DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:17 AM

Default Re: Things you do that annoy your bandmates

Whenever the guitarist tunes I always feel compelled to play while there tuning and it always gets them pissed.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLackey View Post
Everyone should try this one a few times just for laughs. Instead of doing the usual: foot on 1, snare on 2, foot on 3, snare on 4 - flip it. Snare on 1, foot on 2, snare on 3, foot on 4. Do it for a few measures just to watch the confusion on your band mates' faces.
LOL, nice. I just imagined it and when I did I could instantly imagine the looks on the faces of almost every long-term band member I've played with ... it's the same look as I get whenever I decide to try one of my "scientific experiments" in a song and it doesn't quite work out.

If I was to find a word that covered all their looks, I'd go for "perplexed" :)

I once heard that the best way to counter the famous Bassist Glare (in response to a timing malfunction) is to gaze fixedly at their fly ...
Old 04-18-2010, 05:21 PM

I play with my best friends of many years so we don't really get on each others nerves. But I find playing on any crashes smaller than 18" tend to hurt their ears - they say it sounds shrill. I have to admit, I prefer the fuller sound of larger cymbals anyway, but it's interesting - we don't play all that loud and I have decent cymabls 16" Avedis Medium Thin, 16" HHX Evolution, 18" HHX Evolution, 20" Bosphorus Traditional Ride (used as crash). I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drums101 View Post
Whenever the guitarist tunes I always feel compelled to play while there tuning and it always gets them pissed.
Amen, brother! Why is that I wonder?

I also do annoying things like say "Are we gonna practice or fart around for three hours?".
Old 04-18-2010, 09:23 PM

i bounce my left leg too hard and it freaks my bass player friend out!
Old 04-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Senior Administrator

i screw around while counting in for example i will look over at the bassist and say:

'ready? this song is in the key of G...' (when i know its in C - syllables stressed to establish the tempo)

or count in foreign languages or say nonsense
'ein zwei hickle pickle.'

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 04-19-2010, 05:14 AM

Lol, i throw in blast beats in places that should be silent. lol
Old 04-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairyairman View Post
thanks for backing me up on this! the weird thing is he claims to be a full time pro musician. how does he think he'll ever make it with an attitude like that? i know this thread is about what we do to piss off people, but i think i might be more pissed at him than he is at me.

we recently played at a high paying music venue downtown and were told by the owner afterward that we were sloppy and sounded like we didn't know our songs. not only that, he told us we were not welcome back there, so now our reputation is spoiled and there's one less place we can play. that's what happens when you don't know your songs.
I mean if he wants to put his own spin on the songs I don't see a problem with that because it can make it more interesting, but not bothering to learn the basics like how to start, where the transitions are and most importantly where to end is just damn right stupid and I don't know anyone who would not do these things on purpose.

Sounds like he is living in a fantasy world to me, we're having trouble with our guitarist too, he is sloppy and he says he knows the songs but when it comes to playing them he forgets them, he can't get the hang of simple things like starting a section of a riff on the last note of the previous section and things like that. The thing is he has been playing guitar longer than I have drums (over 7 years) and he hasn't shown any signs of improvement in all of this time, it is very frustrating.

We have tried to tell him but how do you tell one of your best mates he needs to improve?
Old 04-19-2010, 09:55 PM

Actually, when I start playing. I just can't understand why. :)
Old 04-20-2010, 01:26 AM
Silver Member

I always get "keep it down in the verses" I am not playing to loud in the verses, they are just stone deaf.

The other thing that annoys my bandmates is they will complain about my snare drum buzzing and I look at them like they are idiots. There is nothing I can do about it when their 300watt 8x10 bass cab is sitting right next to me, their monitors are pointed directly at me. I refuse to "fix" my snare drum when it is not the problem.

They get annoyed anytime I play drums that is not in a song. They basically expect me to set everything up and not hit a drum or cymbal until the 1st song. meanwhile they wank around for 20 minutes on the stupidest riffs that have nothing do with the music we are playing. oh yeah I also have to sit there while they are messing around. God help me If I walk off in the middle of their "sound check"

the other thing I do that annoys my bandmates is ask for a way to leave my drumset. I don't know how many times I set up in a corner and they put their amps right next to me so there is no way out. then they get "annoyed" that I have to move their amp so I can get up from behind the kit. my kick is only 14" deep and my whole kit fits on a 3'x2' bar mat and they still manage to cram all the gear next to me.

I'm not even lucky when I have a drum riser at a gig, the guitar player makes me set up to one side so they can put their stack on it.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:03 AM

1. Doing rim shots whenever someone cracks a joke.

2. Implying that every one else in the band is gay. For example, the 2nd guitarist will say something like "maybe now we can play my favorite song, Highway Star", and I'll say: " I thought your favorite song is: It's Raining Men" (followed by a rim shot)
Old 04-20-2010, 03:34 AM
Platinum Member

I like to syncopate the beat at the time when they are all in the middle of a total screw up. Then I smash a multitude of crashes to help hide their mistakes to get them all off of the hook!
Its kind of like saying, "I told ya so!"
Old 04-20-2010, 07:04 AM

I actually like to play my drums when someone in the band is trying to talk.

I just seems to be funnier that way,

And then ill say " im done" and then they will start talking again and ill start playing again..

Douches...haha
Old 04-20-2010, 07:06 AM

Playing my wind chimes when they are trying to be serious hahah
Old 04-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbike View Post
They get annoyed anytime I play drums that is not in a song. They basically expect me to set everything up and not hit a drum or cymbal until the 1st song. meanwhile they wank around for 20 minutes
That's a classic McBike. Everyone can mess around on their instruments except us because drums project acoustically. I end up doing teeny tiny buzz rolls right on the edge of the snare head, just a few mms from the rim.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
That's a classic McBike. Everyone can mess around on their instruments except us because drums project acoustically. I end up doing teeny tiny buzz rolls right on the edge of the snare head, just a few mms from the rim.
If I can't wank, no one can wank. That means no wanks around and the practices are actually much more productive.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Silver Member

One band I work with a lot has musicians rotating in on gigs based on their schedule, so on any given night you can get some people you haven't played with before. When I get new singers, I'll act like I have no clue how to do the gig. Like "Hey, how do all these medleys go?" or "I have no idea how to play the bridal dance tune."

Another fave is I'll start tapping the bass pedal lightly when the soundman is putting the bass mic into position in the bass. They love that, try it out.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFDrummer View Post
Playing my wind chimes when they are trying to be serious hahah
Ha ha that's awesome. I think I'd better get some humor gizmos like a ratchet, slide whistle, gazoo and a vibra-slap to punctuate some more humor into the gig. Let the inner Zappa loose!
"This song goes out to our dear friend Bob, who died in that horrible car accident at Kay's Cliff". <insert descending slide whistle here>

The guy from page 1 who said he farts into his fan is pretty much my hero.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:23 PM

I ask them if the song is in straight eighths, swung with a triplet feel, or is it really the blues in 12/8. Most of 'em can't count to four anyway and this gives 'em a "deer in the headlights" look. It's almost diabolical but I can't help myself. .
Old 05-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Gold Member

Well I'm about 30 years younger than everyone (I'm 17) and I know this annoys them to no end. Best part is, I don't even have to do anything!!!

Other than that though I don't intentionally do anything to annoy them (respect your elders and all that...).

-Jonathan

*EDIT* wait I thought of something.... Sometimes when I count off a song, I start playing a break beat or dance groove instead of the ambient stuff we do! hehe

and a like facebook.com/tylordorytrio
Old 05-06-2010, 09:00 PM

rim shots when counting in the first 4 beats instead of hitting the sticks with each other.

i apparently play too soft and people always want me to play louder, which in turn i just ask them to lower their amp volumes~~

im extremely opinionated and critical over their playing.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:11 PM

I used to be too intimated to wank before the gig, and would just warm up on the first set. But lately I've taken to warming up more and it probably is bothering them now, too bad.

I probably don't show enough enthusiasm either. I've accepted that we will be playing crap like Mustang Sally and Honky Tonk Women and don't complain about the songs by name, but I don't get all excited about doing them either. I'm all business, plus I'm often real tired and injecting caffeine trying to wake up. I still enjoy the hell out of playing, but at my age have really wearied of these old standards and worry that the audience has too.

And I think I'm rubbing one of the guitarists the wrong way..he's an old friend, a single guy, very smart and self absorbed and expects to report to everyone about His Week when he sees us, and regale us with band war stories etc., in strictly a one-way conversation. He's always been like that. So lately I've started tuning him out to get on with business, especially at rehearsals.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga
If I can't wank, no one can wank. That means no wanks around and the practices are actually much more productive.
I like the equal rights approach, although I find MODERATE amounts of goofing around is refreshing. Trouble with my band is we get along too well so there's too much blah blah between songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreggy View Post
One band I work with a lot has musicians rotating in on gigs based on their schedule, so on any given night you can get some people you haven't played with before. When I get new singers, I'll act like I have no clue how to do the gig. Like "Hey, how do all these medleys go?" or "I have no idea how to play the bridal dance tune."
LOL - great work, Spreggy! You are a bad, bad man :)
Old 05-07-2010, 06:11 AM

as a drummer i get alot of critisism when they are taking a break and talking , while i want to get a drum part down really quick or play drums and practice some stuff. drummers cant help it that they dont have a volume knob on their drumset unlike the guitarist who can turn the amp off and practice without worrying if hes interupting a conversation. but if your bandmates care about the band then they should be cool with you trying to get better
Old 05-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Pioneer Member

Both guitarists hate any china sounds. I always get the evil eye, even if it's a Steve Miller or Bonnie Raitt song that clearly has them in the album recordings. I play them anyway.

Also, on Friday night's jam party night (30-40 people), they get annoyed with me when I yell at them (guitarists again) for not calling out the song first. They just start and on many songs that causes me to come in late and look stupid. I call them on it every time and they get so annoyed.

One group of guys I play with get annoyed when I spend more than 1 minute tuning my drums, yet they tune their guitars incessantly.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Platinum Member

Only thing I do that annoy them is playing all the time. Once I get started, itīs difficult to stop :(. I stopped doing it live, but when weīre jamming in the studio, itīs so hard to stay off.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbike View Post
the other thing I do that annoys my bandmates is ask for a way to leave my drumset. I don't know how many times I set up in a corner and they put their amps right next to me so there is no way out. then they get "annoyed" that I have to move their amp so I can get up from behind the kit. my kick is only 14" deep and my whole kit fits on a 3'x2' bar mat and they still manage to cram all the gear next to me.
All I ask for is that my elbows don't touch any walls and that I've got a way to get behind my kit double-fisted. I know that can be a lot to ask at some venues I've played and I'll compromise on the getting behind the kit issue, but the guys somehow just don't understand that it's really a drag to have your elbows hitting something all night.

It's always a blast when we show up at a new place and see we have little room to work with and I get the "we'll have to pare down" routine. Somehow this never translates into the omission of a backup guitar sitting on a stand on-stage.

I made the mistake of becoming quite vocal about this issue, which turned into "we know what will set Jer off"...
Old 05-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Silver Member

Show up for rehearsal LOL

http://www.youtube.com/user/slfsc
Old 05-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer View Post
All I ask for is that my elbows don't touch any walls and that I've got a way to get behind my kit double-fisted. I know that can be a lot to ask at some venues I've played and I'll compromise on the getting behind the kit issue, but the guys somehow just don't understand that it's really a drag to have your elbows hitting something all night.

It's always a blast when we show up at a new place and see we have little room to work with and I get the "we'll have to pare down" routine. Somehow this never translates into the omission of a backup guitar sitting on a stand on-stage.

I made the mistake of becoming quite vocal about this issue, which turned into "we know what will set Jer off"...
Right on, Jer! Everyone thinks the drummers are there to poop on, way to stand up for yourself!
Old 05-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreggy View Post
Right on, Jer! Everyone thinks the drummers are there to poop on, way to stand up for yourself!
Well, yes thanks, but now it's pretty much the first thing anyone says showing up for a gig... "Jer, take the corner and push back as far as you can", or maybe the classic; "we'd have more room if your kit wasn't so big, can you loose some stuff?"

They also never seem to appreciate when I ask them to play without a string or 2 on their guitars... I mean, c'mon - the number of redundant notes on a guitar is pretty insane, and you only need 3 notes to make a chord and only have 4 fingers...
Old 05-07-2010, 06:43 PM

Wanking at band practice would definetly be annoying. Oh wait, I am thinking about something else.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:42 PM
BigSteve

I've been working with a friend writing songs and recording drum tracks for them. We don't live near each other so this is not at a band practice were we are together. So I sent him drum tracks for a particular song and withheld the click track. When he called me and asked about the click track I told him to just set the internal metrone on the porta studio he's using to 137bpm, (song was actually at 134bpm!), and waited for him to see if he could figure it out. It took a couple of hours but he called me back and was in a panic cause the tracks were off tempo. I had to let him in on the tempo and had a good laugh over it. Evil grin!
Old 05-07-2010, 11:49 PM
aceface

Gay looking Keyboard players, who think they are good, but are in fact shit, but still carry on as he thinks everyone is looking at him and thinking how great he is, when infact they are laughing at how much of a prick he actually looks.

Hope i dont sound bitter.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface View Post
Gay looking Keyboard players, who think they are good, but are in fact shit, but still carry on as he thinks everyone is looking at him and thinking how great he is, when infact they are laughing at how much of a prick he actually looks.

Please don't use that kind of language here.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface View Post

Bitter isn't the first word that springs to mind.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer View Post
Well, yes thanks, but now it's pretty much the first thing anyone says showing up for a gig... "Jer, take the corner and push back as far as you can", or maybe the classic; "we'd have more room if your kit wasn't so big, can you loose some stuff?"

They also never seem to appreciate when I ask them to play without a string or 2 on their guitars... I mean, c'mon - the number of redundant notes on a guitar is pretty insane, and you only need 3 notes to make a chord and only have 4 fingers...
I get the same feeling when the sound guy doesn't wanna mic the toms in a situation when he should. I told one guy "No problem, I'll put the toms back in the car."

Anyways, tonight was my first gig back with the wedding band since taking the winter off, and I think my rusty chops annoyed them plenty. ;P
Old 05-09-2010, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member

A little pitter-patter on the snare while real musician A is going blue in the face trying to explain to real musician B, that there is a B# in there just before the D.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:29 PM

A former guitarist "aquaintance" once told me that he had seen drummers playing on much smaller kits than mine who sounded better than me. I pointed out that Jimi Hendrix used an old guitar which he played back to front and still sounded better than him! (We don`t speak much anymore!!)
The singer in my current band complains constantly about how loud my cymbals are and always asks me to hit them a little quieter. This is just as he announces to the audience that we will now play Song 2 by Blur??? Somehow, the more he complains the harder I seem to hit them:)
But I guess my favourite trick is to turn up to practise early and hide the beer which we keep in the band room. No matter how many times I do this, they never seem to find it funny?
Old 05-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteve View Post
I've been working with a friend writing songs and recording drum tracks for them. We don't live near each other so this is not at a band practice were we are together. So I sent him drum tracks for a particular song and withheld the click track. When he called me and asked about the click track I told him to just set the internal metrone on the porta studio he's using to 137bpm, (song was actually at 134bpm!), and waited for him to see if he could figure it out. It took a couple of hours but he called me back and was in a panic cause the tracks were off tempo. I had to let him in on the tempo and had a good laugh over it. Evil grin!
LOL. Well you may have an evil grin, Steve, because that was wicked! What possessed you to be so naughty ... still laughing ... love it :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aydee
A little pitter-patter on the snare while real musician A is going blue in the face trying to explain to real musician B, that there is a B# in there just before the D.
Abe, I do exactly the same thing. My band mates are familiar with the pitter-patter of little snares. Also little hi hats, when I'm trying to be extra considerate. It's weird, in those situations, the lightest touches feel as though they're amplified through a Marshall stack. I'm barely touching the drum yet the others are raising their voices to talk over it.

Ah, that's something I miss about not playing keys any more ... membership of the exclusive tuned instruments club. Also being able to flubb my lines without creating panic in the ranks :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreggy
I get the same feeling when the sound guy doesn't wanna mic the toms in a situation when he should.
Ouch! You just brought back some bad memories. That used to drive me nuts but I wasn't as assertive as you. If the gig was being recorded you'd hear these holes where the toms should be. This devaluation of toms is madness. How about we mute the guitarist's D and G strings? Who needs 'em - they still have the tops and bottoms, right? I found it to be part of that mid-80s mentality, ie. drum kit = kick and snare ... unless you had Simmons toms, of course, in which case they'd be thrilled to have trendy cannons to play with.

Darn unmusical ingrates ... grrr!
Old 05-09-2010, 04:05 PM
wy yung

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post

Aydee, I love you, but this is why drummers get a bad name.

To any beginners reading this terrible, hopless thread, do not do this!

Sit back. Offer suggestions. Get involved. But DO NOT prattle away on your kit while people are trying to communicate!

It is the height of bad manners.