Ludwig Stainless Steel Resized #4.jpg

This is my Ludwig Stainless Steel set. The sizes are as follows:

8 x 10 mounted tom
8 x 12 mounted tom
14 x 14 floor tom
16 x 16 floor tom
14 x 22 bass drum
6/12 x 14 Bronze Supraphonic Snare

The 14 x 22 bass, 8 x 12 mounted tom and the 16 x 16 floor tom are original 1977 Ludwig's. The 8 x 10 mounted tom and the 14 x 14 floor tom are made by Ronn Dunnett. They are the only of their kind as Ludwig did not produce an 8 x 10 mounted tom or 14 x 14 floor tom. They sound very warm and focused...Not what you would expect from a stainless steel set....I have a 9 x 12 coming to replace the 8 x 12 very soon as it is also being made as we speak by Ronn Dunnett. He is a true craftsman and puts out a fabulous product.

Very nice! Ludwig, to me, is becoming the epitome of "timeless" kits. As much as they 've tried to change things over the years, they still retain this sameness of vibe, don't you agree? You could look at a 70s era kit, and look at my brand new 2013 kit, and they appear identical. Gretsch has pretty much done the same thing as well.

I've always wanted to play one of those suckers.

You mention that it is focused. I would imagine it would be with the mute-rings you have on the toms. Have you tried them wide open? Ambo's with no mutes?

+1. Which is funny as I've never managed to warm to a steel snare.

Very nice looking kit Bob. Ron's done a great job with the add ons. If you hadn't have said as much, I would have thought they walked out of the Chicago factory the same day as the rest of the kit.

You mention that it is focused. I would imagine it would be with the mute-rings you have on the toms. Have you tried them wide open? Ambo's with no mutes?

Yes, I have played them "Wide Open" and they still sound pretty focused. I use the mute rings on all my sets, not just the stainless steel...

There was a reissued one at Guitar Center a couple of months ago. I didn't try them out though. Just by lifting the floor tom I could tell that I wouldn't want to gig with them. It weighed a freakin' ton (technical term).

That is cool! I have a similar set, and was wondering where the 10 inch tom came from until I read through your post. My set is still in cases ready to clean up this winter, but seeing yours makes me want to get going on it!

That is cool! I have a similar set, and was wondering where the 10 inch tom came from until I read through your post. My set is still in cases ready to clean up this winter, but seeing yours makes me want to get going on it!

The 14" floor tom is also a "one of a kind".

There was a reissued one at Guitar Center a couple of months ago. I didn't try them out though. Just by lifting the floor tom I could tell that I wouldn't want to gig with them. It weighed a freakin' ton (technical term).

Haha, in my circle we use the metric system - "that thing weighs a metric $h!t-ton!"

That is an awesome kit, though. Timeless and flashy at the same time.

That set brings back some memories.
My first set was a Ludwig stainless steel, 24, 13, 18.
Unfortunately, in my troubled teenage years, after I gave up playing, I managed to leave them storaged in the wrong place for years and not pay rent, so when I went back to get them they were gone.

I'm still kicking myself for that. How stupid can you be, not taking care of your stuff?

Your set looks great, may you enjoy that sonic thunder they produce!

Great kit! My first pro kit was a silver sparkle double bass Luddy Super Classic and those drums rocked!!!

I asked Santa for these but didnt get get them..not shocked I was a bad boy this year....lmao

Bonzolead

Attachments

• Ludwig Stainless Bonham.jpg
    Ludwig Stainless Bonham.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 342
Back