DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:03 AM

Default Holding your drumset hostage

Hi I was recently on a long tour(10 months with a cover band) when I had to return home due to medical reasons. To make the transition easier and save them money I agreed to leave my set behind(4 piece Ayotte Custom) for the sub-drummer coming in, I only agreed to this because he worked with this band before and could be trusted. Now it's come to my attention he's leaving the band(after 6 weeks) and they are in the process of hiring someone else. I found this out not from them but through the grapevine. This will be a long distance hire and they are going through Craigslist to advertise which doesn't sit well due to my experience using it, a big number of the musos are never what they promote themselves to be. They simply don't know who they are getting since they can't meet this person until they show up at the gig.

I've tried to get in touch with them to see what the situation is but get no reply, they know this won't sit too well with me, but all I ask is to keep me up to date when it comes to my equipment, I'll gladly pay the expense to have it shipped back.

Anyone else had this Happen?
Old 05-17-2010, 12:17 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Holding your drumset hostage

Consult a lawyer immediately and get your kit back!
What does your contract say about their responsibility for your kit?
My guess is that it doesn't require you to leave your kit if you are on medical leave.
Did they pay to transport your kit during the tour?
These are all questions for an Attorney.
If they are out of contact with you I wouldn't waste any time getting professional legal help on this matter.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:40 AM
"Uncle Larry"

How much distance is between you and your kit? I would just go get it, but it must be far away or you wouldn't be asking. What are they gonna do, pack it all up and pay to insure and ship it for you? That doesn't sound good, missing parts, damage etc.

Will they ever be coming your way any time soon? more 411 plz.

This is a situation where being too nice landed you in a precarious position.

I hope you didn't leave your cymbals too...

What's more expensive, getting new stuff or retrieving your old stuff?
Old 05-17-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
Consult a lawyer immediately and get your kit back!
What does your contract say about their responsibility for your kit?
My guess is that it doesn't require you to leave your kit if you are on medical leave.
Did they pay to transport your kit during the tour?
These are all questions for an Attorney.
If they are out of contact with you I wouldn't waste any time getting professional legal help on this matter.
The lawyer sounds like a good idea in theory but the SOB bloodsucker will probably bill him for more than the drum set cost :(
Old 05-17-2010, 12:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckypops View Post
The lawyer sounds like a good idea in theory but the SOB bloodsucker will probably bill him for more than the drum set cost :(
I doubt it! His kit is an Ayotte!
A consultation with an attorney will cost about $800.
Without having read the contract and knowing the tour Co. obligations, I can't give anymore advice at this time!
Old 05-17-2010, 01:16 AM

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll probably end up going and getting it myself(they are up in Yellowknife and I'm in Vancouver), since they won't be back in town until December. It wasn't part of my contract to leave the kit behind, I thought I was doing them a favour since I've run bands myself and know what it's like losing money when members have to leave, I also payed my own way home from the gig.

I've since found out this project goes through drummers like a pez dispenser, the woman who leads the band with her husband can be quite the Diva, obviously something happened when the replacement only stuck it 6 weeks. So now I just can't trust them, who knows what type of person will show up now.

I'm not going to give them any warning, I'll just show up and get my stuff.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:20 AM

If you can post their schedule, maybe someone on the forum is close enough to pick them up for you...! Most of us are decent people that would probably be willing to do this for you.

If they will be within driving distance of Savannah GA I'd be willing. I'll even sign a contract as a "Pickup person" to protect you!

---

Oops! Just seen the location...Maybe someone else.. to buy you some time..! .. ?

Last edited by ChipJohns; 05-17-2010 at 01:21 AM. Reason: revised
Old 05-17-2010, 01:27 AM
Platinum Member

Is there any way to find out how to contact the latest drummer from craigslist?
He may be a decent guy, Perhaps he has an internet site that you can reach him through.
A fellow brother drummer is probably your best bet for protecting your kit.
Contacting, and befriending him is a good way to proceed.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:43 AM

No unfortunately there is no way I can find out who it might be. Here in Vancouver the Craigslist music community is a big circus, when I ran my own band on cruiships I could never make 1 hire using them, everyone that auditioned was a complete waste of time even when you described in detail what the gig was about. This is why I just want to get everything back.

They could have just kept me informed but instead chose not to, they know I wouldn't agree to this, I'm surprised they are using Craigslist themselves ESPECIALLY for a long distance hire.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrthirsty View Post
I'll just show up and get my stuff.
This is what I would do (in fact, I'd have done it already). Why hasn't the sub(s) got his own kit?

Gutsy move mate. I'd never have left it in the first place.......and wouldn't have given two hoots what they thought of me for taking it.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:28 AM
Platinum Member

Let this be a warning: Never do anything like this, even for family. Touring is such a sketchy and unpredictable environment that you can't tell what might happen to the kit - even if you are personally there to guard it.

If they can find a Craigslist drummer, then they can find a Craigslist drum kit for him.

No telling who has your kit. I'd be checking to see if it turns up on eBay or Craigslist.