how to preserve double pedal?

JamesLyrie-Stewart

ive brought a pair of pearl Demon Drive recently. and i want to know how to keep my pedal in good condition. damp weather is coming, i don't want my pedals to be covered with rust! and how long should i oil them? where should i oil?? or where should be given more care?? i'll be grateful for all the suggestions! THANKS! XD

Just follow the instructions you recieved with the pedal and it should be just fine. I oil mine about every month and a half if it helps.

Yes, don't worry too much. The oiling intervals could even be longer than 1.5 months I'd say. But oiling can also help avoiding/reducing moise produced by operating the pedals. I have my pedal for 15-16 months, I've oiled it 1-2 times and I'm playing for hours almost every day. (It does squeak - mostly from the springs - which I don't care for.) They are built for being played, this should be your focus.

I haven't touch my eliminators in years.. If it starts to squeak I'll oil it but until then I'm leaving them be.

I don't really mess with my pedal or adjust anything. I like it just the way it is and been playing it that way for years.

Alot of drummers angle their hi-hat and slave pedal so that they're turning away from the rest of their kit. It's a silly way to position yourself on your kit & another disadvantage is wearing out the joints either side of the shaft. I have a demon drive too and I'm not sure if this affects the z link shaft as much but I would avoid it anyway.

Also make sure when you attach the shaft and tighten the tension rods that you are tightening the rod onto the flat spot it's supposed to go on, not the corner where it meets the rounded part. Don't over tighten the tension rods that allow you to adjust the shaft length either.

I play with socks but if I wore shoes I'd be mindful of dirt and gravel in them. And I'm weary of keeping my foot in line with the footboard so as not to put too much pressure on the edge/side. Over time that could wear out the hinges.

Clean carpet and stick shavings off every few months. No idea how often you should use the oil but the directions are in the manual. I've only used it once, not really sure if there is much of a need.

<Alot of drummers angle their hi-hat and slave pedal so that they're turning away from the rest of their kit. It's a silly way to position yourself on your kit & another disadvantage is wearing out the joints either side of the shaft.> I have a demon drive too and I'm not sure if this affects the z link shaft as much but I would avoid it anyway.

<Also make sure when you attach the shaft and tighten the tension rods that you are tightening the rod onto the flat spot it's supposed to go on, not the corner where it meets the rounded part. Don't over tighten the tension rods that allow you to adjust the shaft length either.>

I play with socks but if I wore shoes I'd be mindful of dirt and gravel in them.< And I'm weary of keeping my foot in line with the footboard so as not to put too much pressure on the edge/side. Over time that could wear out the hinges.>

im very sorry that i cannot comprehend some of the contents, which i've <> them. can you explain it in another way?? im sorry...im a Chinese, i know the meaning of all the words aloft but i just can't get what you mean! XD

Does everyone just oil the moving joints? Or chain as well?

I would feel the chain wouldn't be a good idea, especially on my Eliminators, as it comes in contact with the felt on my Cams.

There is no point in oiling chains in elims. Structure of cam makes it a perfect home for a chain :)

Does everyone just oil the moving joints? Or chain as well?

I would feel the chain wouldn't be a good idea, especially on my Eliminators, as it comes in contact with the felt on my Cams.

Demon Drives don't have a chain. But that aside, when I played chain driven pedals I would also oil the links on the chain too. Cam or no cam, whenever you have metal on metal (as per chain links, hinges or any other "pivot" point), that is where friction occurs and over time the factory applied lube will become ineffective.....potentially causing squeaking or dust/grime build up or rust deposits et al.

A small drop of sewing machine oil once every few years ensures your pedals stay in good working order and is not enough to damage the felt on the cam. You only need a tiny little drop at each point........no need to squeeze out half the bottle.

im very sorry that i cannot comprehend some of the contents, which i've <> them. can you explain it in another way?? im sorry...im a Chinese, i know the meaning of all the words aloft but i just can't get what you mean! XD

Sit facing the direction of your bass drum and keep your pedals as straight as possible, because the joints on the shaft can wear out.

Tighten the screws on the shaft properly.

Put your foot on the center of the pedal - don't put your foot on the side/edge of the pedal when you play because it will wear out the hinge over time.

Back