Best Head for my desired sound?

Tylerdrums109

I like a really deep sounding tom with still a good tone but not too much resonance....i have been debating on whether or not i should go with clear pinstripes or clear evens ec2's.....I don't want a coated head i don't think as it makes the toms sound kind of dead... im trying to avoid that...i want a good, lively, deep sound....hope im making sense here.

Any suggestions? Thanx

I play punk/hardcore/pop punk btw if that helps at all

For metal/punk etc I still keep coming back to the Aquarian line of heads.
I think the best head for that deep/controlled sound without having to "moongel" or "tape" is the Response 2 head.
I have used the coated version, and still get lots of resonance and tone.
Imagine an Emperor or a G2 without any overtones and that's what you'll get.
Just my suggestion based on trial.
Cheers
Phil

I like a really deep sounding tom with still a good tone but not too much resonance....i have been debating on whether or not i should go with clear pinstripes or clear evens ec2's.....I don't want a coated head i don't think as it makes the toms sound kind of dead... im trying to avoid that...i want a good, lively, deep sound....hope im making sense here.

Any suggestions? Thanx

I play punk/hardcore/pop punk btw if that helps at all

I play the same kind of music and I had the same problem a few weeks ago. I used to use the pinstripes but they don't really give the kind of sound you're looking for. But a month ago I started using evans ec2's and I love them. Really high attack, very little resonence. I put the pinstripes on the reso side and it sounds pretty good.

And as wooltonboy said, the Aquarian equivilent of the ec2's are great too. I can't remeber exactly what they're called. I'm sure someone else does though

Aren't the Aquarian's called Performance 2?

The one's I'm thinking of are clear, without the fat Black circle around the outside.

Roy Burns demonstrated these heads some years ago on the Store tour he did, and they had a deep sound--I'd say hardly any 'resonance'--just the head sound, and they worked real well if you hit them soft or hard.

They got a 'the sound' at any level of force.

Pretty cool, just not the sound I look for.

Based on the sound you described, you should check out the Evans EC2 Clear heads, Evans G1 Clear for the resos. I am really happy with that combo.

Aren't the Aquarian's called Performance 2?

The one's I'm thinking of are clear, without the fat Black circle around the outside.

Roy Burns demonstrated these heads some years ago on the Store tour he did, and they had a deep sound--I'd say hardly any 'resonance'--just the head sound, and they worked real well if you hit them soft or hard.

They got a 'the sound' at any level of force.

Pretty cool, just not the sound I look for.

No, the Performance 2's are really dead sounding, unless you're playing mic'd, otherwise there's very little projection. I imagine they'd be good for recording though.
The one's I mentioned were the Response 2's. Basically a 2 ply head, but with Aquarian's seemingly "denser" film, they really do mute out a lot of overtones but still maintain some really nice resonance.
I've used the coated version live, and they sound so deep and round.
The clears would obvioulsy project an even more open sound.
They tune up VERY easily, and are very durable also.
Cheers

Thanks to all of you and i will deff get the ec2's although i had already ordered them taking a chance...but they got shipped wrong anyway and im stuck with my stock heads again...i think im just gonna get my money back and pick some up at my local music ship...the reso heads can stay for now because i think swapping the batters will be enough of a difference to satisfy my need for better sounding drums...

Ec2s are fantastic heads. I usually don't like 2-ply at all, but these are the best I've seen. You will want to make sure you have good bottom heads though. G1 Clears are always great for that. Bottom heads will impact your sound tremendously, especially with a thick batter.

That is very cool and helpful. Man I would love to hear an example like that from all the manufacturers....

I was just thinking that...and surprisingly i didnt like the drum heads with muffling rings...are the ec2''s similar...if so thats not what i want...maybe i should get a coated head?...i was playing my drums today with the single ply heads and they sound really good with only a remo o on the floor tom...i want to get a similar sound just a little deeper...but i also need more durability...any recommendations...also aquarian heads are hard to come by where i live so im thinking evans or remo

Evans G2 or Remo Emperors may well be the way to go if you want something a little more deeper and focussed than you've got with the single ply heads. Good heads too, especially the coated ones.

from what you are describing coated emperors would be perfect for you but since you don't want coated i would go for the remo clear controlled sound batters. deep punchy durable. i use a set with my band. we play heavy punk stuff. we have played some pretty ruff gigs and they still holding up after over 30 years yes 30 years thats twice my age!

I use EC2 over EC Resonant on my Pearl set, and they sound deep but not dead at all. Peace and goodwill.

Back