NAMM pics

lsits

Gold Member
From Friday, the 25th:
Snare drum presented to Alan White from Ludwig.
NAMM2013061_zps10bdce12.jpg

Heavy metal kit.
NAMM2013032_zpsd4bf830a.jpg

Taye snare.
NAMM2013036_zps198a05a0.jpg

Thin Lizzy kit.
NAMM2013015_zps07888454.jpg

Mapex kit.
NAMM2013037_zps9c2751b9.jpg

More:
For the bad boys (and girls).
NAMM2013033_zpsb57f8eb1.jpg

Lit up kit.
NAMM2013039_zps5ffa43d3.jpg

Taylor's kit.
NAMM2013042_zps34a745da.jpg

Renowns in White Satin finish.
NAMM2013046_zps07539659.jpg

Alan White being presented with a custom etched snare by Ludwig celebrating 40 years together.
NAMM2013055_zps8f1619e5.jpg

And more:
New Yamaha kit
NAMM2013063_zps49d6c35e.jpg

Sonor
NAMM2013067_zpsd0624a55.jpg

Craviotto
NAMM2013069_zpsb61a54e8.jpg

Close-up
NAMM2013070_zpsa61330c8.jpg

Finally, one of me and the awesome Ludwig kit
NAMM2013066_zps7b642676.jpg

Ludwig's new Atlas suspension mount. Thanks to Bermuda for giving Adam and me a guided tour of the Ludwig booth.
NAMM2013048_zpsce06964e.jpg

The technical details.
NAMM2013051_zpsa6c6fcaa.jpg

RC goodness.
NAMM2013064_zpsfb0fe7f9.jpg

Paiste cymbal tower
NAMM2013030_zpsc91428db.jpg

For those of you who can't decide between an 18 or a 24, get both.
NAMM2013027_zpsb2ce7a62.jpg

Niiiice, all of those kits have something that I really like about them.

That satin white Gretsch kit though is just straight up classy.

Good stuff, really like the looks of the Yammie and Craviotto kits.

The last kit looks pretty interesting though. Bass drum in a Bass drum...hmmm

The new Ludwig Atlas tom mounts really intrigue me. I never liked band type tom mounts on smaller toms 14" diameter and under.

I've been on the edge of buying a "rock" Renown setup for a while...but I'm definitely waiting for the satin white w/ round badges, now. Damn! There's just something about chrome on white drums...supa sexy.

Taylor Hawkins is going to bring back the concert tom!? There's a trend I'll never follow.

Cool pics. Thought I spied Wailin Smash's cymbal tree amongst those pics.

Will no one tell us how the perspex kit with the inner drums sounded?

Vince, I agree with you about the white Gretschs. The heavy metal kit with Robbie the robot was cool too ;)

BTW, great signature, Isits.

Anyone notice the boom arm holding the two china cymbals in the Yamaha pic? any word on that? Same one in the craviatto pic

Edit: Just found it on yamaha's site. New infinite adjustable tilter. Kind of like the design

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/drums/hardware/cymbal-stands/cs865/?mode=model

Yes, that looks really nice. I've been spoiled by the DW infinite tilters that really work. This looks like Yamaha came up with something they can put their name on. That is, it looks like it's easy to adjust, will stay, and hold up over the years.

This was my first time at NAMM. I have a friend who works at the Gretsch custom guitar shop who got me a pass. You guys are noticing lots more details than I did in these pics. After a while I kind of went into sensory overload. There's just too much cool stuff. I didn't even come close to seeing all that was there. Think I got most of the drum area.

One thing I noticed about the Sonor kit pictured avove was that you don't need a key to tune the bass drum. You just turn a knob.

You've probably heard it a million times, but the pictures really don't do justice to the finish of these kits. The Sonor kit in particular has a stunning, if somewhat subdued look. Nothing subdued about the Mapex kit, but equally stunning. The Thin Lizzy kit by Natal was on a platform about 20 feet in the air and I could see from quite a ways away how nice it looked. It got better as I got closer. Very nice tangerine glass laquer.

I wasn't able to see how the small bass drum was mounted inside the large bass drum on the SJC kit. There was a girl playing it and I didn't want to be obtrusive.

Last edited:
Cool pics. Thought I spied Wailin Smash's cymbal tree amongst those pics.

Will no one tell us how the perspex kit with the inner drums sounded?

Vince, I agree with you about the white Gretschs. The heavy metal kit with Robbie the robot was cool too ;)

BTW, great signature, Isits.

The cartoon drums weren't called a heavy metal kit. That's a description I gave them. I think it would be cool to see a hard rock band with these drums and Hello Kitty guitars.

Am I alone in thinking that the tension rods on that ludwig snare look like hardware store bolts? Like zinc plated crap instead of chrome or nickel? Odd... All thread too, no smooth shaft where threads arent needed, which (now that someone here tuned me in to it) really is the easy way out and just looks cheap. I almost think those must have been a last minute change for a snare that nice.

I would take it though.

Took a closer look at the Craviotto rack tom and it looks like it has that isolation mount that was discussed in another thread. I didn't hear what it sounded like, but even if I did I wouldn't be able to discern the sound from all the other noise that was going on all around.

Is that "RC goodness" pic Carter Beaufort's kit (with left-side ride and golf gloves and all...)?

Back