Jojo swithes to Evans

I think at his level, the main reason is money. Thats just what i think. Both heads are great you know, its how you tune, and im guessing that guy can tune!

Yes, I don't know why he'd switch to Evans. They really are the "deadest" heads on the market. Very durable, yes, but not very resonant heads at all when compared to Remo Ambassadors or Aquarian Modern Vintages or the like.

Then again, Jojo's Sonor kit in the studio shots on his Modern Weapons instructional DVD sounds rather dead--very muted.

As much as I dislike Evans heads for whatever reason, I think they're a really good choice for his kind of playing. Plus Evans and Sabian always seem to go together in my mind - both are usually kinda dead and cold, and perhaps darker. And too many models to choose from. Too bad Aquarian didn't get him!

And maybe remo wouldnt back him, he wants to collaborate. And the heads he wants will probably not be suited to most drummers! Hearing him talk about the tones he wants, really high pitched, very electronic. Don't think they took him on the the profit side of things, doubt any head he makes will appeal to everyone! ALthough I love his tom sound at the moment, pitty he's changing

I can't speak for Jojo personally but I was present for the interview and did speak with him about it. As he mentioned, he is constantly experimenting and looking to try new things. He has been particularly impressed by the products that we offer that are "off the beaten trail" such as the Hybrid and Hydraulic heads. Jojo is also excited about some new possibilities in the future.

I bet a bunch of artists will be headed to Evans soon, just watch....

Vic Firth's AR guy is now working for Evans, so he is probably calling a lot of his former artists with vic and pitching Evans to them... this kind of thing happens all the time. When I left Regal Tip, they hired a guy in my place who worked for Sonor/Sabian.... as soon as he was brought in Regal signed a bunch of guys who are Sonor and Sabian players...

Maybe he likes the sound. It could happen . . .

Last edited:
I bet a bunch of artists will be headed to Evans soon, just watch....

Vic Firth's AR guy is now working for Evans, so he is probably calling a lot of his former artists with vic and pitching Evans to them... this kind of thing happens all the time. When I left Regal Tip, they hired a guy in my place who worked for Sonor/Sabian.... as soon as he was brought in Regal signed a bunch of guys who are Sonor and Sabian players...

Winner winner chicken dinner. Talking to the endorsers I know its rarely a gear issue.

I think at his level, the main reason is money. Thats just what i think. Both heads are great you know, its how you tune, and im guessing that guy can tune!

Unless you know for a fact that Evans pay their artists, don't make claims about it being for the money. Very few companies pay their artists to play their brands (DDrum is the only one I can think of, and even that is really only going by what I've heard from other sources, not DDrum directly).

More often than not, artists switch because of quality (subjective or objective), availability on the road, the way companies treat them and various other things. Jojo would get free drumheads regardless of what company he used, so maybe he found that he liked Evans better, or maybe Evans was able to get him heads while he was on the road in obscure countries. Maybe he didn't like the artist relations guy at Remo. Who knows?

Unless you know for a fact that Evans pay their artists, don't make claims about it being for the money. Very few companies pay their artists to play their brands (DDrum is the only one I can think of, and even that is really only going by what I've heard from other sources, not DDrum directly).

More often than not, artists switch because of quality (subjective or objective), availability on the road, the way companies treat them and various other things. Jojo would get free drumheads regardless of what company he used, so maybe he found that he liked Evans better, or maybe Evans was able to get him heads while he was on the road in obscure countries. Maybe he didn't like the artist relations guy at Remo. Who knows?

Really, why can't I make claims? Nobody knows the real reason, and this is just a little forum! I'm just saying that could be the case, its not like he will read my comment and get down on himself. No offence meant you know! But who knows, I just cant wait to see if there is going to be a difference in his sound, which i really liked

Yes, I don't know why he'd switch to Evans. They really are the "deadest" heads on the market. Very durable, yes, but not very resonant heads at all when compared to Remo Ambassadors or Aquarian Modern Vintages or the like.

Then again, Jojo's Sonor kit in the studio shots on his Modern Weapons instructional DVD sounds rather dead--very muted.

I don't know about that. Maybe it's just me, but other than the durability factor (I like how the white coating lasts longer on the Evans), I just can't tell if Evans is actually more dead than Remo. They both sound the same to me. One of my snares has a Vintage Emperor on it and another has a coated G2, both have the Evans snare side head, and both drums are roughly the same, and I've made them sound alike. Are Evans really dead-er?

Back