Factory edge work: cost?

Does anyone know how much Ludwig charges for edge shaping? I'd like my 45s brought to a vintage style roundover. Thanks.

May be best just to find someone reputable locally. I had my drums redone and I had an option of edges. $150 for all seven drums.

I'll vouch for Precision. I've had them do a number of drums for me (and I'll be sending more off to them soon) and they have always done top quality work.

I've never heard of Ludwig offering re-edging services before.

I'm sure Ludwig could put their Club Date roundover on a Classic Maple shell, but you will get the work done much faster with an independent shop. I would also recommend Bill Detamore for quality work.

It's also worth noting that turning a 45 into a roundover means taking off some of the height on both ends of the shell. Maybe you'd lose 3/8-1/2" total, which isn't really a lot. But important to know.

Bermuda

It's also worth noting that turning a 45 into a roundover means taking off some of the height on both ends of the shell. Maybe you'd lose 3/8-1/2" total, which isn't really a lot. But important to know.

Bermuda

This is true. Moving from the current 45 degree edge (which goes pretty much right to the outside of the drum) to an edge where the peak is at the inside will require removing the old edge entirely. You can do an outside round over with a 45 degree inner edge and only have to take off maybe ~1/8" height on each side.

This is true. Moving from the current 45 degree edge (which goes pretty much right to the outside of the drum) to an edge where the peak is at the inside will require removing the old edge entirely. You can do an outside round over with a 45 degree inner edge and only have to take off maybe ~1/8" height on each side.

I've had drums re-edged...more than once, and when it was all done, it created a problem with my tension rods being too long. Easy enough fix, just put machine nuts under the rods. I mean buy shorter rods lol. I never did that, use nuts as spacers, nope not me! That's uncouth :p

Sometimes the lugs are real close too after edging, especially on snares where they are tuned much tighter than toms a lot of times. That's a far worse problem, especially on the reso side where the hoops can get too close to the lugs. No collar heads can usually fix that. I love those heads, it's all I use on my snares.

Changing one thing on a drum affects 2 other things.

Back