Simulated calfskin -

DonVira

Can anyone help? I'm interested in getting a good Sonny Payne sound out of my kik. Has anyone tried the *Remo powerstroke 3 fiberskyn, or the *Fiberskyn 3 FA Bass drum head? Or calfskin? Or... anything else you would recommend?

Bass drum heads are expensive, so I appreciate your advise.

Thanks,
Don

I have the Fiberskyn PS3 on the cherry/gum 22x18 bass drum. It's pretty groovy. It's a big "round" sound. Kinda lacks punch for rock stuff, but it's really nice for other sorts of music... just wish I could find some folks to play "other sorts of music"!

When I had the reso head tuned lower, it would shake the house. :)

-Ryan

I just put Fiberskyn heads on a snare and two toms. They sound great, but two of them are delaminating after less than a month....I don't know how a Fiberskyn will sound on the kick, but just a word of warning about delaminations.

Right after I bought my Fiberskyn heads I heard about this de-lam problem but am happy to say I had no problems. I had them on my four toms and then change the snare head to one without any issues. I took them off after about four months because I just didn't like the sound. They do look nice.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. It was helpful. I'm trying the Fiberskyn Powerstroke 3. Just ordered it. I'll let you know.
Don

Back