lockout/rehearsal space, or get the drums in the basement.

Use acoustic drums. Put an Aquarian Super pads on your snare and kick (great response with very low volume), and sound off pads on your toms. Wrap the edges of your cymbals with 4-inch wide elastic from the fabric store, like a steering wheel cover. You can remove all this stuff in one minute, if you get a chance to go full volume, and put it back when you need to be quiet. Low volume cymbals will still be louder than cymbals with elastic around them.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-26-2018, 06:23 PM
Winston_Wolf's Avatar
Winston_Wolf Winston_Wolf is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 1,985
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

People think drums are a lot louder outside than they really are. In reality I don't think they end up being all that loud, and what anyone is going to hear inside their own house is even less.

Also, how often and how long do you intend to play? An hour a day while the sun is up is unlikely to upset anyone.

If you are really worried about it, I'd take Bo's and Pork Pie's ideas: Put up some foam on the walls and try to get someone to bring some drums over and play so you can see what it would actually sound like outside.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-26-2018, 11:51 PM
CommanderRoss's Avatar
CommanderRoss CommanderRoss is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 482
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
Do what I did. Tell the neighbors you play the drums. Ask them what are some convenient hours or time frame to play where they won't be bothered..much. Work with them, don't try to hide it, as if you could. I do not play before 9 AM nor after 8PM. If they have a special function that they need extra quiet for a time, work with them.
This is what I did and it's been a great partnership of understanding. Early evening & some weekends of practice are well tolerated.
I do have a set of the Black Hole drum mutes and silent cymbals if I know I'm going to have a long sabbatical so I can pretty much play whenever and they are none the wiser.
But it's rare I get a break like that.

The foam walls are a great idea too if you can pull it off.
__________________
"You're never fired, you're just not asked to do the next thing". -Liberty DeVitto
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-27-2018, 12:13 AM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 20,568
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

First question, buy real drums that make you drool.

Second question, play them. Don't complicate things.

Solve any noise/neighbor problems cheerfully, as they occur.

Find out what your neighbors like to eat or drink and buy them a case each year for allowing you the privilege. Or something personal that they value.

Never underestimate the power of bribery.
__________________
Levis/Hanes/Timberlands/Custom made socks
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-27-2018, 12:43 AM
TheElectricCompany's Avatar
TheElectricCompany TheElectricCompany is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 385
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

Growing up I lived in four different houses with neighbors, and each time we moved in we just knocked on their door and let them know what to expect. It was never an issue. Hopefully your neighbors are fine, too, but don't worry about asking their permission. Just politely tell them your intentions.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-27-2018, 01:32 AM
T.L.'s Avatar
T.L. T.L. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 208
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentcn View Post
What's surprising is that you've been playing 35 years, and you're thinking about an electronic kit, which limits the progress of beginners after about 1 year, sometimes as soon as a few months. They're just not adequate for developing a balanced sound, and proper body mechanics, that translate well to an acoustic kit. After 35 years of playing, I'm wondering why you're not more aware of this.

Also, 2nd floor, when houses are close together? Rent a lockout/rehearsal space, or get the drums in the basement.

Use acoustic drums. Put an Aquarian Super pads on your snare and kick (great response with very low volume), and sound off pads on your toms. Wrap the edges of your cymbals with 4-inch wide elastic from the fabric store, like a steering wheel cover. You can remove all this stuff in one minute, if you get a chance to go full volume, and put it back when you need to be quiet. Low volume cymbals will still be louder than cymbals with elastic around them.
As someone who got an electronic kit after 20 years of playing, I agree with pretty much everything in this post. What I would add is that while there’s no substitute for a real kit, there’s also no substitute for being able to play whenever you. Electronic kits have a place for that reason, just remember to find a way to get on an acoustic kit regularly, too.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-27-2018, 06:34 AM
brentcn brentcn is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,684
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.L. View Post
As someone who got an electronic kit after 20 years of playing, I agree with pretty much everything in this post. What I would add is that while there’s no substitute for a real kit, there’s also no substitute for being able to play whenever you. Electronic kits have a place for that reason, just remember to find a way to get on an acoustic kit regularly, too.
Touché. I just hope our guy gets some access to a real kit.

(I won’t touch an e-kit. Not. Ever.)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-27-2018, 05:37 PM
satisfiedwimp satisfiedwimp is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 72
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

Don't worry drumming around 1pm to 4pm, sound good timing when all people are busy and making noise outside considering cars etc.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-27-2018, 10:54 PM
slhanks04's Avatar
slhanks04 slhanks04 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: AZ
Posts: 26
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

I live in the Phoenix area, so nobody is outside or has their windows open from May into October because it's too hot - even at night. Other times of the year, I use common sense and lay off the drums in the early morning and evening hours when windows are open and little kids may be in bed. Most parents work in my area, so during the day is not an issue, and I am able to work from home a couple of days a week, so who's to say I can't spend my lunch hour playing the drums?

BTW, I just bought a Ludwig Evolution Maple kit and really like it.
__________________
Scott
Gilbert, AZ
______________________
Ludwig | Meinl | Atlas | DW
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-28-2018, 12:00 AM
New Tricks New Tricks is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,986
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

It depends on what you want to get out of the experience.

An E kit or conversion kit will allow you 100x more playing time and easily allow you to mix your drums in if you want to play with recorded music to get back in the groove. All of your coordination skills will get a workout the same as an A kit.

If you want to focus on the drum sound, feel and dynamics, you'd be better with an A kit.

edited

Last edited by New Tricks; 07-28-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-28-2018, 06:00 AM
lrod1707 lrod1707 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 27
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Since you've been playing for 35 years already, I'm not gonna recommend what brand of acoustic kit you should buy. You oughta' know by now, I say - and not much has changed in ten years anyway ;)

As for not making your neighbors angry, perhaps you could do a 50/50 acoustic deadening job. I took one of my bedrooms, and installed 4'x4' panels of acoustic foam (I put four of those on the walls, and some on the door). The windows, when I bought the house, had already been replaced with a double-paned window which goes a long way to keeping sounds inside the house.

It will make noise outside, but not as much if you didn't have any of those things. Would that be an option for you? It'll take some DIY-ing on your part, and maybe you already have double-paned windows in the house? If not, maybe it's time to do that anyway as it really helps with the house staying cool or warm in an infrastructure way.

Of course, if you're using silent heads and Zildjian's silent cymbals, those go a long way to keeping the noise down. But if you downsized the kit too - like maybe get a small jazz kit with an 18" bass drum, that also brings your volume down.
Sounds like some great advice. The only issue is that I can't modify anything right now in the house. It's a new house so I think my wife would be pissed if I start soundproofing stuff. The room that I am going to use is half guest room and half drum room. I can't get around that. And unfortunately, the garage is for the cars and storage. The house does have double pane windows so maybe that helps. Muted acoustic kit and playing during normal hours might cut it. I am still not 100% onboard with an ekit.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-28-2018, 06:05 AM
lrod1707 lrod1707 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 27
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
In this case I'd go electric, not worth the hassle of falling out with your neighbours. It's a waste of time having an acoustic kit if you have to use silent heads and silent cymbals.

Alternatively have a look at a lockup somewhere so you can make as much noise as you like and get the best out of an acoustic kit.
I don't know about that. I figure a ton of people have acoustic kits and they all have neighbors. And my possible plan is to use a silencer like Aquarian super pads and when nobody is around, take them off and play full volume. The option of a practice place is not an option here for me. Eventually I would like to install a backyard shed and convert it into a semi soundproofed studio. I even thought about installing and isolation booth in the room. I think that would look weird though.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-28-2018, 06:06 AM
lrod1707 lrod1707 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 27
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
Depending on when and how long and how often you intend practising, you may be able to have acoustic drums and good relations with your neighbours.
Very true! I will hopefully have nice neighbors that understand.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-28-2018, 06:08 AM
lrod1707 lrod1707 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 27
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
Do what I did. Tell the neighbors you play the drums. Ask them what are some convenient hours or time frame to play where they won't be bothered..much. Work with them, don't try to hide it, as if you could. I do not play before 9 AM nor after 8PM. If they have a special function that they need extra quiet for a time, work with them. My neighbors tell me if they are outside they can hear me, but they have their own TV, music etc., going on that if they are inside they don't hear much. I play with music through headphones so the music source isn't turned up to 11. If you try to play over a stereo source your drums will be crazy loud. They only hear a bit of drums. Don't get into a legal mash about what are the legal times when you can't make noise. Most areas now have nuisance laws that can be enforced at any time of day. People use to say , I can make all of the noise I want up to 11 PM. Wrong. Some areas will stop loud noise at 2 PM. Take the lead and be polite rather that get into a shouting match. If they team up, you lose.
Good advise!
My area does have nuisance laws. I will talk to them about it when I move.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-28-2018, 06:17 AM
lrod1707 lrod1707 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 27
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentcn View Post
What's surprising is that you've been playing 35 years, and you're thinking about an electronic kit, which limits the progress of beginners after about 1 year, sometimes as soon as a few months. They're just not adequate for developing a balanced sound, and proper body mechanics, that translate well to an acoustic kit. After 35 years of playing, I'm wondering why you're not more aware of this.

Also, 2nd floor, when houses are close together? Rent a lockout/rehearsal space, or get the drums in the basement.

Use acoustic drums. Put an Aquarian Super pads on your snare and kick (great response with very low volume), and sound off pads on your toms. Wrap the edges of your cymbals with 4-inch wide elastic from the fabric store, like a steering wheel cover. You can remove all this stuff in one minute, if you get a chance to go full volume, and put it back when you need to be quiet. Low volume cymbals will still be louder than cymbals with elastic around them.
I didn't quite understand your response. I know many people who have been playing for years and they have bought an ekit. I am well aware of the mechanics how progression works. I teach people how to fly airplanes full time! That's my career. Drums for me are for fun. My interest is not to become a master drummer. The issue of limiting beginners, applies to beginners. I don't see how that correlates to somebody with 35 years of playing experience. With 35 years of playing for fun, I am well past the point of analyzing or worrying about what progression I may have. Now, the rest of your post is great advise. Matter of fact, what you have described with the Super pads etc.., will probably be what I end up doing. Thank you for that.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-28-2018, 06:21 AM
lrod1707 lrod1707 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 27
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston_Wolf View Post
People think drums are a lot louder outside than they really are. In reality I don't think they end up being all that loud, and what anyone is going to hear inside their own house is even less.

Also, how often and how long do you intend to play? An hour a day while the sun is up is unlikely to upset anyone.

If you are really worried about it, I'd take Bo's and Pork Pie's ideas: Put up some foam on the walls and try to get someone to bring some drums over and play so you can see what it would actually sound like outside.
You are correct, it's not as much noise as what people think. But it travels far sometimes and neighbors usually hate that. But I will talk to my new neighbors when I move. Foam on the walls is not an option (New house, my wife would be pissed) I would be playing a couple hours per day. I will pick times that would minimize bothering.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-28-2018, 06:22 AM
lrod1707 lrod1707 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 27
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
First question, buy real drums that make you drool.

Second question, play them. Don't complicate things.

Solve any noise/neighbor problems cheerfully, as they occur.

Find out what your neighbors like to eat or drink and buy them a case each year for allowing you the privilege. Or something personal that they value.

Never underestimate the power of bribery.
Thanks! Your advise is on target. I will definitely work with the neighbors.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-28-2018, 06:24 AM
AirborneSFC's Avatar
AirborneSFC AirborneSFC is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Germany (Bavaria)
Posts: 1,053
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

When I started playing I had a room at my parent's house in the garage. It was in Florida so filled CMU (concrete masonry units) with just one small window. I never had complaints just playing myself.

I would also rent warehouse spaces or band practice spaces over the years. Over a few moves I have done the following:

Army at Ft. Bragg - kept a snare and practice pad in my barracks room. My acoustic kit at Church.

I had a loooong break (like you) before I started playing again

North Carolina - I lived in an apartment in Asheville so I had an electronic kit. Not ideal but kept me playing.

Germany - In my apartment I kept an electronic kit. I also had one acoustic kit setup in my rehearsal space that could be played 24x7. One kit setup with my band.

Raleigh, NC - Had a kit in my house and could play really whenever with brushes. During the day no complaints playing with sticks. I played with two bands so had drums setup at each band practice place.

Maryland - First setup I was in a townhouse on a Naval Air Station. We had jets so loud no one ever complained about my drumming when they were flying!

Current house - I built a two story house with basement. I keep my drums upstairs and play during the day no complaints. Had I been smart I would have done quiet rock all in that room. All that said I will be building my studio in the basement later and with earth surrounding 3/4's of the basement I will be fine sound wise.

Overall I say if you want to stay acoustic (which I recommend) maybe try a smaller setup (jazz sizes) to keep the peace along with all the other good advice.

Brushes are great if you enjoy playing with them. All the other quiet solutions I am not really sold on.
__________________
Spiralfire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhdcpleTKlI
Poison Anthem
Session Work
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-28-2018, 06:24 AM
lrod1707 lrod1707 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 27
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.L. View Post
As someone who got an electronic kit after 20 years of playing, I agree with pretty much everything in this post. What I would add is that while there’s no substitute for a real kit, there’s also no substitute for being able to play whenever you. Electronic kits have a place for that reason, just remember to find a way to get on an acoustic kit regularly, too.
I think I'm gonna take the acoustic route and maybe even put some triggers on them. That way I have the best of both worlds. After thinking and thinking, I can't see myself on an ekit. It's tiny!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-28-2018, 06:32 AM
lrod1707 lrod1707 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 27
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slhanks04 View Post
I live in the Phoenix area, so nobody is outside or has their windows open from May into October because it's too hot - even at night. Other times of the year, I use common sense and lay off the drums in the early morning and evening hours when windows are open and little kids may be in bed. Most parents work in my area, so during the day is not an issue, and I am able to work from home a couple of days a week, so who's to say I can't spend my lunch hour playing the drums?

BTW, I just bought a Ludwig Evolution Maple kit and really like it.
I am in central Florida so here it's pretty much the same. Windows closed 99% of the time with A/C at full blast. I'd love to see your kit. How about some pictures. I decided to go with the acoustic and just muffle it when I need to lower the volume. I can't stomach paying for an ekit. The size and feel does not do it for me. I went to Sam ash and tried them all. Even the big ones and it's not the same. At least not for me. After countless hours of research, I am down to the Ludwig Evolution Maple 7 piece or the DW Design series 5 piece (I would add an extra tom and floor tom to make it a 7 piece). These 2 sets seem to sound the best to my ears. Comparable Pearl, Mapex, Gretsch etc. doesn't cut it. I think that Ludwig needs some more marketing because it sounds incredible. And the DW for the price sounds unreal too.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-28-2018, 06:38 AM
lrod1707 lrod1707 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 27
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneSFC View Post
When I started playing I had a room at my parent's house in the garage. It was in Florida so filled CMU (concrete masonry units) with just one small window. I never had complaints just playing myself.

I would also rent warehouse spaces or band practice spaces over the years. Over a few moves I have done the following:

Army at Ft. Bragg - kept a snare and practice pad in my barracks room. My acoustic kit at Church.

I had a loooong break (like you) before I started playing again

North Carolina - I lived in an apartment in Asheville so I had an electronic kit. Not ideal but kept me playing.

Germany - In my apartment I kept an electronic kit. I also had one acoustic kit setup in my rehearsal space that could be played 24x7. One kit setup with my band.

Raleigh, NC - Had a kit in my house and could play really whenever with brushes. During the day no complaints playing with sticks. I played with two bands so had drums setup at each band practice place.

Maryland - First setup I was in a townhouse on a Naval Air Station. We had jets so loud no one ever complained about my drumming when they were flying!

Current house - I built a two story house with basement. I keep my drums upstairs and play during the day no complaints. Had I been smart I would have done quiet rock all in that room. All that said I will be building my studio in the basement later and with earth surrounding 3/4's of the basement I will be fine sound wise.

Overall I say if you want to stay acoustic (which I recommend) maybe try a smaller setup (jazz sizes) to keep the peace along with all the other good advice.

Brushes are great if you enjoy playing with them. All the other quiet solutions I am not really sold on.
Thanks for all that info. I am in Central Florida. House will be concrete with double pane windows so I think it will be OK. I tried the Aquarian super pads and also the Remo Silentstrokes and they are a pretty good solution. Super pads are nice because you just pull them off and you are back to playing full volume. The low volume cymbals are not low enough in my opinion. Some cymbal mutes for practice seem like the best solution. The jazz size set is an idea but I've always has a big set. I don't play jazz. Thanks for your response.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-28-2018, 06:44 AM
lrod1707 lrod1707 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 27
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Tricks View Post
It depends on what you want to get out of the experience.

An E kit or conversion kit will allow you 100x more playing time and easily allow you to mix your drums in if you want to play with recorded music to get back in the groove. All of your coordination skills will get a workout the same as an A kit.

If you want to focus on the drum sound, feel and dynamics, you'd be better with an E kit.
I just want to play a couple hours per day. I don't agree with an ekit giving feel and dynamics. If anything, I see it as opposite of that. I tried some full size ekits and none of them felt real. The size and feel was weird. What I did like though was the ability to play a ton of different kits while not bothering anybody. But other than that, I think it's a deal breaker. I think for me an acoustic kit with muted cymbals and some sound reduction heads like Superpads will do it for me. I can also add triggers if I want to experiment with ekit stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-28-2018, 07:10 AM
Destroyer772's Avatar
Destroyer772 Destroyer772 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Maysville ky
Posts: 1,211
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
Depending on when and how long and how often you intend practising, you may be able to have acoustic drums and good relations with your neighbours.
I agree, there is like 10ft between my home and a neighbor on both sides. I put thick pillows in the Drum room windows then covered the window's in thick blanket. Close every door in the house when I play. I play at reasonable times of the day and focus on Dynamic's, yes drums are loud but you don't have to beat the hell out of them to get result's. Try and find a happy medium, become aware of their work schedule, a decent neighbor will tolerate a little noise for 45 min or so as long as their walls are not shaking. Or on the rare occurrence you might have one that is intolerable. You never know till you try. Even in most city's some noise is ok until after 10pm per city ordinance "at least my small town is this way"
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-28-2018, 07:20 AM
ineedaclutch's Avatar
ineedaclutch ineedaclutch is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: My living room
Posts: 1,592
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

A toned down acoustic kit is the easiest way to go, but I still recommend an e-kit. There is a strong aversion to e-kits around here, but they serve a purpose. I think of them as a next level practice pad. Don't blow 6k on Rolands next offering. Grab a used kit for 3bills and use it whenever you want. It's nice to be able to plug in your phone and jam along at any time.
__________________
Get out there. Don't be a Richard.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-28-2018, 07:22 AM
Ransan's Avatar
Ransan Ransan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 121
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

Go acoustic- Hot rods worked for me when I was confined to my surroundings
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-28-2018, 07:26 AM
lrod1707 lrod1707 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 27
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer772 View Post
I agree, there is like 10ft between my home and a neighbor on both sides. I put thick pillows in the Drum room windows then covered the window's in thick blanket. Close every door in the house when I play. I play at reasonable times of the day and focus on Dynamic's, yes drums are loud but you don't have to beat the hell out of them to get result's. Try and find a happy medium, become aware of their work schedule, a decent neighbor will tolerate a little noise for 45 min or so as long as their walls are not shaking. Or on the rare occurrence you might have one that is intolerable. You never know till you try. Even in most city's some noise is ok until after 10pm per city ordinance "at least my small town is this way"
Unfortunately in my city we have nuisance laws. You can't bother anybody at any time. Wish it was here like it is in your small town. Just like you, the house is like 10 feet from the neighbor. Fortunately, I bought in on a corner so the neighbor is only on one side. The bad news is that the guest room that I will use is on the side which is closest to the neighbors house. Since I am getting a new house, I cannot put anything on the walls and the windows. My wife would not be happy with that setup. It's an eyesore. I will go acoustic with cymbal mutes and some superpads on the drums. And the window in that room is a double pane window so that might help as well. Hopefully that's enough to keep everybody happy.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-28-2018, 07:56 AM
lrod1707 lrod1707 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 27
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedaclutch View Post
A toned down acoustic kit is the easiest way to go, but I still recommend an e-kit. There is a strong aversion to e-kits around here, but they serve a purpose. I think of them as a next level practice pad. Don't blow 6k on Rolands next offering. Grab a used kit for 3bills and use it whenever you want. It's nice to be able to plug in your phone and jam along at any time.
Thanks, I decided on an acoustic with cymbal mutes and maybe some superpads. The ekit is definitely not for me. I definitely would not spend $3K on a used set though. I would like to treat myself to something new since it's been quite some time since I play. I do agree though that the ekit is convenient.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-28-2018, 07:57 AM
lrod1707 lrod1707 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 27
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransan View Post
Go acoustic- Hot rods worked for me when I was confined to my surroundings
I think I will go acoustic. Thanks for the advice.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-28-2018, 08:14 AM
ineedaclutch's Avatar
ineedaclutch ineedaclutch is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: My living room
Posts: 1,592
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrod1707 View Post
Thanks, I decided on an acoustic with cymbal mutes and maybe some superpads. The ekit is definitely not for me. I definitely would not spend $3K on a used set though. I would like to treat myself to something new since it's been quite some time since I play. I do agree though that the ekit is convenient.
3bills=$300. Any of the Dtx Yamahas would be fine just to be able to jam any time you get that particular hair to do so.
Acoustic is king, even heavily muffled, but you may as well grab both.
__________________
Get out there. Don't be a Richard.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-28-2018, 08:54 AM
lrod1707 lrod1707 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 27
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedaclutch View Post
3bills=$300. Any of the Dtx Yamahas would be fine just to be able to jam any time you get that particular hair to do so.
Acoustic is king, even heavily muffled, but you may as well grab both.
Got it! Sorry, thought you meant $3000. I will keep researching my options. I'm still leaning to a muted acoustic set though.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-28-2018, 09:21 AM
New Tricks New Tricks is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,986
Default Re: What do I buy and do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrod1707 View Post
. I don't agree with an ekit giving feel and dynamics. .
My bad. Typo/confusion. I meant A kit
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com