Pearl Export Ex

Bram

I am asked to buy heads for school's set.
It's a Pearl Export Ex.
Should I go with Emperors on the toms and CS Batter on snare, or Ambassador on the snare, or something else?

The bass is good, and there is no money for resos, but I think it will work out with the stock resos.

Bram

Can only speak for myself here. I played an export kit for years in the 90's and found emperors (either coated or clear) over clear ambassador reso's to be my favourite head choice for these drums. I know you don't need heads for the bass drum, but i found PS3's worked well too, should you look to upgrade these in the future. I use coated emperors an all my snares, but it's really a personal choice.

I don't think you can go wrong with the emps for these drums as some exports (especially those from the early 90's) can have some overtones that are hard to control and I found the 2 ply heads worked well to minimise this.

Good luck with your choice.

Being that it is a school kit, I would go with the TOUGH two ply Emps. They sound fine also. Ambassador on the snare is a good choice. You may want to try a Remo PowerStroke III for snare batter. Sounds good and its durable.

emperor on toms is a really good choice , but for the snare I woludn't buy any single ply head , you need a stronger head , coated emperor o emperor x are really good choices

How many plies are the Pearl Protone coated snare batter heads??
That's the snare head, and I cant get a good sound out of the snare.

Bobdadruma: Do you really mean PSIII for snare batter, or for bass batter?

Bram

Hi,

I think we should go for the following head setup:

--Toms--
Batter: Remo Emperor (Clear)
Reso: Remo Ambassador (Clear)

--Snare--
Batter: Evans Genera HD (Coated)
Reso: Evans 300 Hazy

(But plz ppl, help us making a good decision for our snaredrum, because we think it is very hard to find great heads that match the drum sound best.)

Then we will keep the bass just as it is, and we will try to get a very clean yet durable head setup.

Ps: for the people who think: what the F#%K are you talking about ''we'', well Bram and I are asked together to get a nice head setup for our school :p

Last edited:
Best sound I have heard on an export kit was when I sat in on a pro's export and he had evans coated g 2's and they sounded fantastic,better than many top line kits I have heard.

Hi guys,

We have bought a set of drumheads yesterday.
We have got the following setup:

Toms:
Batter: Remo Emperor clear
Reso: Remo Ambassador clear

Snare:
Batter: Evans Genera HD Dry
Reso: Evans Hazy 300 snare side

We would like to thank everybody who helped us with advice!

After the head adventure, we were asked to choose a new kit for a new music classroom :)

We chose for a Yamaha Tour Custom.
The finish is Ocean Blue.

10 x 8, 12 x 9 toms
16 x 16 floor
14 x 6 snare
22 x 17 bass

With Yamaha double braced hardware, and Masterwork Troy hats, ride and crash.
We know the cymbals are beginner cymbals, but they sound very good!!

Bram

We'll be moving this article to a new thread, because a drumkit doesn't belong in the heads and sticks section =D

New article can be found here

Last edited:
Back