Ludwig Fan Club

• Thread starter Jusstickinaround
  • Start date
Smooth...

Clubdates have different lugs also.....if you have separate lug configuration on the kit your'e getting...it's a SC

Oh yes I know all about the lugs, but I haven't seen the kit personally yet. I am sure it is an SC since Club Dates did never came standard in 22" 13" 16," which is all the info besides the WMP finish I have on the kit (and that it is near mint.)

Here's my maples:

ludwigmaple3.jpg

ludwigmaple2.jpg

Here's my birches:

ludwigbirch1.jpg

ludwigbirch4.jpg

ludwigbirch3.jpg

And my two Ludwig snares:

supraphonicsnare.jpg

ludwigbirchsnare.jpg

Weren't there Rockers with a Standard/Rocker bass head? Kind of a crossbread/crossover set.

Did know that Ludwig used the same 3-ply shells for the Standards as the Classic line when they were first introduced. The Standards just had the cheaper hardware. But you probably already knew all of this.

Latz, I can't say about the crossover you mentioned but do know that the Rockers came on when the Standards were dropped so nothing would surprise me at this point. I know of some who think because something is a certain way that all of the "others" from that line, or time frame, had to be the same way. There is a local guy who worked at Ludwig throughout the 60's and he said that many liberties were taken to use up old stock or they would use "something" that was "close" if they ran out of certain parts.
I asked him that specific question after coming across odd-ball stuff more than once that, from all appearances, weren't done by some Drummer over the years, which is another major factor, or should I say hinderance, when trying to figure out an old Outfit, or Drum. Things get changed, fixed or whatever over the years that you will never, no matter how hard you try, figure out. Because of this I started using a saying that I must have heard somewhere, "It is what it is."

I also knew about the Standard (original 1968-71 Line) using the 3-ply Shells and have recommended them to others based on that fact.
I also dig the Strata Finishes....................

LVDC

I finally got around to setting up my 70's "modified" Stainless Outfit:
13, 18 & 24 with a 1975 Supra 402.....................................

265701631.jpg

265701642.jpg

265701669.jpg

Cymbals: 22 Ride, 18 Med Ride, 16 Med Crash & 15 Sound Edge Hi-Hats (all Paiste 2002's)
Bass Heads: Aquarian SuperKick II & Regulator with 7" Hole to tame "ring"
Ludwig Smooth White Reso / with no hole coming soon..........................
Tom Heads: Evans Texture Coated EC2 (batters) Aquarian Classic Clear (reso's)
Snare Heads: Remo 2-ply Ambassador (Vintage A) & Ludwig thin snare-side
Stands: 1970's Ludwig Hercules
Pedal: DW 9000......................

LVDC

Last edited:
d28624f6.jpg

c761e782.jpg

Here are my Ludwigs, I call it the "Green Monster"

I finally got around to setting up my 70's "modified" Stainless Outfit:
13, 18 & 24 with a 1975 Supra 402.....................................

265701631.jpg

265701642.jpg

265701669.jpg

Cymbals: 22 Ride, 18 Med Ride, 16 Med Crash & 15 Sound Edge Hi-Hats (all Paiste 2002's)
Bass Heads: Aquarian SuperKick II & Regulator with 7" Hole to tame "ring"
Ludwig Smooth White Reso / with no hole coming soon..........................
Tom Heads: Evans Texture Coated EC2 (batters) Aquarian Classic Clear (reso's)
Snare Heads: Remo 2-ply Ambassador (Vintage A) & Ludwig thin snare-side
Stands: 1970's Ludwig Hercules
Pedal: DW 9000......................

LVDC

I noticed you have your tom mounted on the kick with a Ludwig double tom arm. I use the same, but I changed the tom mount because I got tired of having to use a wrench. Do you have the original tool that loosens and tightens the nut on the mount?
Nice kit, bet it sounds fantastic.

Ah wotthehell,not that anyone has never seen my kit before....Modern classic maples with Paiste cymbals and Percussion Rack....and a clean (well,almost,) practice space...

Attachments

• Picture100.jpg
    Picture100.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 4,700
  • Picture200.jpg
    Picture200.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 4,793
  • Picture300.jpg
    Picture300.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 4,671
i have a question......whats wrong with Ludwig Accents?.......cause i think i have one......

Nothing, except they're entry level. The only reason why I was bashing mine is because most of the kits I see in this thread are clasic 'Wigs, not accents.

YEM

I noticed you have your tom mounted on the kick with a Ludwig double tom arm. I use the same, but I changed the tom mount because I got tired of having to use a wrench. Do you have the original tool that loosens and tightens the nut on the mount? Nice kit, bet it sounds fantastic.

Yes, I have a couple different style wrenchs, the type from the 60's & the one they replaced it with in the 70's.................

Thanks, I got this Outfit, well the Quadra Plus, without ever hearing Stainless and was totally blown away by it's sound. To be honest I prefer it's sound to my 3 or 6 ply Shells, although it is LOUD! When I first set it up last year and got the 18 tuned for the first time I was so impressed by the clarity & tone that I immediately went and grabbed some Timp Tom Mallets and just played the Floor Tom for well over an hour, probably grinning from ear to ear the whole time. I don't know what it is, but Stainless just seems to resonate in a way that's unique and hard to describe.......................

LVDC

Latz, I can't say about the crossover you mentioned but do know that the Rockers came on when the Standards were dropped so nothing would surprise me at this point. I know of some who think because something is a certain way that all of the "others" from that line, or time frame, had to be the same way. There is a local guy who worked at Ludwig throughout the 60's and he said that many liberties were taken to use up old stock or they would use "something" that was "close" if they ran out of certain parts.
I asked him that specific question after coming across odd-ball stuff more than once that, from all appearances, weren't done by some Drummer over the years, which is another major factor, or should I say hinderance, when trying to figure out an old Outfit, or Drum. Things get changed, fixed or whatever over the years that you will never, no matter how hard you try, figure out. Because of this I started using a saying that I must have heard somewhere, "It is what it is."

I also knew about the Standard (original 1968-71 Line) using the 3-ply Shells and have recommended them to others based on that fact.
I also dig the Strata Finishes....................

LVDC

I agree, the Strata finishes were/are some of the coolest. My sources tell me the same of varying practice at Ludwig. It's kind of a shame, but I imagine the orders were piling up so whatever it takes to get 'em out the door!

Do you ever make it down to Chi-town for the Vintage/Custom show? The guy that runs/has the booth with Bun E., has around 60 (yes, sixty) Old Ludwig kits. His house is like a museum. It is one of the most incredible sites. He also collects other vintage kits, but he has mostly Ludwigs.

I don't think many know about the shell thing in the Standards, but I'm sure word is creaping out......

Do you ever make it down to Chi-town for the Vintage/Custom show?

Never have Latz, in spite of the fact that it's only about 4 hours or so away.
I thought about it this year but that's about as far as it went.................

LVDC

A new bass drum head, a Remo Powerstroke for my Ludwig drums.
0722071659editedfq4.jpg

Last edited:
Heres mine.

1980's Luddies(black and white badge), rewrapped in "Black Charcoal". Some guy from Chicago rewrapped them, and did an excellent job. That was about 5 years ago or so, I've had these for 10 years now.

(Diam. x Depth)
Kick - 22x18
Floor - 16x16
Tom - 13x11 (not pictures)
Tom - 12x10
Snare - 14x6.5 (Rocker Series) But soon to be either Ludwig Supra-Phonic 402 or Black Beauty w/ SS snares

Evans Heads
Toms - G2 coated/G1 clear
Snare - SD14/Hazy 300
Kick - EMAD/Aquarian Regulator

Sabian Cymbals
Hi-Hat - 14" XS20
Crash - 16" XS20
Crash - 16" Rock Ride (old)
Crash - 18" AAXplosion
Ride - 21" AA medium

Hardware
Ludwig Hi-Hat Stand, Ludwig Double Pedal (Soon to be changed to DW pedal, either 5000 or 9000), Ludwig Straight Stand, Ludwig Snare Stand, Peace Stand (holding tom, LP cowbell, and XS20 Crash), 2 PDP boom/straight stands

Other
LP cowbell

Pro-mark 5B sticks, Pro-mark Thunder Rods, Sound Percussion Throne

Pics:

Out in Front
AllPicsVideos163.jpg

Above Shot
AllPicsVideos168.jpg

Driver's Seat
AllPicsVideos166.jpg

Side Shot
AllPicsVideos169.jpg

After spending over a year in "The Pile" my 1979 Big Beat + 1 has been thoroughly reconditioned and is ready for many years of service................

The original Outfit is 12, 13, 16 & 22 (Big Beat) with the 14 a separate addition that dates to the early 1980's.....................

This was one of those Oufits that are out there but hard to find, having been played for only a couple of years then stored since that time. I was lucky to get it almost complete, original Stands, Pedal & Throne, with the only thing missing the original Snare & Stand. Based on the wear I saw when working the Stands, Throne & Pedal, not to mention the Kit itself, this Outfit was definitely never used for Gigging..............

268378981.jpg

268167356.jpg

Now I just have to decide whether to work a 1971 Blue Oyster Pearl Big Beat, a Supra-Phonic, or an Acrolite.
After cleaning Drums & Hardware 6 - 8 hours a day for over a year now a break might be in order, but I doubt that will happen.........

LVDC

After spending over a year in "The Pile" my 1979 Big Beat + 1 has been thoroughly reconditioned and is ready for many years of service................

The original Outfit is 12, 13, 16 & 22 (Big Beat) with the 14 a separate addition that dates to the early 1980's.....................

This was one of those Oufits that are out there but hard to find, having been played for only a couple of years then stored since that time. I was lucky to get it almost complete, original Stands, Pedal & Throne, with the only thing missing the original Snare & Stand. Based on the wear I saw when working the Stands, Throne & Pedal, not to mention the Kit itself, this Outfit was definitely never used for Gigging..............

268378981.jpg

268167356.jpg

Now I just have to decide whether to work a 1971 Blue Oyster Pearl Big Beat, a Supra-Phonic, or an Acrolite.
After cleaning Drums & Hardware 6 - 8 hours a day for over a year now a break might be in order, but I doubt that will happen.........

LVDC

Cool, I never knew Ludwig offered that finish in the 70's. Work on the Big Beat or the Supra. The acrolite, meh, unless they were of higher quality back then. But there are so many of them on ebay, seems like everyone has one.

And only a week left until I get my Luddies, time flies by so fast, yet so slow.

Back