kick reso: Fiberskyn or Ebony?

yammieoaks

i've got Oak Customs and got the kick with a Fiberskyn (not sure which one) reso and coated PS3 batter. i was also given a clear PS3 batter and Ebony (i think it's Ambassador since it's 1ply) reso...

i am wondering if i am playing rock, is there a huge difference between using the Fiberskyn and Ebony on the RES side?

The Fiberskyn is for more of a traditional calfskin sound, where the ebony will have more attack and clarity. Which sound do you prefer?

The Fiberskyn is for more of a traditional calfskin sound, where the ebony will have more attack and clarity. Which sound do you prefer?
on a reso does it make that much of a difference? i'm looking for a deep punch, not too bright...

Given that you have all the heads in your possession, try every combo you can think of, and see what you like. I ran a P3 batter and reso. on one of my kicks, got loads of punch. With a P3 batter and the Fiberskyn reso, you're gonna get more of a warm 60's sound. I'm not saying it's gonna sound like a 3 ply Luddie, but it's gonna have more of that vibe, than a modern sound. On the other hand, a P3 batter with an Ebony reso. (one of my favorite combo's) is gonna give you a more modern sound. Remember, it was the mid to late 70's that most of the drum companies (US) went to straight, thicker shells. Brighter, more open, more cut in the mix.

Back