custom kit...

eamckine

getting a custom kit..ordering shells (maple with vss) from precision drums with double 45 degree bearing edges cut..tube lugs..die cast hoops..custom marble white finish with pictures of my son and wife scattered over finish..sizes are (in diamter/depth) 22x20 bass drum,10x7 rack tom, 12x7.5 or 8, 14x13 floor. my issue is i'm not sure if i should get the shells same across the board (8ply 5.4mm) or if i should do 10 ply 6.7 mm for the bass and 8ply for the toms..or go crazy and do 10ply 6.7mm for the entire set..oh and i'm getting a 15ply 13x7 custom snare drum..? need help..only one shot at this..lol..

Only you know what you like. My suggestion is to play some kits, find out what you like and then base your decision on that.

Thin shells resonate more and sound warmer, to me they sound bigger. My opinion only, yours is the one that matters...

with 8ply at 5.4mm, would that be thin enough? i've researched other kits from yamaha and tama (amongst others) and they have mm's in the range of 5.1 and 6.1 so i'm guessing 8 should be enough. i really am not sure as to what exactly shell size i want which is why i am inquiring from you guys. you probably know much more about drums than myself. but thanks for the reply. keep it gangsta, stay drummin'.

only you can make your dreams come true...

with 8ply at 5.4mm, would that be thin enough? i've researched other kits from yamaha and tama (amongst others) and they have mm's in the range of 5.1
only you can make your dreams come true...

5.1-5.4mm is a difference of .3mm. Three tenths of one millimeter. Not significant in any way that matters. Variances in the woodgrain and glue would make a bigger difference in sound.

I've built my kit out of 5 ply with reinforcing rings toms and bass drums.
My suggestion is 6 ply toms 8 ply bass.

I've built my kit out of 5 ply with reinforcing rings toms and bass drums.
My suggestion is 6 ply toms 8 ply bass.

Precision drums sells 4mm shells with rerings. I'd like to build a bop kit from those.

5.1-5.4mm is a difference of .3mm. Three tenths of one millimeter. Not significant in any way that matters. Variances in the woodgrain and glue would make a bigger difference in sound.

that's what i thought. now they do have the 10ply shells at 6.7mm per but i think that would be too much..i'mma probably go with the 8ply shells for toms and 10ply for the bass drum.

there's always money to be made..it's your choice to get it...

This is my new custom drumset. Made by 100% pure Birch in 6ply+3ply sound focus ring in 22x18 12x7 16x14 sizes.
DSC00020.JPG

DSC00014.JPG

DSC00018.JPG

DSC00023.JPG

DSC00019.JPG

And any images here

Back