John Longstreth

Frost

Silver Member
I don't know how familiar you guys are with him, but he is an absolute beast of a death metal drummer.

One of the fastest drummers I have ever seen, an absolute rhythmic skull crushing machine.

Check out the speed of the double strokes with his feet, the guy has ungodly ambidexterity as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_rNFwf-fOY

He's a legend for sure. I love the intricate cymbal and hat work on the most recent origin album, he makes his blasts sound interesting unlike a lot of metal drummers.

He is something special, in a strictly brutal sense.

I can't believe the guys control and timing, he is spot on, even at those crazy speeds.

I also love the way he alternates hands on the snare while keeping the correct tempo... man that is crazy to be able to do that playing that fast.

I also find him extremely impressive - great precision and total control at those incredible tempos. Today I learned that he doesn't do heel-toe but straight doubles. I have to get into that further, sounds interesting.

Incredibly down to earth guy too. I was fortunate enough in the past to play maybe a half dozen shows with Origin between 1998 and 2002. Just being able to talk drums with someone who is as knowledgeable as John was great, he had no ego and was more than happy to share insight and technique. Not something that can be said about everyone.

Arky, the double strokes he uses with his feet are all bounce. I haven't spent much time with learning it, I do a modified swivel, it works for me but honestly I don't need to go that fast anymore.

Here is a good video where you can see him switch between singles and doubles with his feet. It is at like 0:32 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x8BT4-uxF4 The title of the song is The Burner.

Watching John play live is a MUST for any fan of drumming. You can't help but smile and giggle like a 5 year old girl.

Thanks for the link!
Shocking precision (but he makes it look easy)... John is a machine.

One of the best death metal drummers I have ever seen. Absolutely insane precision at those speeds. He really does make it look easy.

Back