Jess Lidyard Hi-Hat Pattern On Tubeway Armys "Are Friends Electric"

harrydragon

Hi drummer buddies,

Can anyone out there tell me whether drummer Jess Lidyard is playing straight 16th note rhythms on the hi-hat with accents, or just a variety of dynamic levels from the beginning, until the end of the song. If possible, does anyone know if there is a certain technique that he uses to get those hi-hat rhythm sounds ie. moeller or push pull.

Regards

harrydragon

Last edited:
Ehm, what part of the song?

[edit]If you mean from the start, those are just straight 16th notes with accents every 8th note. I'd say he plays normal upstroke/downstroke, but there's no way of telling what specific technique he uses. It's not very fast, so he wouldn't be using push-pull (which, by the way, I don't even think existed when that was recorded).

Ehm, what part of the song?

[edit]If you mean from the start, those are just straight 16th notes with accents every 8th note. I'd say he plays normal upstroke/downstroke, but there's no way of telling what specific technique he uses. It's not very fast, so he wouldn't be using push-pull (which, by the way, I don't even think existed when that was recorded).

Thanks Rascal;692285 for the fast reply,

The hi-hat pattern I was trying to fathom out was from the beginning to the end as it was a consistent pattern. You say it's not very fast, but to me, a self taught novice drummer of 2 years, it does seem pretty fast and when I jam along to it for five and a half minutes, the length of the song, my arms and wrists become very tired. This possibly could be due to lack of practice or shortcomings in my technique

Okay, well, I'm afraid its just a matter of practicing :) I remember being stuck with Sting's Seven Days for ages before I got my right hand to play that pattern. It's fairly similar to this song in terms of tempo and accents, so I know where you're coming from. The only thing I'm saying is: don't complicate it for yourself by looking for push-pull or specific technical requirements in playing this - it's not necessary.

I'll try to post a video with the kind of technique he uses later today, that'll make it much clearer.

Back