DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Important announcement - Guru Drums

The nine inch nails song "Something I can never have" is playing through my head as I gaze longingly at these pictures.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:35 AM
Gold Member

I'm coming to the UK Drum Show now for sure, Andy.

Not missing your last Guru stand. Try not to have too many snares for sale on show, Dawn may kill me when I get home.

See you soon!
Old 09-01-2018, 03:34 AM
"Uncle Larry"

It's so sad....those drums are looking so gorgeous...I really like the extra shine, of course I'm a sucker for that.

Andy you are going out at the top of your game.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:53 AM
Silver Member

Youíve been burning your candle in both ends!

Guru has a unique place in terms of sound, finishes and innovation. Iíd personally like to see the brand carry on, but finding the right guys to keep it up there might be a challenge.

Best regards
Jorn
Old 09-01-2018, 09:53 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jornthedrummer View Post
Guru has a unique place in terms of sound, finishes and innovation. Iíd personally like to see the brand carry on, but finding the right guys to keep it up there might be a challenge.
Best regards
Jorn
A challenge indeed, & we think it unlikely. That's a shame, as it would provide an awesome platform for someone else to take forward. The really hard work has all been done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Andy you are going out at the top of your game.
I'm holding on to that :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
I'm coming to the UK Drum Show now for sure, Andy.

Not missing your last Guru stand. Try not to have too many snares for sale on show, Dawn may kill me when I get home.

See you soon!
Looking forward to hooking up again Jon :) Honestly, I'm struggling to have enough drums ready for the show, so fear not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
The nine inch nails song "Something I can never have" is playing through my head as I gaze longingly at these pictures.
Well, if it helps you, I don't even have an Origin kit, but I'm planning to fix that.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
A challenge indeed, & we think it unlikely. That's a shame, as it would provide an awesome platform for someone else to take forward. The really hard work has all been done.
The company I work for has the facilities and personnel to take on such an endeavor, but we build wood products for other companies, musical and not, so I doubt they would be interested in product ownership. I think there is probably more money in building product for others. However, one of the company principals IS a drummer/guitarist from way back...

Time to turn off my brain and go back to normal thinking!
Old 09-01-2018, 12:33 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
The company I work for has the facilities and personnel to take on such an endeavor, but we build wood products for other companies, musical and not, so I doubt they would be interested in product ownership. I think there is probably more money in building product for others. However, one of the company principals IS a drummer/guitarist from way back...

Time to turn off my brain and go back to normal thinking!
That's exactly the kind of company who could take this on, & greatly benefit from the brand strength, customer base, & all the R&D that's gone into Guru.

From a personal POV, I'm just as happy to go out on a high & draw a line, as I am to pass on the baton. As previously stated - it's never been about the money.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
Trust me, I've always *wanted* one, because they're spiffy instruments (not because they're investments, though they are that too)... it just didn't occur to me that availability might sunset this abruptly.

I'm thinking the left kidney can pay for it. It hasn't been pulling its weight lately.
I'll better that offer with TWO kidneys, yes, 2 kidneys! If necessary, I can go up to 2 kidneys, 3 fingers (from the left hand), and an eye ball.

Do I hear better than that? I think not...

Anyone else think that Andy's drums will gain the the same status as the cymbals made by cymbal smith Spizichino (spelling?) ?

Don't worry Andy, I'm not trying to bury you already, mate!

Like Larry said, better an Andy and no Guru than vice versa...

You've made your mark, and I'm sure you'll continue to do so in your own way.

Looking forward to your future posts.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:27 PM

Hi Andy, I'm very sorry to read you had to make the decision to quit, what I presume, is your greatest passion / hobby / job.
However, there comes a time when you have to set priorities and living and preserving your health is probably the highest one.
I also spent years pushing it when I realised reality might hit me some day so it would be better to slow down, relax and enjoy life more while it's possible.

Thanks for your and Dean's hard work and awesome products for the drumming world and good luck with your next phase in life.

Eric
Old 09-01-2018, 05:17 PM

^^^ Those are some of the most beautiful drums and works of art Iíve ever seen, and from the videos Iíve seen sound as great as they look. I only recently joined this forum and playing a kit again after a 15 year break so had never heard of them . A health scare put some things in perspective for me also . Iíve vowed to be a better husband and father and to try to enjoy life more which includes playing again . And to do what I need to make sure Iím here for my family . Although Iím sure itís rough giving this up , your health and family come first . Glad for you youíll still be able to play , and most importantly are here and will be around for your family . Good luck to you sir !
Paul.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:19 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over50drumguy View Post
^^^ Those are some of the most beautiful drums and works of art Iíve ever seen, and from the videos Iíve seen sound as great as they look. Good luck to you sir ! Paul.
Thank you Paul, & also for sharing your personal story. It somewhat mirrors my journey over the last 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_B View Post
Thanks for your and Dean's hard work and awesome products for the drumming world and good luck with your next phase in life.
Eric
Thank you Eric. Slowing down is a tough call for me in it's own right. I prefer to phrase it more as resetting of priorities, & releasing time for other activities :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Stand View Post
You've made your mark, and I'm sure you'll continue to do so in your own way.

Looking forward to your future posts.
Aside from apparently setting up an organ bank, I'm looking forward to regaining control to a degree. Running Guru Drums is more than a full time job in it's own right, but the satisfaction of creating special instruments has always been the driver. It would be great to see the company / brand / ideology move forward with an organisation that has more capacity than just Dean & myself - we'll see - there certainly seems to be more than enough interest in that happening amongst the drumming community.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:40 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Setting up an organ bank ha ha. Wait did Mike and Al really send their kidneys?

For reals? :)
Old 09-02-2018, 04:50 PM
Platinum Member

If you do sell the brand, please make sure itís to people that have your commitment to quality, Andy.

I wish the guys at Jenkins-Martin would buy it. Or Oriollo.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:27 PM
Gold Member

My best wishes to you Andy on your decision and whatever the future holds for you. Your passion for your art is what I admire about you most, Guru Drums are stuff of Legend.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:39 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Could Dean not find a few interns to work with, with your overseeing or mentorship to continue the art? Your hands-on would be a great way for some young foks to learn the trade and continue the brand. Just thoughts.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:18 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
Could Dean not find a few interns to work with, with your overseeing or mentorship to continue the art? Your hands-on would be a great way for some young foks to learn the trade and continue the brand. Just thoughts.
Unfortunately Johnny, that's just not viable, at least, not within a timeframe I could live with. Dean produces the raw shells - I do absolutely everything else, so that's more than 50% of the man hours necessary to produce the instruments, as well as running the business in every commercial capacity. Additionally, the dedicated finishing shop & it's specific facilities are all set up remotely from Dean (5 hours drive away).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer772 View Post
My best wishes to you Andy on your decision and whatever the future holds for you. Your passion for your art is what I admire about you most, Guru Drums are stuff of Legend.
Thank you my friend :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push pull stroke View Post
If you do sell the brand, please make sure itís to people that have your commitment to quality, Andy.
That's the idea, or if it's just the brand + trademarks in isolation, at least an interesting forward direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Setting up an organ bank ha ha. Wait did Mike and Al really send their kidneys?

For reals? :)
Yes - the dog is taking a great interest in delivery packages recently ;)
Old 09-02-2018, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Yes - the dog is taking a great interest in delivery packages recently ;)
Hey, a little respect here! It still hurts to pee =P

In all seriousness, if there's any walnut 7x14" shells left and unspoken for, I'm keenly interested.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:18 PM

Guru is not the Stradivarius of the drum world, Guru is greater than that. If Stradivarius had stopped making violins, plenty of people would still be making near identical violins. The same can be said about 99, 9% of instrument makers out there, but not Guru. If Guru disappears, the drumming community looses a type of drum, not just a good drum.

The approach, effort, inspiration, sound, looks, all is there. How everything is tested down to the last detail, no compromises and absolute devotion to excellence and integrity. Guru is the perfect storm of talents.

I say all of this as someone who doesnít even own a single Guru drum and has felt the Guru-presence solely through your Honest Capture-series.

As many others have pointed out, Andy>Guru. I understand the decision. All I can do is hope you find someone who is worthy and willing to take over what I consider to be the greatest drum company in history.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400bpm View Post
Guru is not the Stradivarius of the drum world, Guru is greater than that. If Stradivarius had stopped making violins, plenty of people would still be making near identical violins. The same can be said about 99, 9% of instrument makers out there, but not Guru. If Guru disappears, the drumming community looses a type of drum, not just a good drum.

The approach, effort, inspiration, sound, looks, all is there. How everything is tested down to the last detail, no compromises and absolute devotion to excellence and integrity. Guru is the perfect storm of talents.

I say all of this as someone who doesnít even own a single Guru drum and has felt the Guru-presence solely through your Honest Capture-series.

As many others have pointed out, Andy>Guru. I understand the decision. All I can do is hope you find someone who is worthy and willing to take over what I consider to be the greatest drum company in history.
Yes. This is exactly why Iím hoping someone steps up.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:43 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
In all seriousness, if there's any walnut 7x14" shells left and unspoken for, I'm keenly interested.
I think there's 2 14" x 7" raw shells left in the final walnut shell build arriving in 3 weeks time. PM me :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400bpm View Post

I say all of this as someone who doesn’t even own a single Guru drum and has felt the Guru-presence solely through your Honest Capture-series.

Honestly - I'm teared up here :( I know what the unrewarded 1,000's of hours feels like, the multiple things that didn't go right, the stuff that got disappointingly expensive, the countless times industry professionals told us it couldn't be done / you should get your hardware from China / if you don't process your videos they'll sound weak / it's all down to brand, finishes, & price, why do you go to the pointless expense of stainless steel fixings, etc, etc, etc. I've had some in the industry putting us down consistently, but an equal number lifting us up.

I don't know you, we've never conversed - your post just made a bigger difference to me than you'll ever know. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push pull stroke View Post
Yes. This is exactly why I’m hoping someone steps up.
We'll see - it has away to go yet, but my personal direction must stay clear. We're not taking further build orders, but we will have a range of instruments available that were already in the pipeline before I had my stroke. If nobody steps up, that will be the end. I'm super happy to go out on a high note, & I have no regrets, other than the cards that were dealt to me. This wasn't the plan - I was in for the long haul, but someone else had different plans.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:04 PM
Pioneer Member

Just a bit more pictorial content - these heading out today to another US client as additions to his existing setup. 14" x 14" FT, 10" x 8" tom - both in solid ovangkol with ash hoops. 14" x 7" ash / ovangkol snare with die cast hoops.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2018, 03:59 PM

Andy as others have said this is a totally understandable decision, I wish all the best to you and your family for the future. Which knowing you will be busy! Btw will you still keep up the maritime engineering consultancy work? Looks very interesting stuff.

Your health and family life are absolutely the most important thing and no question must take precedence. There's no need for regret over this decision be justifiably proud of what you achieved and move on.

I for one feel blessed to have my dream kit thanks to you and Dean - thank you both so much for these peerless instruments. [Btw that 8 lug Intense snare works superbly with the Tour kit.]

Looking forward to your continuing contribution to the forum, I'm sure we'll see / hear a lot more from you.

Fondest regards,

Richard
Old 09-04-2018, 04:18 PM

Shockingly sad news!!!
Old 09-04-2018, 05:02 PM
Pioneer Member

I've been truly heartened by the reaction & best wishes from Guru friends, collaborators, clients, & fans too, but also from the music business. The business drumming community has been especially supportive, & that reinforces what I've known for a long time about those invested in this business. Don't get me wrong, this business has it's fair share of idiots, bull s*^%ers, & ego strokers, but in the main, it's full of really dedicated hardworking decent people.

Here's a link to the announcement in Music Instrument News http://www.musicinstrumentnews.co.uk...to-stand-down/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway Child View Post

Looking forward to your continuing contribution to the forum, I'm sure we'll see / hear a lot more from you.

Fondest regards,

Richard
Thanks Richard, & great to hear your new snare is fitting in nicely :) As long as someone cuts me some health slack, I plan on being around & doing lots of drummy stuff for a long time to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCirino View Post
Shockingly sad news!!!
Yes - I was bummed when I heard the news too - oh wait --------- ;)
Old 09-04-2018, 07:20 PM
Silver Member

Ive come out of my anti-internet stance due to this, so hello to any new members who dont know me, sorry for disappearing to all those who know me. Now, I know this is mainly a thread about Guru drums, But Guru drums to me is Andy, and I would briefly like to say something about Andy.
Any of those who know me, know i suffer from a horrific form of anxiety disorder that produces hallucinations and delusions, and for me any form of human contact is generally a huge no no. On top of this, I am a carer for my paraplegic mother since I was 16 and in general means I'm often very poor and very solitary. Move to 2011 (i think?). London Drum show, went with my father as I trusted pretty much nobody else back then, spent as much time in the classes and such as the amount of people there was just terrifying to me. Whilst wandering around, my dad got talking to some random bloke, and I was learning first hand where my hatred for the sound of DW drums would come from. Shortly after my dad came back and dragged me to a stall. This stall was Guru drums. I had never heard of them, but sitting on a plinth was, in my eyes, the most gorgeous drum kit ever produced by man (or in this sense, a drum building god). This kit, was the Guru free floating kit. There was a snare on the seat, and a man was preventing people from playing it. My dad introduced me to this man, his name was Andy. He was immediately kind, compassionate and very passionate on top. He immediately took me over to see all his drums, actually curious what of my drums I liked the most (for note, 13x7 ash is all I remember). And we just chatted, the only time I did at that event, and probably other than Dave Carrera, the only drum builder ive been able to do so at an event. I found the others too.... pushy. Scared the shit out of me. Before I left he caught my arm, smiled at me and said "Fancy a go?". I didnt know what he meant, until he pointed at that free floating kit. He walked me over, put removed the snare on the seat and put me down, and just let me play. It was one of the best experiences of my life.
Since then, Ive only had the courage to go to the drum show two more times in my life, and gutted I could never do manchester. Too far from my comfort zone! In the second time he recognized me and we had good long chats, and I was gutted I missed the group photo. The last time.... the last time he bought me presents. For no reason, not a birthday, I hadnt been in hospital at that point, nothing. Out of true kindness, he bought me some drum heads, drum cases and puresound snare wires. I didnt, and still dont, know what to say at that kindness. I always feel insanely guilty that I cant afford one of his drums or snares, just to put some money into his pocket as a thank you. I doubt now at this news I ever will, which hits rather hard too. But I just want the forum to see, just how wonderful you are Andy. This is not a story many would have heard, but I want everyone to know Andy is more than just a drum building god, but simply one of the most beautiful and amazing people to walk this earth, and the worst person to go through any form of illness like a stroke. I genuinely cried when I heard the news... we already lost Johnny, I dont think the drumming world could deal with losing more master builders.
So here's to Andy, a true legend.

ps, sorry for the essay! Oh and I know she is going to read this so hi madge! Love you loads!
Old 09-04-2018, 07:27 PM
Silver Member

Oh, the kit in question:

Old 09-04-2018, 08:14 PM
Gold Member

Beautiful story man, thanks for posting! Good to see you back! Beautiful kit
Old 09-04-2018, 08:33 PM
"Uncle Larry"

WHAT a great story. There's just not enough good things to say about Andy.

You did a damn fine job though.

Thank you.

That first kit he made really turned my head too. I couldn't resist anything Guru from that point on.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:16 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee View Post
This is not a story many would have heard
The best stories are always kept personal - that way, they stay pure in your memory bank :)

Hey, great to see you here my friend. I've been quietly following your journey over the last few years, & I'm delighted to note your progress in confidence & personal fulfilment. Not everyone is wired the same, & drums shows aren't exactly the ideal setting to pick up on those nuances, but you carry yourself with a demure grace that invites interaction.

May you continue to flourish, & unload those pesky annoyances in life :)