Ping Ride or Paragon ?

Looking for some advice. Disclaimer I am a huge Peart fan. I picked up 13" New Beats last month and I am really enjoying them. Great for an all around hihat.

Looking to get a real ride (currently have a 20" HCS and its the best ride I have ever owned - played an 18" CB 700 "Solare"?? ride for 20 years yuck. opened up for Black 47 and the Smithereens with that cymbal as well as a bunch of studio projects and countless HS/College gigs).

I always wanted the Ping ride (see disclaimer above) but I really like the bell and sound of the Paragon ride. Anyone have any experience with these two? Looking for how each holds up as an all around ride. I am in a band that plays a lot of dead, eagles, Hendrix and older classic rock but at home I play a lot of Rush and more progressive stuff.

Thx.

If you want a ping ride, there's no reason not to get one-- I'm sure you could get a used one on ebay for ~$100, maybe less. And they all sound the same, so you're not going to get a weird cymbal. It's a heavy medium, crashes poorly, with a cutting stick and bell sound. Not great for playing loud unmiked, because it doesn't have a lot of body. Still... no reason not to get one and try it out. I have no experience at all with the other cymbal.

I like the A ping ride but not the A custom ping ride. Super heavy cymbal with a lot of ping.... obviously

I use it with a band who plays a lot of rock/blues stuff and it's a great cymbal. Like Todd said though it has a disappointing crash sound

The Paragon was modeled after the Ping Ride. The Paragon differs in that it has a hammered bell, giving the bell more definition and complexity. The 22" versions of each are quite similar. IMO the Paragon wins due to the bell, and available brilliant finish option.

In before the obligatory Stage Custom, Acrolite, New Beat, Sweet Ride suggestions!

I have the A Ping Ride. 22". Bought it in 2006 after vying for it for several years.

I still like it. I don't care if I can't crash it, as I have 3 other crashes to crash on that setup. But I probably wouldn't get it again, because like others said, it does lack a bit of body. But it cuts and it sounds good, not too harsh.

If I was to do it again, I'd probably get a 2002 ride. Or if sticking with Zildjian, just a plain ol' Medium.

I have the A Ping Ride. 22". Bought it in 2006 after vying for it for several years.

I still like it. I don't care if I can't crash it, as I have 3 other crashes to crash on that setup. But I probably wouldn't get it again, because like others said, it does lack a bit of body. But it cuts and it sounds good, not too harsh.

If I was to do it again, I'd probably get a 2002 ride. Or if sticking with Zildjian, just a plain ol' Medium.

hmmm. lurking on YouTube. I like the medium ride as well as the A custom medium ride. That may be it. I have been looking at the 2002s. Very unique sound.

I'll toss in a curve ball...

Sabian Hand Hammered Raw Bell Dry Ride 21"

Has a sweeter, more musical "ping" imo, great bell, some wash, and works played hard or soft. Also plays well with both my A and my K crashes. It's pretty heavy so you probably won't be crashing it much.

I have one and it's on my "keeper" list.

hmmm. lurking on YouTube. I like the medium ride as well as the A custom medium ride. That may be it. I have been looking at the 2002s. Very unique sound.

Go hit a few in person, only way to tell if you'll get on with it.

Ping ride, earth ride, rock ride all a bit of a one trick pony. Medium ride = All rounder.

Go hit a few in person, only way to tell if you'll get on with it.

Ping ride, earth ride, rock ride all a bit of a one trick pony. Medium ride = All rounder.

Yeah I am thinking this as well. Will check out the Sabian Hand Hammered Raw Bell Dry Ride 21"!

Thanks.

IMO the Sabian Groove Ride (I have a custom 22 in ch version) is a more "musical" ping ride imo. Worth a listen.

If all you want is ping, check out the Sabian Pro 20" ride. It's heavy, B8, and kinda ugly. But it pings wonderfully. Bright, loud, quick, and plenty of stick bounce. It's worthless for anything else. Crash it and "ping", try to was it and "ping ping ping ping". It makes one sound but does it well. The pricing is all over the map, I've seen them from $50 up to $250 used.

Yeah I am thinking this as well. Will check out the Sabian Hand Hammered Raw Bell Dry Ride 21"!

Thanks.

The Raw Bell Dry Ride also comes in the other series. HH - HHX - AA - AAX, from darkest to brightest. I also feel there’s a significant difference between the ‘natural’ and ‘brilliant’ versions of the HH model.

Neil Played a Zildjian Ping for years before he moved to Sabian and developed his Paragon line. So either choice would be correct.

I love the Paragon crashes and hats, but find the ride is not very crashable. It's pingy with a modest bell, but it really wants to be just a ride. My solution was a 22" HH Raw Bell Ride.

But the A Custom is also nice. :)

Bermuda

Back