Mikelessons.com or stephensdrumshed.com

smilton

Has anyone ever tried the online live lessons at either mikeslessons.com or stephensdrumshed.com? Are they quality lessons? They are relatively inexpensive ($20 a month). I am serving a year in americorp this year and paying $40 a lesson is just not going to be an option for me right now so those lessons would be a little more realistic for me.

Not personally, but I know there's quite a few members here who have and they all speak very highly of Mike Johnston's lessons. I've seen many of his youtube clips and I'm very impressed with his teaching style. If I was interested, I wouldn't hesitate.

Have never heard of Stephensdrumshed though. Can't comment there, sorry.

Thanks for the reply! I will probably go with Mike Johnston because of some of his youtube videos I've seen. Stephens Drum Shed was something that I came across while watching some of Mike's lessons and I thought it would be a good idea to ask. Thanks again.

I've been following Stephen Taylor since he first started online lessons. The guy has an infectious personality and knows his stuff. I like Mike a lot too, and he even responded to me personally (as big as he is) when I was having some trouble with playing a video I bought.

To me, I learn and retain more from Stephen. He goes into incredible detail and starts very slow. Mikes videos look great, he's a phenomenal drummer and teacher, but Stephen just works for me better. I also feel that you get more for your money with him. Just my opinion, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Hey SMilton...

Sorry, I just saw this or I would have responded sooner!

Yea, sounds like online lessons are the way to go for your situation. I would be honored to have you in the live lessons...I livestream 7 times a week (2 beginner/2 intermediate/2 advanced and a student video review). There is a live time chat board for you to ask questions in real time and get answers. The video vault (where all past lessons are stored for you to view anytime) has just been re-vamped. It has faster loading times now and the videos are viewable on iPhone, iPad, PC, Mac, or any other smart phone. Each lesson comes with a PDF sheet music to accompany it. And lastly, we've got a student YouTube channel that you can post your videos to so I can review them and see your improvement. If you have anymore questions I would be more than happy to chat over the phone (615.818.4222) or through email ([email protected])

Whatever you do, please stay in lessons regularly. Mike is a great teacher...so are the guys at Drumeo. Whether with me or someone else, always keep learning! I also email out a free lesson each week...you can sign up for that at http://www.StephensDrumShed.com/TheseLessonsDontSuck

Hopefully that cleared some things up and I hope to hear from you soon one way or the other!

-Stephen T.
StephensDrumShed.com

Has anyone ever tried the online live lessons at either mikeslessons.com or stephensdrumshed.com? Are they quality lessons? They are relatively inexpensive ($20 a month). I am serving a year in americorp this year and paying $40 a lesson is just not going to be an option for me right now so those lessons would be a little more realistic for me.

Yup! I sent you a PM, I'me a student of both :)

Fits my life and schedule better to do online lessons, been about 18 months and I'm very happy with my progress, but it's always up to you to take what you learn and practice and apply.

You can't lose with either one.

I love Stephens lessons, puts up some great stuff, grooves to well known songs in 1 minute you can learn and free email lessons.

He also puts up WAY more free youtube videos than Mike Johnston does. I like what Mike does, he has some very good lesson ideas but Stephen uploads a heap more than him, and on a regular basis.

Thanks to this thread, I signed up for Stephens Online Drum Lessons and I think the price is extremely affordable and well worth it. Stephen has already answered a ton of my drum related questions via email and has been extremely helpful and professional. There are a ton of drum lesson videos in the lesson archive. I haven't had a chance to catch a live lesson yet, but I can give a review after I catch the first one on Tuesday if anyone is interested. Even without watching a live lesson, I would recommend his site to anyone interested in online drum lessons.

I've used mikeslessons for a good period. His lessons are well contained and involve simple step by step complexity to get to the end. He does 3 lessons a week and his drum camps in Sacramento are extremely worthwhile.

Overall a bit tricky if you are an absolute beginner but for everyone else there's plenty there to get stuck into. If you upload your own videos Mike will review them so there's some feedback on your playing. Incredible value for money.

Peace
Davo

Just wondering if the lessons on Mike's site have notation as well. I believe Stephens Drum School has sheet music of the exercises. That may be a deciding factor. After the subscription runs out, it would be nice to have a copy of all of the sheet music to keep.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

You bet. Every lesson (where it's applicable) comes with a downloadable PDF of the sheet music for that lesson. I encourage all of my students in my online drum lessons to download the music and keep it in a binder to refer back to. As a matter of fact, the lesson I taught last night referred back to a Mambo workout that we had done a couple of months before.

One of you guys also mentioned video reviews and feedback...I do student reviews every 2 weeks of the videos my students have uploaded to the student youtube channel. What good is a lesson with no feedback? The answer is zero.

Also, you might want to sign up for the free weekly email lesson that I send out. No spam, no marketing, just a drum lesson...PDF of an exercise and an audio or video demonstrating it. Just my way of saying thanks to everyone for watching the lessons.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions...I'm more than happy to answer them.

Online Drum Lessons

Just wondering if the lessons on Mike's site have notation as well. I believe Stephens Drum School has sheet music of the exercises. That may be a deciding factor. After the subscription runs out, it would be nice to have a copy of all of the sheet music to keep.

Jeff

Jeff, all the "live lessons" come with pdf and mp3 loops (if applicable) for mikeslessons.com
also he recently started adding pdf files to some of his ipod lessons that can be bought separately, in the past it was just the video which for most people is good enough, but many people requested pdf files too so he started adding them to some of the recent lessons.

As I mentioned, i'm part of both and enjoying them equally, both have their own vibes and because of their different styles of teaching, it keeps me interested in this craft. The one huge point for Mike and Stephen is that they are both a "positive" force in the drumming world and encourage the same positive atmosphere and attitude with their students.

I'm having a blast with them and I'm sure I'll be with them for some time!

For me it is Stephen's Drumshed. Hands down. You won't find a more supportive teacher. I wrote an extensive testimonial for his website. Its at www.stepwhnsdrumshed.com. I'm Marcus Lewis from Dallas, TX if you want to check it out. I was following him on YouTube before he started the Drumshed. I was one of the first to join. I can't say enough good about it. You will love it. I promise. He is the best teacher and that is the best drumming community. Jump in and see. I will tell you this I pay more than the regular price just because I believe so strongly in what he is doing.

I will tell you this I pay more than the regular price just because I believe so strongly in what he is doing.

Why in the world would you do that? and how did it come about that you pay more?

Which one will I have a better chance at resolving a problem with my bass drum playing? Does either of them get to 1 on 1 type thing, do you pay extra for that if it's even offered?

I have had a few personal instructors here look at my foor while playing and none of them offered any real help other than play it slow and it will come to you in time. Problem is at a certain speed I lose it and it has been this way for a long long time. No matter how slow and long I play it. All I am basically talking about is quick doubles with one foot while rh is on the upstroke on the hi hats.
What is a reasonable speed I should expect to play this type groove at flat footed for a whole song before having to switch to heel up? 100 110 150??

Think Barracuda, listen to the music(doobie brothers), walk this way etc..

+1 for mikeslessons

Phenomenal teacher and excellent teaching style.

My advice... try them both and see for yourself. I know in Mikes case you can try it and cancel anytime without any kind of penalty or terms and conditions fluff. Give Mike a try for a month and then try Stephen for a month if he allows for "in and out privileges".

One thing I do know is Mike has been doing the online thing longer. Whether or not that relates to more experience "on camera" from a teaching standpoint is however you want to take it. And, Mike offers multiple camera angles all in HD with studio staff on hand to change camera angles in real time as well as a chat screener to filter questions that will be answered live at the end of each lesson.

And, yes, PDF notation for every lesson as well as MP3's. Can't beat it, imo.

Hope this helps.

I'm familiar with Mike's to a degree. I've bought a handful of his down-loadable lessons, and everything I've gotten has been money well spent.

Why in the world would you do that? and how did it come about that you pay more?

Which one will I have a better chance at resolving a problem with my bass drum playing? Does either of them get to 1 on 1 type thing, do you pay extra for that if it's even offered?

I have had a few personal instructors here look at my foor while playing and none of them offered any real help other than play it slow and it will come to you in time. Problem is at a certain speed I lose it and it has been this way for a long long time. No matter how slow and long I play it. All I am basically talking about is quick doubles with one foot while rh is on the upstroke on the hi hats.
What is a reasonable speed I should expect to play this type groove at flat footed for a whole song before having to switch to heel up? 100 110 150??

Think Barracuda, listen to the music(doobie brothers), walk this way etc..

In answer to your questions...yes, if you need a one on one lesson I do offer them at an additional charge (same as any other teacher). That being said, 99.9% of my students issues can be resolved by them uploading a video to the student you tube channel for my review. I do student reviews every 2 weeks, more if needed. If you'll upload a video for me to check out and send me the link, I'll be more than happy to look at it and help you out, even without a subscription. I promise, I can offer you "real" help ;^)

Hope that answers some of your questions.

Online Drum Lessons with Stephen Taylor

+1 for mikeslessons

Phenomenal teacher and excellent teaching style.

My advice... try them both and see for yourself. I know in Mikes case you can try it and cancel anytime without any kind of penalty or terms and conditions fluff. Give Mike a try for a month and then try Stephen for a month if he allows for "in and out privileges".

One thing I do know is Mike has been doing the online thing longer. Whether or not that relates to more experience "on camera" from a teaching standpoint is however you want to take it. And, Mike offers multiple camera angles all in HD with studio staff on hand to change camera angles in real time as well as a chat screener to filter questions that will be answered live at the end of each lesson.

And, yes, PDF notation for every lesson as well as MP3's. Can't beat it, imo.

Hope this helps.

Lol, great advice! I think everyone should find the teacher that suits them best. And in answer to your questions...Yes, every student can come and go as they'd like with no penalties. As matter of fact, I'm offering a 7 day free trial for the live lessons, no strings attached. Jump in, check it out. If you like it, stick around. If not, no harm done. Easy way for you to see if my lessons are a fit for you. All of my lessons come with a PDF of the sheet music and a chat board where I answer all questions in real time as the lesson proceeds (no screening...they ALL get answered).

Hope that helps!

Online Drum Lessons with Stephen Taylor

Back