Evans G2 over G1s.

McShmoopy

Hey guys, so i found an insane deal for Evans G2 over G1 Heads, for 12 13 and 16 inch toms. The price was only £35! Brand new! Thank you Slave to the Beat UK

But enough of that, I slapped them on my toms but cant really get a nice low end sound without me terribly messing up the tunings with annoying overtones if I hit hard enough, I can only manage to get fairly high sounds. And I also got an Evans Torque Key, gotta say, even though I lubricated my lugs up rather nicely, am a bit dissapointed. It gets you into a tuning range but its COMPLETELY off.

Any tips on how it would be easier to tune these toms to get a nice low end? I assume seeing as thier double ply it should be fairly easy to get a nice low tone, nothing too low just something in the middle.

Edit: I also have Evans E Rings over the tops, so it is a pretty bad sound considering thier on the top and I have SEATED the heads.

What type of drums are you putting them on? I have that combination on two of my kits and they sound terrific. Are they clear G1 and G2s?

Dennis

Yeah theyre Evans Clear G2 and G1's. THe G2 being the batter and G1 the resonant. Im putting them on a CB Drum Kit, no actual problem with them such as Hoop Distortion etc.

And cant watch the video atm simple as Im in school but Ill check it out when Im back.

One, don't "seat" heads, they don't need it and Evans doesn't recommend it.

Two, don't "lubricate" your tension rods unless you want to spend the rest of your life tuning.

Three, run each tom up from finger-tight very gradually, keeping both heads at the same pitch and the lug-to-lug tuning decent. No more than 1/4 turn on every tension rod at a time. Once you get a usable note, strike the batter after each 1/4 turn on every tension rod. Before long you'll reach the sweet spot. You can't miss it, the drum will be louder and have more sustain.

G2s over G1s ought to be able to give you what you want. The better you do the lug-to-lug tuning the fewer overtones you'll have. If you do it by ear rather than by the torque wrench you'll get better results.

Thanks DrumDad! It worked perfectly It appears the Torque Key was an unfortute waste of cash however I can find some uses for it, thanks a bunch guys. My kit sounds phenomenol now (For a CB Kit)

Thanks DrumDad! It worked perfectly It appears the Torque Key was an unfortute waste of cash however I can find some uses for it, thanks a bunch guys. My kit sounds phenomenol now (For a CB Kit)

I just adore happy endings. ;-)

Or, you could think of it as a cheap education given its (unintended) educational value!

In my whole life I don't seem to have been able to learn anything until I'd spent a lot of money first. Oh well!

Hey drumtechdad,
I always value your in-depth info on drumheads and tuning, you really seem to know your stuff. BTW, have you had any experience with the Evans clear Power Dots on toms? I'm running EC2's over EC resos on my fiberglass (Blaemire) kit, but I'm thinking of running these on my smaller toms (8,10,12).
http://store.daddario.com/category/339122/Power_Center

BTW McShmoopy, glad everything worked out for you.

Attachments

• x01_339123.jpg
    x01_339123.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 310
Sorry, Mendozart, I've never heard them. Recommend you try just one, for one drum, if you don't know if you'll like it or not. That way if you don't you're not out a lot of money.

What is it about your rack toms you'd like to change?

Sorry, Mendozart, I've never heard them. Recommend you try just one, for one drum, if you don't know if you'll like it or not. That way if you don't you're not out a lot of money.

What is it about your rack toms you'd like to change?

I love the 2-ply heads on the 13,15,16 toms, but I think they're too dead on the smaller toms. I will probably pick up a 12" Power dot and try it. I play 90% un-miced gigs, so I would like the extra volume. These might even be good all the way around, as the smaller sizes (6"-12") are 10 mil, and the larger (13"-18") are 12 mil. I had actually thought of trying some Remo black dots (old school), but these look a little cooler.

I love the 2-ply heads on the 13,15,16 toms, but I think they're too dead on the smaller toms. I will probably pick up a 12" Power dot and try it. I play 90% un-miced gigs, so I would like the extra volume. These might even be good all the way around, as the smaller sizes (6"-12") are 10 mil, and the larger (13"-18") are 12 mil. I had actually thought of trying some Remo black dots (old school), but these look a little cooler.

I wouldn't recommend using the EC2 heads on your smaller toms if you're seeking serious resonance. Depending on the sound you're looking for, check out the G Plus if you'd like to get some of the durability of a 2-ply with the resonance and tone of a single ply. They're single ply, 12mil heads that fill the gap between G1's and G2/EC2's.

I wouldn't recommend using the EC2 heads on your smaller toms if you're seeking serious resonance. Depending on the sound you're looking for, check out the G Plus if you'd like to get some of the durability of a 2-ply with the resonance and tone of a single ply. They're single ply, 12mil heads that fill the gap between G1's and G2/EC2's.
I'm liking the G plus's on the smaller sizes. Check out my video clip of that sound on smaller toms http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyWG-eCo2uc&feature=related

Back