DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 05-19-2018, 02:42 PM

Default Seller's remorse

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster, sorry about that. I was wondering if I could pick your collective wisdom over a dilemma I am currently experiencing. I'll try and keep it as concise as possible, however the more I try and wrap my head around it, the more confused I get.

I am about to receive some inheritance, in the region of more money than I've ever seen at one time. The bulk of it is going to be used for sensible things, however I haven't had a new drum kit in around 10 years, and the lure is strong. I currently play a Premier Resonator, and it's very close to being everything I want in a kit. It has a few bumps and scrapes, but overall it's probably a good 7/10 for it's age. It's seen me well through many gigs and sessions, but I can't shake the desire for something shiny and new. The hard part is that I have zero space to accommodate 2 kits, so if I want the new, the old will have to go, and my biggest fear is if I ever come to regret the decision then finding another one will be near impossible. There are Resonator's out there, sure, but mine is a very late model, perfect liners, with a 24 inch kick and 18 inch floor tom. I look all the time because I'm always curious to what is out there, but I have never come across another kit which matches the specs of mine, not to say that it is unique of course, but I feel I'd have to be very, very lucky to see another.

An obvious replacement for the Resonator would be a Recording Custom, but I am poor and will always have the mentality of being poor, so I simply cannot justify the cost of one, even though I would materially have the funds for it. So I'm very interested in the Pearl Session Studio Select; it's mostly birch, fits my needs exactly and comes in a configuration I'd actually prefer over the Resonator (shallower kick drum, no tom mounting directly to the shell, 60 degree edges). But it's not a Resonator, more a poor man's Recording Custom.

The obvious solution would be to stick with what I have, however the more I think about letting go of the Resonator, the more I feel that reluctance is part of not wanting to move forward, to keep with the familiar, and that sounds quite unhealthy to me. As an artist I'd like to think I'm progressive and forward thinking, yet I'm uncomfortable about replacing a kit made with mostly the same wood, in mostly the same sizes, with a different badge on the shells. It might even sound better, as new kits are miles ahead of older kits in terms of build quality, but it's a risk I'm not entirely committed to.

tl;dr - new and shiny vs old faithful?

Thank you to anyone that feels they can offer some input.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:59 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Seller's remorse

Keeping one, and only one, drum set for the vast majority of us is probably not an issue of concern or worry. Your personal situation may make that difficult or even impossible....you didn't really say why. Space or Peace are the two primary reasons I can see. Space is obvious.
I can say this....
if giving up my drums were to become necessary for peace...I night choose War.
If giving up my drums were to become necessary for Love...I would hope to find the grace within me to choose for Love.
As for the owning of a set that you think is above skill....absolutely go for the finest you can afford.

Two sets is so close to having only one, that if having two means there shall be no peace...You have to ask yourself....how long will it be till the one is a burden?
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2018, 04:04 PM

I say stick with what you have. Take a small portion of the money and give your kit a set of news heads, maybe a new cymbal or two. Plus, another way to look at things is that 90% of the time, one is just playing a bass drum and snare drum. Maybe a new snare drum. I just purchased a Tama SLP Walnut and can't stay off my vintage Ludwig kit.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:09 PM
Platinum Member

When it comes to acoustic musical instruments I see very few problems with getting the best you can, exactly what you want, if you can afford it.

It's not like it gets outdated and can't keep up with software updates.

Take care of it and it will last forever.

Now, even if you're coming into a bit of money now, what's the rush? Take your time and think about it. Buying something just because you can might not lead to the smartest choices.

I know what drums I want and due to financial issues for a while I had to put off getting them. Now I'm really really sure. I'll keep my budget kit and adding small kit stuff, though. Not only do I need and want the versatility, but there are certain gigs where you just don't bring your best stuff.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:09 PM
Gold Member

My advice? Listen to a lot of kits before you buy, on YouTube and such. Let yourself Enjoy the process of choosing. If you do that, youíll be more likely to be happy with the results, long-term.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:25 PM
MasterBlaster

Or, just buy a top of the line Sonor kit.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

Do you have zero room for 2 kits 'setup' or no room for 2 kits 'stored'? 4 drum shells stack pretty well in a corner. You wouldn't need to buy another set of hardware either. I'm just thinking you might have room for 2, if the 2nd is a 4 piece. I agree to give this some time and enjoy the journey.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:51 PM

Well, i have a different view. Take the money, invest it in the s and p 500 index and forget about it. In 10 years it will most likely double if not triple. in 20 years it will probably quadruple.

But alas, this is a drum forum, so I say keep the kit you love. None will satisfy you. If only I kept the 2 guitars i knew I should not have sold, I'd not have blown so much cash chasing the dragon.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:55 PM
Silver Member

I have only owned a brand new kit once,g!ad I did,but won't ever again.It sounds like your main concern is sizes and hardware placement,which you can control when buying new,but generally gets you into the more expensive series.I realize space is an issue but if your needs are not real specific or unusual I would reccomend buying a used kit that fits your needs,that way if it does not work for you it can be resold with no or very little loss of money,if you find a keeper then you can sell the Premier in good conscience.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

They're just drums.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:42 PM
Silver Member

I second the idea of just buying perhaps a new snare, a cymbal, or maybe just some accessories. It's amazing what only one or two new items can bring to an older kit. A new snare takes up much less space (and cash) and can make you feel like you're playing a new kit.

Regarding your Resonator, I've never come across one myself. However, I have definately read about it. If I recall, the Resonator was one of Premier's historic high-end lines and still at the forefront of drum making at the time (late '70s?).
Of course recent drums have improved in quality and consistency but old drums can often still compare very well, especially for their unique character (just think of all the really old vintage drums being collected).
Don't be too quick to dismiss your Resonator, it could well be quite a desirable kit, and not just for collecting but also for actually playing it.
I guess most of us have to remain philisophical about it. Be happy with what you've got.

From one hard up drummer to another, it sounds to me like you have a sensible approach to your situation. Drums are fun and even important, but there are other priorities in life. Even the members here who are best known to indulge in regular "gear acquisitions" will tell you that there are things in life that come first (financially).

Funnily, many people here became members to enquire about gear in preparation for a future purchase. But subsequently we all get drawn into something much more rewarding, deep (and some not so deep) exchanges that go beyond just nuts and bolts.

So, if you just want a drum related kick, keep checking in here and see what conversing with your fellow skinbashers can do for morale!

By the way, I'd love to see pics of your Premier Resonator, I'm sure I'm not the only one!
Old 05-19-2018, 10:11 PM
"Uncle Larry"

At the risk of being a complete hypocrite, I offer the following:

If you don't sell it, you won't make a mistake, and you won't learn anything.

We all learn from mistakes. You won't learn how big of a mistake it is until you sell it.

So your choices are to keep it and never know, or to sell it, and be almost guaranteed regret.

Why should you get ahead without making mistakes? It's like cutting in line!

I'm kidding you about that. But you just won't learn anything until you feel the sting of regret. At least that's how it works for me anyway.

The resonators are great drums. You already have great drums. If you get another set of great drums, you will be no further from where you are now.

But you really have to go through it to fully understand the gravity of the sting.

If you asked me, lessons would be the smart purchase. Learn to read. Tap Bill Bachman (a member here) for hand technique.

If you have to get some gear, I suggest going on a quest for cymbals. Maybe a snare, and some great hardware like a throne.

Buying gear makes you no better at drumming than buying a toaster.

Drums are easy, and are economical to buy used.

Cymbals take some time to get right.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:54 PM
Silver Member

Did you come across gear problem with your resonator? 80/90’s Premier may have spur problems and Rocklock problems. Chrome and shell quality are fine. This sťrie is rare, not very valuable though. I would definitely keep it stored and manage to get a new kit with up to date equipment.

Last edited by Tamaefx; 05-20-2018 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

I say get those new Pearl drums in a nice classic finish and then decide if you still want the old set.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prydon View Post
... however I haven't had a new drum kit in around 10 years, and the lure is strong. I currently play a Premier Resonator, and it's very close to being everything I want in a kit.
So .... a few questions. What was the new kit you had 10 years ago? And what did it do, or not do, for you? Certainly the Resonators haven't been new, in about 25 years. Just to get a little more info. on your mindset.
Right now, I'll vote to keep the Resonators. And work on finding a way to add a second kit to your life.
My first set of high end drums were Ludwig Vistalites. Those were my drums, for 25+ years. And when I cut those loose, I new darn well that I wasn't gonna regret it. I knew I was ready to move on. You don't sound ready.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:57 AM

Thanks so much for the replies everybody. Very insightful and helpful.

To go into a little more background, space is the bottleneck for keeping 2 kits. My Resonator is from around 1990, so it was fairly old when I bought it. And I know exactly what I want, which unfortunately is a Resonator fresh from the factory, and what I have is as near to that as you can get nowadays.

I fully understand itís just gear. I have no aspirations that a new kit will somehow take my playing to the next level; Iíve been in the game for over 20 years and already been through that phase. Every piece of drum gear I own is 2nd hand, and beautifully so. I wouldnít swap my hollow logo Zildjians for anything. But I canít shake thinking back to when I was a kid, dreaming about one day owning the most desirable kit imaginable. The viable translation of that now would be the RC. I understand why it is the price it is, and I donít care about it holding any value as I would likely take it to the grave, but I just canít imagine spending that kind of money on myself on a single item. Yet I finally have the means to do it, and Iím faltering.

As for the cymbals or snare options, I have the aforementioned Zildjians, a Premier Project One and a Beverley 8120, all of which Iíd keep and play as I spent years finding them. And, similar to the Resonator really, they represent a wonderful era of drum design.

I have to admit, I look at the gear pages on this forum and see the frequent updates and wonder how it would feel to have something new. To start with a blank canvas, to be the only person to ever play that kit. I honestly doubt I would be any happier with anything else, but it would be the sensation of change and difference, which I think is important in a way. How important, Iím not sure, which is probably at the root of all this.

As for investing the money, this whole endeavour would cut into about 5% of the total figure. Everything else is going to be very sensibly used and put away for boring adult things.

Thank you again.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:30 AM
Silver Member

Dont worry.

They are drums.

They all sound pretty much the same to 100% of the good people who are not drummers. And pretty much the same for most drummers as well, we just like to think otherwise. They go boo, pah.

Get nice cymbals, and a couple of sets of heads to try out, keep the ones you like give away the others.

And as for the "investing" part. Investing is expecting return on capital. Drums like most instruments are expenses, pure and simple, the nicer the drum the worst the loss. Tax deductions can help.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:39 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks so much for the replies everybody. Very insightful and helpful.

To go into a little more background, space is the bottleneck for keeping 2 kits. My Resonator is from around 1990, so it was fairly old when I bought it. And I know exactly what I want, which unfortunately is a Resonator fresh from the factory, and what I have is as near to that as you can get nowadays.

I fully understand itís just gear. I have no aspirations that a new kit will somehow take my playing to the next level; Iíve been in the game for over 20 years and already been through that phase. Every piece of drum gear I own is 2nd hand, and beautifully so. I wouldnít swap my hollow logo Zildjians for anything. But I canít shake thinking back to when I was a kid, dreaming about one day owning the most desirable kit imaginable. The viable translation of that now would be the RC. I understand why it is the price it is, and I donít care about it holding any value as I would likely take it to the grave, but I just canít imagine spending that kind of money on myself on a single item. Yet I finally have the means to do it, and Iím faltering.

As for the cymbals or snare options, I have the aforementioned Zildjians, a Premier Project One and a Beverley 8120, all of which Iíd keep and play as I spent years finding them. And, similar to the Resonator really, they represent a wonderful era of drum design.

I have to admit, I look at the gear pages on this forum and see the frequent updates and wonder how it would feel to have something new. To start with a blank canvas, to be the only person to ever play that kit. I honestly doubt I would be any happier with anything else, but it would be the sensation of change and difference, which I think is important in a way. How important, Iím not sure, which is probably at the root of all this.

As for investing the money, this whole endeavour would cut into about 5% of the total figure. Everything else is going to be very sensibly used and put away for boring adult things.

Thank you again.
Have you tried out any new kits? Have you watched/listened to YouTube clips of new drums? If you answered yes to either of these questions, do any of these drums stand out to you?
Old 05-20-2018, 09:18 AM
Silver Member

Keep the Resonator.

I regret selling some gear many years ago. Wish I had kept it.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:50 AM

Getting a new kit and renting storage space for the Resonators is not an option? If you find you wonīt be using your old kit anymore after some time you can still sell it...
Old 05-20-2018, 12:17 PM
Silver Member

I have two RC sets from the 80s and I love these drums.

I would say, please yourself and buy the RC. It is like a present youíre offering to yourself, and we need presents sometimes!

Keep the other set for a while in a corner of a room, just in case...
Old 05-20-2018, 01:20 PM
Silver Member

Is it literally impossible to put up some shelving to store a set of shells while not in use?
Old 05-20-2018, 04:54 PM

You are basically asking if buying a new set of drums will live up to your long lived expectation of making you happy, more than your Resonators can do.
Other people can only guess, you probably already know there is only one way to find out...

If it's just 5% and you spend the rest wisely (saving it up): go buy the kit, but keep the Resonators (get a temporary storage room if you really have no space for them at home) and try out your dream. This is the chance.
If it doesn't live up to your expectations, return them or sell them. Maybe you'll loose some money but that's life experience.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_B View Post
You are basically asking if buying a new set of drums will live up to your long lived expectation of making you happy, more than your Resonators can do.
Other people can only guess, you probably already know there is only one way to find out...

If it's just 5% and you spend the rest wisely (saving it up): go buy the kit, but keep the Resonators (get a temporary storage room if you really have no space for them at home) and try out your dream. This is the chance.
If it doesn't live up to your expectations, return them or sell them. Maybe you'll loose some money but that's life experience.
+1. Life is maybe too short to NOT at least try out the kit of your dreams!

Maybe you have a musician friend to whom you can loan the Resonator while you try the RCs?
Old 05-20-2018, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member

You can't find some room in a closet to stack your Premier? It's not unreasonable to have 2 kits. Live a little.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:05 PM
Silver Member

Would you have any picture of the Resonator ?
Often, you change not only to have something new but also to change your kit configuration (bass size, shallow toms, two floors instead of one) if changing configuration isn’t a priority I would understand you’d rather pimp your Premier.

Last edited by Tamaefx; 05-21-2018 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

Keep the resonator, I'm biased I have 2 kits made by Alan Gilby, the guy who designed the resonator.

I did have 3 but sold 1 for the Ludwig. Wish I'd have kept it.

Remember you can spend a lot of money on a new kit and not be happy with it.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:40 AM

Space is very much a premium. I'm in my first house, which is naturally tiny as I'm a typically broke 30 year old still trying to pursue a creative career. I have considered storage, but I'm reluctant to add to my monthly outgoings, and my feeling is if I'm that adverse to letting go of my kit, I shouldn't be buying another one.

I'm veering towards keeping the Resonator, or at least not rushing into anything, but this has been on my mind for a while now and I'd like to settle it and be content with my decision. You've all been incredibly helpful.

And for the kit in question... lefty shock.
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2018, 02:44 AM
Platinum Member

Never sell.

And nothing wrong with having two drum sets.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:50 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Here's another option. Buy the new kit, give the Resonators to a friend to use, but be sure he understands that the Resonators are yours if you want/need them.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:53 PM

Been through the same dilema...took me ages to finally decide to change my dw collectors. Thought it was everything i could ever want in a drum kit - i was wrong - and i happily discovered that fact for about half the price too.
Your 'old' drums are great - changing them won't make you play any better but you might find, as i did, that what you've always thought was your ideal sound/set up can actually be bettered!
As other's have said - a stack of drums in a corner don't take up masses of space - try and find a way to keep them until you've convinced yourself (or not) that whatever new kit you pick was the right decision!
Old 05-21-2018, 02:28 PM

I think that is a nice kit. I would just get a new Snare. If you get to a point you want a bigger set, I'm sure that model and color of toms pops up on ebay sometimes. You're 30, so don't be too stressed about it.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:34 PM
Silver Member

To avoid making an emotional decision:
  1. Keep the kit.
  2. Install new heads all around.
  3. Buy a new snare drum. One that is very different from what you have, and makes a sound you enjoy.
  4. Set up just kick, snare, hats. Play this for 3-4 months.
  5. After 3-4 months, set up one mounted tom, one floor tom. One cymbal. Play for 3-4 months.
  6. Swap out the Premiere toms for another make/model.
  7. Make the decision to sell or keep.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I'm veering towards keeping the Resonator, or at least not rushing into anything, but this has been on my mind for a while now and I'd like to settle it and be content with my decision. You've all been incredibly helpful.

And for the kit in question... lefty shock.
Now I see them, I realise that in my mind I was picturing them in red, like Clem Burke's resonators.

They do look great in white. I think I would keep them.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:46 PM
Silver Member

I’m partial to big white kits ! So don’t sell it ! It’s gorgeous ! I have a big white Signia.
May be put new skins, Rims, and gather spare parts.
What are the sizes ? 24x16 13x10 16x16 ?

Last edited by Tamaefx; 05-21-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

If you are worried about the room, they actually don't take up a lot of room if you store them stacked in the corner. Heck, they even take up less room if you "nest" them.

If you are going to drop some good cash on a drum set, you should figure out exactly what your current drums don't/can't do, and then find a drum set that does that thing or things.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:09 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the photo, Prydon.

Very nice kit. Timeless finish, classic "P" badge, classic one-piece Premier lugs. And of course, those Resonator shells. A piece of drum history.

I think you may currently find yourself in that wretched "no-mans land of desire". You think that you might want to make a change but then again your feelings might be misleading you to do something which deep down you actually don't at all want to do. It's like a curse.

Before even making technical considerations to change your kit or not, I would suggest trying to get to the bottom of what your true desire is.

I've learnt to do this (to a degree). For those of us who don't have the means to freely indulge ourselves, it's important to be able to relativise our wants and needs. Sometimes it's better to just let it go. Free yourself of that nagging feeling that you absolutely need to do such and such at least once in your life.

A very philisophical reply, I know.

I'm trying to really "feel" the real issue here and be all "wise old hippie". I guess I'm trying to be the new Uncle Larry... :-)

Last edited by Mike Stand; 05-21-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member

I recently inherited lots of money. I went out and bought a new drum set, which is loads better than what I had. Peace and goodwill.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Stand View Post
Thanks for the photo, Prydon.

Very nice kit. Timeless finish, classic "P" badge, classic one-piece Premier lugs. And of course, those Resonator shells. A piece of drum history.

I think you may currently find yourself in that wretched "no-mans land of desire". You think that you might want to make a change but then again your feelings might be misleading you to do something which deep down you actually don't at all want to do. It's like a curse.

Before even making technical considerations to change your kit or not, I would suggest trying to get to the bottom of what your true desire is.

I've learnt to do this (to a degree). For those of us who don't have the means to freely indulge ourselves, it's important to be able to relativise our wants and needs. Sometimes it's better to just let it go. Free yourself of that nagging feeling that you absolutely need to do such and such at least once in your life.

A very philisophical reply, I know.

I'm trying to really "feel" the real issue here and be all "wise old hippie". I guess I'm trying to be the new Uncle Larry... :-)
Thank you, this is absolutely what I needed to hear, I'm a philosophical kind of person.

I think I may not have come across as I intended in my first post. The deliberation isn't what I want; I am extremely informed as to what my taste is, which is birch shells in a 13, 16, 18, 24 configuration. Out of what is currently available, the SQ1, RC and British Drum Co. stuff looks good, but the prestige of the RC and their association with Premier during the 80s/90s sways it. My Resonator is basically a British made RC with beech inner liners. Unfortunately for me, there is no current drum that is built similarly to the Resonator, with the thin, sprung inner ply. I know Alan Gilby made an updated version with Richmo, but neither are still with us. And all those aforementioned kits are very much in the upper price range, which is why I considered the Pearl Session Studio Select, as it comes in the sizes I want, 4 of its 6 plys are birch, and it has a lot of nice features at a reasonable price (to me anyway). I'd have considered a Sakae kit if they appeared to be alive still, and the Natal stuff is ok, but really birch kits in that configuration are a little hard to come by. If Premier were still functioning as a drum company and not whatever they are now, a Genista would have done me fine.

Specs of my kit are 24x16, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 and 18x18. The 12 and 13 get used for different gigs, and the 18 only comes out when I have the stage space.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:10 PM

You don't want sellers remorse. I'm not saying you shouldn't buy a new kit, but do everything you can to keep the one you have.

My first instrument is trumpet, and as a second horn, I had a Kanstul 925 flugelhorn, lacquered, with a copper bell. (for anyone who wants to look it up.)

I lost my gig with the band I'd been with (long story there - been back with that band for a good bit now) and I used the sale of that horn to fund a BBQ setup with a Big Green Egg. Don't get me wrong, I love the Big Green Egg, but I wish I'd never sold that Flugel because it was one sweet playing and sounding horn, and they are now too expensive for me to simply replace with another one.

I also bought a Smith & Wesson Model 27 .357 Magnum, and I sold that revolver to fund the purchase of a polymer framed pistol - in this case an H&K USP 45. I love the USP, but at the same time, I wish I still had that Model 27.