drum stools - a good one?

Nick G.

ive heard a lot about roc 'n' soc but i dont really know what i should be looking for when i search for stools

is it purely about comfort?

can anyone recommend me drum stools and tell me the advantages of spe ding a bit of money?

It's all about your butt, back and playing. Most importantly they got to be strong and reliable, so I would go with the "screw" or worm type adjustment or hydraulic over the the column that when you loosen the set screw the entire post just slides up and down. These are most prone to failure at the worst possible times. I own a couple of Tama First Chairs, one is the worm type adjustment and the other is hydraulic. They are very rugged, secure and comfortable. I also own a Pearl drum throne, it's nothing special, just round and it also has the "worm" adjustment. The other throne I use is a Roc-N-Soc hydraulic with a "lunar" base. It's very comfortable, more so than the others, but not as easily transportable as my other drum thrones.

Here's my Roc-N-Soc throne. I recently bought the back rest for it that's not shown.

DSC_0084.jpg

Dennis

I second the Roc-n-Soc best throne I ever had. except I have a round seat that way if it moves on you it will feel the same everytime.I hate sitting on a bicycle that's moved out of position only one way too sit on it.

Bonzolead

i think im gonna wait till my birthday and ask for one (oct 6th) as there quite expensive :D

gonna get a round one as i dont like the bicycle style (not looks, comfort)

do the bases have to be bought specifically?

I have a Tama 1st chair aswell, and it's great, it's the best seat in the house ;-). I love it, it was a major upgrade for me when I bought it (€135), but it's worth every cent.

I've been using Roc-n-Soc's for the past 5 years (tractor/bicycle style).
I'm pudgy (read short and fat) and I find them to be the most comfortable, not to mention sometimes I want to change the seat height and the hydraulic setup makes it super easy.

Chris

I'm sold on tractor seats because it's what I first started learning on on my drum teachers kit. I find them so much more comfortable.

Not for me personally but I imagine that a backrest would encourage a good posture also as it would make you sit upright. Then again would this make you lazy and rely on the backrest?

This is bit off subject, but its worth telling. An old drummer friend of mine used to have one of those old cheap 3-legged drum stools that was broken...the seated pad part of the stool would come off...when you sit on it, you would have to balance yourself or you and the seat would come crashing down....pretty dangerous stuff. Well this guy refused to buy a new stool...I guess he thought it was some great achievement to be able to jam and balance himself on the stool at the same time. Anyway, I guess there is something to be said about finding a stool that you're comfortable with and will allow you to balance your weight evenly. Personally, I like a good stable round stool that can swivel, but keep me evenly balanced.

I use and endorse the Ford Smart A$$ round with a backrest. Swedish memory foam. Every other throne just sinks to plywood or is as hard as a rock with apologies to the rock.

too bad the ford smart ass costs double the price of any other top end throne.
i use the tama ergo rider tractor style throne and have never had a problem with it, very comfortable and rotates well

IMHO - the best is soundseat

I use a retrofit model with a Gibraltar 9600 series base.

$165 for the seat plus $75 for the hardware = $240. The best $240 I've spent.

I use the Roc n Soc nitro on a lunar base. The three legged base is better for gigging in case you have an uneven stage scenario.

Not for me personally but I imagine that a backrest would encourage a good posture also as it would make you sit upright. Then again would this make you lazy and rely on the backrest?

I don't think it's irrational to wonder about this. I do think it's important to learn to sit up correctly, it's part of your technique. Once you've established this though, a backrest would just be another tool to make your life easier.

I'm looking at the Pearl Roadster w/ the backrest. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

i really like my gibraltar oversized moto throne......... very comfy and got it new for $100 shipped at music123..... the base is super sturdy and i belive that rock n sock uses the same gibraltar bases for their thrones.

Just bought the Pearl D2000 BR throne. The one with the back rest.
Fantastically comfortable, no more numb n*ts, great back rest, pulls the posture right back into line.
All in all, well worth the money, and rather alot of it in reality.

Back