Splash cymbal or not?????

one kit yes.....one 8" upsidedown directly on top of my 18" crash

other kit no

I debated this alot 2 yrs ago when I got my first kit. On one hand, having a splash really helps you develop your aim 'cause their so small, and aim is important. Obviously.

On the other hand I really wanted to concentrate on my crash and china skills since I play alot of death, doom, stoner, tech, sludge, speed, and thrash metal, and splashes are only used in jazz (yawn).

Ultimately I decided against it because I couldn't find any Pitch Black splashes.

Just putting it out there :)

... in the General Discussion section ...

Someone read my post in the the last double bass thread. LOL.

I've always used one 10" splash in all of my original bands.

When doing cover or blues gigs/jams, I don't use one.

Many times, I find the splash is an effective way to cue the singer where they are supposed to come in.

I never figured out how to play one, so rather than suffer the humiliation of being defeated by something so small and cute, I've avoided them like the plague.

Always had one. Loved the way Buddy used it but later on found it makes a mighty tasty accent cymbal.

I use a Bosphorus 11" Traditional splash as a small crash. It's fast and darker/lower pitched than you'd expect so it's fairly versatile.

My main band has a very prominent vaudeville vibe to it so my splash cymbal gets more than its fair share of use.

I like to play a game when I'm feeling lazy and don't want to set up my whole kit for rehearsals where I try to determine what is the least amount of gear I could still play our whole set with. I determined that I need snare, kick, ride, hats (although I could probably lose those if I was feeling creative) and splash.

It has never occurred to me to use a splash. The only one I ever owned-- a gift from a friend, signed by VINNIE APPICE!1-- I gave to a student. They're fun, but kind of useless. Good for dixieland. Now that you mention it, I have an old Wuhan splash in the basement-- I may have to pull that out and fool around with it.

I seldom play without one. Great for accents in quieter passages and you can never have too many cymbals!

I don't use them when playing kit, but I have a few that I use when playing hand drums that are super-thin so they open up with the tap of a finger, namely a 12" K splash and a 10" HHX Evolution splash. Also, I have a couple from the 30s that I'm merely collecting/preserving that are super-nice...

Have used them in the past. A 10" or 12" splash has found it's way onto my kit at one point or another. These days I tend to use a 15" Fast crash for accents, if I bother with one at all.

If it's good enough for Gene Krupa......

geneKrupa2.jpg

I'm pretty sure the reason I always have one laying around is:
Stewart-Copeland.jpg

although the blame for the sound of a splash often getting stuck in my head is this fellow:
neilpeartwater.jpg

But unlike Steward or Neil, I find one splash is plenty.

I've got a Zildjian 10" K splash, it's quite old now, some 25 years I think, however, I removed it when I "downsized" the kit.

I love my splash! I find many uses for it. The very last cap-note of an ending is a favorite use. I don't consider a drumset complete without a splash. Sabian 10"AAX for me please.

The first drum set I ever played on used 12" and 10" splashes, typically where crashes would go but because it's a church they didn't want a huge overpowering BOOM sound on accents. Since it's what I was trained with for a while before I got my own kit, I use one. I generally prefer small crashes (and hats for that matter) in general because to me anything over 17" gets very gongy and ride like.

I always play an 8 and a 10 splash, been part of my gear for as long as I can remember.

F

I never figured out how to play one, so rather than suffer the humiliation of being defeated by something so small and cute, I've avoided them like the plague.

Hahaha.

I've never owned one but I love how Neil Peart uses them for accents and textures. Maybe some day....

Back